• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

Hi Chemo - great contrib - have been working with nimmit's sef for a while and yours looks to be a slimmer and quicker implimentation of a similar ilk, and very very easy to install. That said, I have managed to muck up something along the way; luckily I am using this on a test site, not my live one, but for some reason, all my links have a double domain name in them - for example:

Old links:

www.brendanbum.co.uk/jewellery/earrings-drop-earrings.php (with nimmit's contrib)

New links:

www.brendanbum.co.uk/jewellery/www.brendanbum.co.uk/jewellery/earrings-drop-earrings-c-45_339.html (with ultimate seo's)

I have double checked the install and cant see where I have managed to call the domain twice - any ideas??

Also, just a quick question - would this work with gzip enabled, as every other seo package I have looked into wont combine compression with the rewrite facility....

Thanks!

Edited by niknakgroup

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, please forget the above post - i unistalled and redid everything, all now working fine. Also slightly incorrect as I was previously using YASU, not nimmits sef contrib.

One quick question, how difficult is it to add code to the seo_rewrite.php script to enable mapping of previously YASU'd pages to the new ones?? I appreciate that there are loads of SEO contribs and it is impossible (or would at least make it very bulky) to cover every eventuality in the seo_rewrite code, but I would like to get my teeth sunk into the code so that I dont lose out on the excellent search engine rankings I have got myself by presenting a PAGE NOT FOUND result to customers who find me in Yahoo etc.

Any ideas??

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Hi

I've installed Ultimate SEO and the cats and product pages are working perfectly.

I also have the latest version of article manager. The problem i have is the article pages are not converting!

Just to reply to my own question, if anyone else has the articles manager contrib and wants ultimate seo to convert the links. I just found this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2921

I now have ultimate seo working with articles manager and it seems to be working fine.

Apart from one error in the code added to seo_cache.php:

# Get the topic path
 #tep_get_parent_topics($c, $record['id']);

I've deleted the above line and it's working.. Anyone know the reason for the above error and could it cause any major problems not having it?

Thanks

Neil

Sorry, please forget the above post - i unistalled and redid everything, all now working fine. Also slightly incorrect as I was previously using YASU, not nimmits sef contrib.

One quick question, how difficult is it to add code to the seo_rewrite.php script to enable mapping of previously YASU'd pages to the new ones?? I appreciate that there are loads of SEO contribs and it is impossible (or would at least make it very bulky) to cover every eventuality in the seo_rewrite code, but I would like to get my teeth sunk into the code so that I dont lose out on the excellent search engine rankings I have got myself by presenting a PAGE NOT FOUND result to customers who find me in Yahoo etc.

Any ideas??

It would be a few hours of time to recode the seo_rewrite.php script to handle the old YASU contribution URLs. It is more than possible...

I would encourage you to look at my profile and follow the links :)

Just to reply to my own question, if anyone else has the articles manager contrib and wants ultimate seo to convert the links. I just found this:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2921

I now have ultimate seo working with articles manager and it seems to be working fine.

Apart from one error in the code added to seo_cache.php:

# Get the topic path
 #tep_get_parent_topics($c, $record['id']);

I've deleted the above line and it's working.. Anyone know the reason for the above error and could it cause any major problems not having it?

Thanks

Neil

That function that you commented out populates the $c var as an array (it's passed by reference). You will break something below it that relies on the array content of that variable. What errors did you encounter?

Bobby

That function that you commented out populates the $c var as an array (it's passed by reference).  You will break something below it that relies on the array content of that variable.  What errors did you encounter?

Bobby

Hi Bobby

The error received:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_parent_topics() in /home/8183/script1/*****/public_html/includes/seo_cache.php on line 280

Regards

Neil

Hi Bobby

Excellent contribution, installed and running after finally giving up on the problems with the SEF urls contrib. I never got it to the test with cookies enabled bit you suggested.

Anyway, i now have this all in. (V2) and have just come across two problems.

1, When i edit a product or category in my Admin, the index page categories box shows an endless list of errors between the box title and the first category. This only clears when i click on a product to view.

A snippet of the errors showing are:-

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 39

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 62

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 71

2, I have installed the Ask a Product Question contribution and it doesn't show anything (clear screen) when you click to ask a question. The page only appears if you refresh it? You can see it if you click on the line below any of my products. HERE

Any help on these appreciated.

Cheers

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

Hello,

I recently upgraded in an attempt to fix a problem with a previous version and now I'm encountering something strange. For test purposes I use a sub directory of my web site to test and the root directory for the main site.

With the newest version of this contribution it is redirecting urls in the "/test/" directory back to the main directory so I cannot utilize my test site anymore. Any idea on how to fix this so I can utilize the subdirectory for testing still?

