• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

Just an added note. Your more specific search term of OSCOMMERCE:

Searches done in December 2004

Count Search Term

8674 oscommerce

I have 3 main keywords/phrases. To be fair, I'll choose keyword phrases that are by far, never thought of in our gameplan as our targets as they are FAR fewer searches. We are page #1 for these two keyword/keyword prhases with our policy/privacy .php files...prior to Ultimate SEO install these were actual category/products in these places.

Mine:

Count Search Term

11,864 Example Widget

Count Search Term

12410 Example widget

These are the keywords we would pick to target probably 10th and 11th on our list.

Just want to help Bobby. Just trying to make the best of a situation. Good luck with your contrib and thanks for all the time you have spent with this contrib and several others! Hopefully I'll see you in our SEO thread once I compile data and start it.

S

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you uninstall this contrib Bobby?

I've removed all the lines of code, the rewrite in my access file, the outcache folder, and all the associated upload files. However it is STILL in my admin area and obvioulsy in the database. Did you create a seperate database table for this and how do I get rid of anything else that may still be trailing?

S

How do you uninstall this contrib Bobby? 

I've removed all the lines of code, the rewrite in my access file, the outcache folder, and all the associated upload files.  However it is STILL in my admin area and obvioulsy in the database.  Did you create a seperate database table for this and how do I get rid of anything else that may still be trailing?

S

Remove the files you installed - Which would mean do the install backwards....

Use the install files to remove the database settings. If you have already removed those then you will have to re-upload and run uninstall or manually remove the cache table and the configuration settings.

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Ive just put the version 2b onto my site and in the admin for seo i get this error

Warning: call_user_func(tep_reset_cache_data_seo_urls): First argument is expected to be a valid callback in /home/httpd/vhosts/domain1.com/httpdocs/catalog/idadmin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1252

and on my store I get the following error

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_FUNCTION in /home/httpd/vhosts/domain1.com/httpdocs/catalog/includes/functions/general.php on line 1325

any reason why this would be?

It sounds like you have a cut-n-paste error. Check both files to make sure there are no strange characters that were pasted. This sometimes happens when pasting from the text area and most often puts a strange character at the end of the closing bracket. If you find this strange character (I have no idea what it is) then delete it and save the files.

Bobby

That function should not be on the store side...that is admin side only. Either way you should not be getting that error unless there was a cut-n-paste problem.

Bobby

I found out why SEO software and spiders did not seem to like my store after I installed the SEO URL's CONTRIBUTION. I had also recently installed the Auto Logon Contribution, and it turns out that installation of the Auto Logon Contribution will greatly hinder your chances of good, or any, search engine placement. It uses a redirect every time a URL from your store is called, checking to see if the user has a cookie on their machine by taking you to the logoff page and back. Apparently the problem was not with the SEO URL's Contribution.

Just an FYI - Don't use the Auto Logon Contribution! The only good thing about it is that it can be turned off via admin, so I did not need to uninstall it.

-Aaron

Very cool Aaron. Now, we know we weren't crazy. And I can quit thinking about it. That was just too weird.

Well done. :thumbsup:

And Rochdalemark, been there, done that. :D

And I even got specs. Didn't help. Sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

The following redirect script didn't work for me.

Script name: seo_redirect.php

Contribution: Ultimate SEO URLs v2.x

Version: 1.1

Date: 13 February 2005

I had to change this:

$this->uri_parsed = strlen($this->path_info) > 0
?	parse_url( basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) . '?' . $this->parse_path($this->path_info) )
:	parse_url( basename($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) );

To this:

$this->uri_parsed = parse_url( basename($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) );

Now it seems to work great!

help!!

I installed this contrib with absolutely no problems in my DEV site. I simply copied across the files to my LIVE site and i get the following error when i select a category:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_manufacturers_id() in /home/marc2834/public_html/includes/application_top.php on line 579

The code between the DEV and Live is the same?? any ideas? .htaccess changed to the root and updated as specified....

thanks

Marcus

Hi,

I'm back again :/

Well it was all working perfectly and I've just broken it. My session ids are showing again on every page. I have installed HeaderTags_V_2.4, is there a known conflict? Everything had been running fine until I did this install.

My OSC site

user name: demo

pw: oscuser

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm now ready to go live.

Thanks in advance.

I just logged in and all looks well here. I get the id's at first then they are gone. ;)

Paul

Hi,

Well it was all working perfectly and I've just broken it. My session ids are showing again on every page. I have installed HeaderTags_V_2.4, is there a known conflict? Everything had been running fine until I did this install.

My OSC site

Thanks in advance.

