h1 {

font-size: 18pt;

}

h2 {

font-size: 11pt;

}

what are you basing this on ?

Treasurer MFC

The fact that amongst the many things that go up to make the google so-called alogrithm & formula for SERPs is the use of <h1> & <h2> tags - headline tags below this are rated as insignificant.

See for example:

http://www.seo-guy.com/seo-tutorial/onpagevsoffpage.html

" Special attention should be given to: Title, meta description, H1, H2...H6, <b>, <i>. Keyword proximity, keyword density and relevance..."

The fact that amongst the many things that go up to make the google so-called alogrithm & formula for SERPs is the use of <h1> & <h2> tags - headline tags below this are rated as insignificant.

See for example:

http://www.seo-guy.com/seo-tutorial/onpagevsoffpage.html

" Special attention should be given to: Title, meta description, H1, H2...H6, <b>, <i>. Keyword proximity, keyword density and relevance..."

if I followed all advice from so-called seo-experts, I would now have a mickey mouse website.

Treasurer MFC

It has been shown that the SE's respond to page headers that use h1. h1 bolded is better. The above approach will work (I add mine in the root files) but you need to go through all of the files and make the change, not just index.php. The HEADING_TITLE nees to be h1, not h2 and I would question 18pt for the size but that probably depends to your site to some extent.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It has been shown that the SE's respond to page headers that use h1.  h1 bolded is better.  The above approach will work (I add mine in the root files) but you need to go through all of the files and make the change, not just index.php.  The HEADING_TITLE nees to be h1, not h2 and I would question 18pt for the size but that probably depends to your site to some extent.

Jack

it has been shown where ?

Treasurer MFC

it has been shown where ?

By people that run tests on this sort of thing. It is important to remember that no one really knows what the SE's are looking at (except for them and they aren't telling). So what people do is set up test sites. They will create a page with (for example) the text heading in h1, another identical page except the text heading is in h1 bold and still a third in which the text heading is plain. Then they wait and see what the results are. There are reports of this all over the net. Do any sort of search for seo and h1 and you will find that, in the majority of the results, the conclusion is that h1 makes a difference.

The SE's, especially google, rank on how relevant your page is to what they are looking for. The thought is that if you have something on your site that is h1 bolded, then it must be more important than the other things on your page. They also, it is believed, take into account the placement of the tag. So if you decide to put your heading at the bottom of the page, then its relevancy is lessened.

But it may noy make a difference in your case simply because it is one factor in a long list of things the SE's look at. Empirical evidence shows the h1 tag makes a difference and you should use it. Google might come out tomorrow and say that it is nonsense but until they do, the best bet is to do as the "experts" suggest and use the tag.

Also, aside from SEO, the h1 tag is used to make a page appear more profressional and should be used anyway regarless if it affects your rankings or not, IMO.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It is important here to note that the H tags are more important to document structure than to search engine trickery.

A well structured page will use H tags properly and when viewed as a stripped down version will layour like a fine outline. After all...that's why there are H tags to begin with => document structure outline.

As an example, look at this W3C validation of my main site map: W3C Validation

Scroll to the bottom and look at the outline as would be seen by a spider. That is constructed from the H tags...of course, it is easy to structure a site map. Look at this example from an internal page: W3C Validation

Notice how it uses the same well defined outline which is a sure sign of proper H tag useage.

So, let's put the myth that search engines like H tags. The more correct statement would be, "Search engines like PROPER use of H tags for document structure and not as emphasis elements".

Bobby

So, let's put the myth that search engines like H tags.  The more correct statement would be, "Search engines like PROPER use of H tags for document structure and not as emphasis elements".

...and osCommerce doesn't have any!

So, let's put the myth that search engines like H tags.  The more correct statement would be, "Search engines like PROPER use of H tags for document structure and not as emphasis elements".

Bobby

As I stated above, one should use h1 tags for their intended purpose because it is proper coding. However, for those newbies that might read this at some point, your statement that this is a myth is misleading. I think we may be playing with words here but the end result is that if you have two identical sites and change the heading on one to use h1 bolded, they are treated differently by the SE's. You could argue it is because the SE's are smart enough to know that one site is using proper coding so it is more important but that doesn't really matter for the sake of this discussion. One will rank higher than the other simply because of the tags being used (so we are told by the "experts").

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

True...it's up to the webmaster to create them in appropriate places.

Bobby

Hey Bobby,

I ran the validator on my site and it says:

This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!

The URL you gave me, <http://www.imagecritique.com>, returned a redirect to <http://localhost/>.

Is the redirect to localhost bad? I didn't see anything else on the results page that indicates problems.

As I stated above, one should use h1 tags for their intended purpose because it is proper coding.  However, for those newbies that might read this at some point, your statement that this is a myth is misleading.  I think we may be playing with words here but the end result is that if you have two identical sites and change the heading on one to use h1 bolded, they are treated differently by the SE's. You could argue it is because the SE's are smart enough to know that one site is using proper coding so it is more important but that doesn't really matter for the sake of this discussion.  One will rank higher than the other simply because of the tags being used (so we are told by the "experts").

Jack

From what I read, Jack is right. Bobby is right. And so is the gent who started this thread (thanks btw).

H1 tags are important as it is the 'start' as concerned by the spiders. Proper follow through of a outline is just a bonus but the 'start' or h1 tag is supposed to be the most important as it searches this for your keywords. There are MANY OH GOD MAAAAAANY different subjects wrapped around SEO, and I'm still trying to find someone willing to 'give up their secrets' that actually has a good SEO track record - but until then...most of my questions go unanswered as they are still using different/old techniques or have built their rank through other means (via link exchanges , many,...many...reputible link exchanges)

I have two website in the top #1 position of yahoo and google RIGHT NOW. The only reason these two sites are there is because of content. It has nothing to do with the 'proper' SEO. My topics are all hobby related but the site do generate revenue for me and others. My current business venture however, has been online now for about 1 month to the date..and I am still not ranked AT ALL for the keywords I am interested in and am following as much SEO techniques as I can. I take much of what people post/tell me and put pieces of puzzles together to formulate my own situation. We will see how it works out. I have several mini experiments running on my website that will let me see what search engines actually grab and do not grab from my site. This will allow me to focus on my strong poitns and reverberate it throughout the site based on known google/yahoo information.

Oh hell I think Illl just break down and spend the .90 cents per keyword and PPC ehhe. Then you can just be a duffus and code anything using front page and make a million bucks right? eheh

S

Archived