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Technical question:

I run different url-shops with the same (1) database. Can I install the contri on 1 site with the database changes and question is: do you think the other sites still run properly? I ask this because I'm not pretty sure what is installed (changed?) on the database?

Very curious about this......!

greetings,

Chris

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 39

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 62

Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /home/julianp/public_html/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 71

For each instance of the function in_array() in the includes/boxes/categories.php file put an @ symbol in front like this =-> @in_array()

The @ symbol tells PHP to suppress those annoying errors.

The reason it throws the error is that once the cache is reset it must build the data again on the very next click. Thus must be done before it is a valid array again. It will not affect the form or functionality of the menu...just suppress it.

2, I have installed the Ask a Product Question contribution and it doesn't show anything (clear screen) when you click to ask a question. The page only appears if you refresh it? You can see it if you click on the line below any of my products. HERE

Any help on these appreciated.

Cheers

Julian

I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that is a buffer issue. Further, I'm willing to bet that you have page cache installed and that is the reason there is a buffer issue. The page cache was designed to be used only on certain pages...that not being one of them.

There are 2 choices for you: turn off the page cache FOR THAT CUSTOM PAGE or turn off the GZIP compression (which adds another buffer layer). Either of these two *should* work...

Hello,

I recently upgraded in an attempt to fix a problem with a previous version and now I'm encountering something strange. For test purposes I use a sub directory of my web site to test and the root directory for the main site.

With the newest version of this contribution it is redirecting urls in the "/test/" directory back to the main directory so I cannot utilize my test site anymore. Any idea on how to fix this so I can utilize the subdirectory for testing still?

Turn off the stock osC cache system...make sure that the configure.php file has been modified to match the directory structure.

Bobby

Technical question:

I run different url-shops with the same (1) database. Can I install the contri on 1 site with the database changes and question is: do you think the other sites still run properly? I ask this because I'm not pretty sure what is installed (changed?) on the database?

Very curious about this......!

greetings,

Chris

You should be OK...

Bobby

Hi.

I'm having a minor issue with html tags embeded in my product names.

A product name examlpe:

Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo

I put a line break in there just because it reads better.

It Ends up with a URL like this:

http://www.apexdog.com/double-ply-nylon-dog-collarbrlow-visibility-camo-p-59.html

And looks like this in google:

Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo [SPP1649] $6.99
... Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo Click to ... safety collar features tough double layer construction ... for waterfowl hunters, the nylon material is ...
www.apexdog.com/ double-ply-nylonbrlowviz-camouflage-collarbrsafety-center-p-59.html -

How this looks in google is probably not related the Ultimate SEO Contrib, but if It would be a good start to figure out how to strip the characters out of the URL.

Any help??

Chemo,

I have not changed anything in my configure.php to make this start happening or installed any other modules. I double checked all the variables and have even tried pluging in different values for the variables, but each time it loads up fine but then on the second page you visit it re-adjusts all the urls and takes the directory "/test/" path out. My server cache is off also.

I'm wondering could it have something to do with this contribution's built in cache stripping the urls on the catalog page? The admin works fine still...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by homewetbar

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Hi.

I'm having a minor issue with html tags embeded in my product names.

A product name examlpe:

Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo

I put a line break in there just because it reads better.

It Ends up with a URL like this:

http://www.apexdog.com/double-ply-nylon-dog-collarbrlow-visibility-camo-p-59.html

And looks like this in google:

Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo [SPP1649] $6.99
... Double Ply Nylon Dog Collar<br>Low Visibility Camo Click to ... safety collar features tough double layer construction ... for waterfowl hunters, the nylon material is ...
www.apexdog.com/ double-ply-nylonbrlowviz-camouflage-collarbrsafety-center-p-59.html -

How this looks in google is probably not related the Ultimate SEO Contrib, but if It would be a good start to figure out how to strip the characters out of the URL.

Any help??

Not much you can do about it now since the URLs are indexed by Google. That is why you shouldn't put HTML in the product names :)

Seriously, anything you do now may do more damage than good for your site. In the future I would refrain from using ANY HTML tags in the meta content (title, keywords, description).

Chemo,

I have not changed anything in my configure.php to make this start happening or installed any other modules. I double checked all the variables and have even tried pluging in different values for the variables, but each time it loads up fine but then on the second page you visit it re-adjusts all the urls and takes the directory "/test/" path out. My server cache is off also.

I'm wondering could it have something to do with this contribution's built in cache stripping the urls on the catalog page? The admin works fine still...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Your configuration is not correct...that much is obvious. It is not related to this thread so cannot offer much more feedback. Please post your support request for setting up a sandbox area in the general support channel.