Hi Marcus,

I have looked through my files and don't find reference to that "tep" function. Can you give us any more info? Like the versions of your OSC and which install of this mod you are using. Oh, and a site Url might help too. ;)

Paul

help!!

I installed this contrib with absolutely no problems in my DEV site. I simply copied across the files to my LIVE site and i get the following error when i select a category:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_manufacturers_id() in /home/marc2834/public_html/includes/application_top.php on line 579

The code between the DEV and Live is the same?? any ideas? .htaccess changed to the root and updated as specified....

thanks

Marcus

Bobby,

1.) Is seo_rewrite.php designed to (also) rewrite YASU URLs to Ultimate SEO URLs?

YASU example:

http://www.mydomain.com/shop/Tools/Hammers...Titanium+Hammer

My YASU URLs are listed in several search engines, and I want to change from YASU to Ultimate SEO without losing the links.

2.) The update to SiteMap MS2 2.2 now displays only one sub-category level? Is there a way to display two?

Thanks,

Eric_K

Hi,

Having a problem that seems to be related to Seo URLs to some extent as when I turn off SEO URLs the problem goes away.

With SEO URLs on, all the links (that I have been able to test so far seem okay except for when I add a product to my cart and then select the product in my shopping cart or the shopping cart arrow... actually now I have intermittent problems when I click on my logo which has a link to my homepage. Definately something buggy going on.

Any ideas?

Just so you know I have also recently install SEO Sitemap too which also uses the .htaccess file, etc.

I also have the newest version of SEO URLs and also the seo_redirect file.

my website is at http://www.strollersunshades.ca

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi,

Having a problem that seems to be related to Seo URLs to some extent as when I turn off SEO URLs the problem goes away.

With SEO URLs on, all the links (that I have been able to test so far seem okay except for when I add a product to my cart and then select the product in my shopping cart or the shopping cart arrow...  actually now I have intermittent problems when I click on my logo which has a link to my homepage. Definately something buggy going on.

Any ideas?

Just so you know I have also recently install SEO Sitemap too which also uses the .htaccess file, etc.

Thanks,

Kathy

Oh, the error message I get is "Redirection limit for this url exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked."

Kathy,

Just noticed I have this same problem - the product image and text link in the shopping cart look like this: ../catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28{2}5{5}24

Any ideas what's causing this?

Thanks,

Eric_K

Kathy,

Just noticed I have this same problem - the product image and text link in the shopping cart look like this: ../catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28{2}5{5}24

Thanks,

Eric_K

No, idea yet. Just trying to have a look at it all to see what could be causing it as I have recently added a few contributions that all have to do with SEO stuff... mainly this one and the seo sitemap one.

I actually get the error message I mentioned before in Firefox but get a page cannot be displayed error in IE.

I love the idea of these contributions and really want to sort it all out... I am ssure it is probably just something silly that we are overlooking.

Do you happen to have both this contribution and the seo sitemap ones (or other seo contributions?).

Does the problem also goes away if you set disable seo urls in admin?

Getting concerned though as now I have a bunch of links in MSN and so on that are getting 404 errors... not sure if this is all related. I also had the Spider Session Remover installed (basically just an .htaccess file addition) which I uninstalled to make sure that wasing causing any problems.

Will keep poking around to see if I come up with anything.

Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Kathy

No, idea yet. Just trying to have a look at it all to see what could be causing it as I have recently added a few contributions that all have to do with SEO stuff... mainly this one and the seo sitemap one.

I actually get the error message I mentioned before in Firefox but get a page cannot be displayed error in IE.

I love the idea of these contributions and really want to sort it all out... I am ssure it is probably just something silly that we are overlooking.

Do you happen to have both this contribution and the seo sitemap ones (or other seo contributions?).

Does the problem also goes away if you set disable seo urls in admin?

Getting concerned though as now I have a bunch of links in MSN and so on that are getting 404 errors... not sure if this is all related.  I also had the  Spider Session Remover installed (basically just an .htaccess file addition) which I uninstalled to make sure that wasing causing any problems.

Will keep poking around to see if I come up with anything.

Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Kathy

oh, and yeah, my product text link in the cart looks like this: ../catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45{1}6{2}8 and plus I get a super long sid attached to it and I thought that I saw what look like a second sid attached to it as well.

Hmm.

Well, just so you know, I am sort of a newbie, but I like fixing things... so the desire to figure this out is there, but that doesn't mean I have the know-how... so please don't hold your breathe hoping that I can sort this out... we probably need Chemo or someone... but maybe we will get lucky.

Kathy

The following redirect script didn't work for me. 

Script name: seo_redirect.php

Contribution: Ultimate SEO URLs v2.x

Version: 1.1

Date: 13 February 2005

I had to change this:

$this->uri_parsed = strlen($this->path_info) > 0
?	parse_url( basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']) . '?' . $this->parse_path($this->path_info) )
:	parse_url( basename($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) );

To this:

$this->uri_parsed = parse_url( basename($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) );

Now it seems to work great!

The code you removed was for those that had SEF URLs enabled previously. If you did NOT have SEF URLs enabled before installing this contribution that modification is acceptable. However, if you DID have it enabled you have just defeated the whole purpose of the redirect script.

help!!

thanks

Marcus

Why not look on line 579 and see what it is related to?

Hi,

My OSC site

Thanks in advance.

When I click on your link I get a login prompt.

Bobby,

1.) Is seo_rewrite.php designed to (also) rewrite YASU URLs to Ultimate SEO URLs? 

YASU example:

http://www.mydomain.com/shop/Tools/Hammers...Titanium+Hammer

My YASU URLs are listed in several search engines, and I want to change from YASU to Ultimate SEO without losing the links.

2.) The update to SiteMap MS2 2.2 now displays only one sub-category level? Is there a way to display two?

Thanks,

Eric_K

The redirect script is NOT coded for other SEO URL contributions. My recommendation is to stick with the one you have since coversion will be a significant risk.

Hi,

With SEO URLs on, all the links (that I have been able to test so far seem okay except for when I add a product to my cart and then select the product in my shopping cart or the shopping cart arrow...  actually now I have intermittent problems when I click on my logo which has a link to my homepage. Definately something buggy going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kathy

Make sure you have the latest redirect script installed. I have completely recoded it from scratch to eliminate that problem.

Kathy,

Thanks,

Eric_K

That string after the products_id is the attributes for that product. It is not caused by the contribution other than the fact by default it sends all redirects with all GET parameters. This was done for maximum compatibility.

oh, and yeah, my product text link in the cart looks like this: ../catalog/product_info.php?products_id=45{1}6{2}8 and plus I get a super long sid attached to it and I thought that I saw what look like a second sid attached to it as well.

Hmm.

Well, just so you know, I am sort of a newbie, but I like fixing things... so the desire to figure this out is there, but that doesn't mean I have the know-how... so please don't hold your breathe hoping that I can sort this out... we probably need Chemo or someone... but maybe we will get lucky.

Kathy

The string after the produdcts_id is the attributes.

The SID is most likely a symptom of your configure.php settings. Make sure you cookie domain and path are set correctly. Also, update your spiders.txt file and turn on Prevent Spider Sessions.

...back to coding the next contribution I go :)

Bobby

The code you removed was for those that had SEF URLs enabled previously.  If you did NOT have SEF URLs enabled before installing this contribution that modification is acceptable.  However, if you DID have it enabled you have just defeated the whole purpose of the redirect script.

Why not look on line 579 and see what it is related to?

When I click on your link I get a login prompt.

The redirect script is NOT coded for other SEO URL contributions.  My recommendation is to stick with the one you have since coversion will be a significant risk.

Make sure you have the latest redirect script installed.  I have completely recoded it from scratch to eliminate that problem.

That string after the products_id is the attributes for that product.  It is not caused by the contribution other than the fact by default it sends all redirects with all GET parameters.  This was done for maximum compatibility.

The string after the produdcts_id is the attributes.

The SID is most likely a symptom of your configure.php settings.  Make sure you cookie domain and path are set correctly.  Also, update your spiders.txt file and turn on Prevent Spider Sessions.

...back to coding the next contribution I go :)

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I do have the latest redirect installed. I have tried playing around with my configure.php file and I think everything is okay (not seeing the sid in FireFox but still see it in IE).

I have an updated spiders.txt file and I also have Prevent Spider Sessions set to true.

Still haven't resolved this problem.

Could it be a possible contribution conflict? Anything else you can suggest?

Kathy

Hi Bobby,

I do have the latest redirect installed. I have tried playing around with my configure.php file and I think everything is okay (not seeing the sid in FireFox but still see it in IE).

I have an updated spiders.txt file and I also have Prevent Spider Sessions set to true.

Still haven't resolved this problem.

Could it be a possible contribution conflict? Anything else you can suggest?

Kathy

Kathy,

The latest version of Internet Explorer default to COOKIES DISABLED. This is a default install setting and you must change it to accept cookies or accept cookies from your site.

As a side note, this is a major reason why store owners should fix their configure and forcing customers to have cookies enabled...most customers are not THAT web savvy and will get frustrated at the cookie screen and leave without purchasing.

Bobby