It's not hard to do and I'm 99% sure it's a setup issue...however I don't want to add 6 or 7 posts to this already long thread working out something that is not related.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby,

You were right on both errors, the @array now works for the categories box and i did have page cache on those faulty pages! All appears to be working fine.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

New question.

I use a search engine simulator to check the site after mods and the address bar has gone Very very long in the eyes of SE. (I can't see the extra osCsid= bits on my site.)

Is there a way to get rid of the OsComID after the URL. All my addresses are seen as follows:-

14 - http://www.leisurezone.co.uk/air-hockey-tables-c-21.html?osCsid=ae23c0a0f56a4a0663f569d6059d1f6e OK. 
15 - http://www.leisurezone.co.uk/battery-vehicles-c-58.html?osCsid=ae23c0a0f56a4a0663f569d6059d1f6e OK. 
16 - http://www.leisurezone.co.uk/bouncy-castles-c-45.html?osCsid=ae23c0a0f56a4a0663f569d6059d1f6e OK. 
17 - http://www.leisurezone.co.uk/childrens-games-c-22.html?osCsid=ae23c0a0f56a4a0663f569d6059d1f6e OK. 
18 -

Any help,

Thanks again

Julian

A little knowledge is dangerous, I SHOULD KNOW.

If Life Begins At 40, What ends????

New question.

I use a search engine simulator to check the site after mods and the address bar has gone Very very long in the eyes of SE. (I can't see the extra osCsid= bits on my site.)

Is there a way to get rid of the OsComID after the URL. All my addresses are seen as follows:-

Any help,

Thanks again

Julian

Julian,

First, since you have posted links with osCsid's you'll need to turn on the Recreate Sessions option.

Your site is functioning properly. I have checked it with my spider simulator. The problem with other spider simulators is that they are NOT true spider simulators. They send the user agent of Firefox/Mozilla/Internet Explorer or something other but definitely NOT googlebot. My spider simulator is more accurate since it allows you to choose between 3 user agents: googlebot, Chemo's spider, or Firefox.

Googlebot user agent: no osCsid's

Chemo's Spider: no osCsid's

Firefox: osCsid's present

Your site checks out.

Bobby

Edited by Chemo

Hi,

I am having difficulty installing this contribution, and am wondering if someone can give me a hand. After installation, none of my links work. I get an error message saying that there are too many redirects, and the page cannot be displayed. I am anything but a professional, and have searched for the root of the problem, but have been unable to find it. If anybody has ran into this problem and found a solution, I would love to hear from you.

I am using osC 2.2 ms2 on unix apache server.

Thanks in advance!

NaturalSamba

Hi!

I installed your contribution. Everything went smooth.

I used the Search Engine Friendly urls setting in admin before. So I turned it off and turned Ultimate SEO on.... Nothing happens! My links are now: product_info.php?cPath=28_45&products_id=383

Neither the rewrite nor the cName mode make any difference.

I double checked everything and all the files have been modified as stated in the install file. The database tables have been created successfully too.

It is a live store so i changed evereything back because search engines have my links listed as /product_info.php/cPath/28_45/products_id/383

Please help!

Apparently the main search engine in our country favours kewords in urls before anything else. I really need this contribution to work because all the others have problems.

Thank you for your answer.

miha23, do you use another contribution for the url's also? because normally the use search engine friendly urls shouldn't work....... Show us your configure.php?

latersssss,

Chris

miha23, do you use another contribution for the url's also? because normally the use search engine friendly urls shouldn't work....... Show us your configure.php?

latersssss,

Chris

No I use sCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2...not even a snapshot. I switched it on and it worked?!

I have many contributions installed but none have to do with urls.

Which part of the confugure.php do you need?

Thanks

hi,

i just installed ultimate seo urls. its really a great contrib, but it doesnt work "completely" on my shop.

some links work, others not.

the first thee products on this page(dont be confused its a german page ;))

http://www.rc-heaven.de/oscommerce/catalog/akkus-c-33.html

have the right (rewriten) url .. the last 2 products still have the old urls ...

anyone got a clue why some products work and others dont?

thanks in advance

Florian

Try to delete cache file. It worked for me.

hi,

i just installed ultimate seo urls. its really a great contrib, but it doesnt work "completely" on my shop.

some links work, others not.

the first thee products on this page(dont be confused its a german page ;))

http://www.rc-heaven.de/oscommerce/catalog/akkus-c-33.html

have the right (rewriten) url .. the last 2 products still have the old urls ...

anyone got a clue why some products work and others dont?

thanks in advance

Florian