What to do?

Greets,

Panzz

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chemo,

first of all thank you for your scripts and all the input you give in the forum. I've installed Ultimate SEO 2.0 and everything works fine, but I have the same problem as ErnstSteiniger (this thread page 17): it is not possible to switch from one language to another, if you are deeper than the index page. Switching the language will return no products found (I use cname). search-engine safe urls is set to "false".

Any idea what to change? Thank you in advance and greetings from Germany, Philipp

greetings from Germany

Philipp

Hi chemo !

I have upgraded your contrib on my site but i have still problems with customer sessions,all work fine until i click on nonssl link, when i go on from ssl to nonssl, my account information disappear, and when i 'm come back on ssl i retrieve my information, my cart disappear so, could you say me in which direction to seek I am lost, My Webpage

thanks a lot for your help :'(

Yes you were right!

I forgot that step even though I was being so careful  :'( 

After this I got a couple of parse errors unexpected '}' in html_output, I removed those and that seemed to fix that only for it to give a fatal error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_parent_categories() in /home/reesy/public_html/shop/includes/seo_cache.php on line 175

It sounds like you are either running a MS2-CVS or MS1 store. If you are running either of these two it is unsupported...but can be installed with a few modifications. It is not within the scope of thread though.

I might contact Bobby to see if he would be interested in installing this for me - I think this is the safest way forward.

Sure I could install it for you but why not figure it out for yourself? This way in the future is something needs to be modified you have the experience to do further work by yourself. Free yourself from the reliance on others...it'll be cheaper in the end.

@Bobby

I have installed the redirect beta2:

The Site loads correct, no error like in beta1:

index.php?index.php

But when I call a product like this:

product_info.php?pName=chastain-the-voice-of-the-cult

product_info.php?products_id=229

I have a error = product not found

What to do?

Greets,

Panzz

Do you have the latest redirect code installed? I have tested with both of those scenarios and it works flawlessly.

Chemo,

first of all thank you for your scripts and all the input you give in the forum. I've installed Ultimate SEO 2.0 and everything works fine, but I have the same problem as ErnstSteiniger (this thread page 17): it is not possible to switch from one language to another, if you are deeper than the index page. Switching the language will return no products found (I use cname). search-engine safe urls is set to "false".

Any idea what to change? Thank you in advance and greetings from Germany, Philipp

What is your URL?

Hi chemo !

I have upgraded your contrib on my site but i have still problems with customer sessions,all work fine until i click on nonssl link, when i go on from ssl to nonssl, my account information disappear, and when i 'm come back on ssl  i retrieve my information, my cart disappear so, could you say me in which direction to seek I am lost, My Webpage

thanks a lot for your help :'(

Your configure.php settings are not correct...specifically the http/https cookie domain and cookie paths.

Explaining how to set it up is beyond the scope of this support thread. Please post your request on the general support channel.

As a quick tip: it looks like you have force cookie use to true in admin control panel with a shared SSL. This is a big no-no....

Bobby

It sounds like you are either running a MS2-CVS or MS1 store. If you are running either of these two it is unsupported...but can be installed with a few modifications. It is not within the scope of thread though.

Sure I could install it for you but why not figure it out for yourself? This way in the future is something needs to be modified you have the experience to do further work by yourself. Free yourself from the reliance on others...it'll be cheaper in the end.

FYI Im currently running an osc 2.2 msc store from a snapshot no older than 1 month old.

There comes a point when after you have sucessfully installed many other contribs (13+ at the last count) and something goes wrong like it did above, you somewhat hold your breath! All those hours you put in flash before your eyes and your last hope are some backuped files and the trust in some guy who kindly made the contrib.

What I would be most interested in seeing are some working sites other than your test site if anyone would be so kind.

Do you have the latest version installed with the cache class??

Bobby

I have installed the "Ultimate SEO URLs v2.0" from 1 Feb 2005, and i've choosen step 4 (1a) IF YOU DO NOT HAVE PAGE CACHE INSTALLED REPLACE WITH THIS CODE...

I just tried it with 4 (1b) IF YOU HAVE PAGE CACHE INSTALLED REPLACE WITH THIS CODE...

but there is no better result concerning the language-switching

Sorry, I am just beginning with php, until now i made just some copy and paste and I am far far away from real understanding of the meaning or using of cache and those things...

greetings from Germany

Philipp

Chemo,

This is a FANTASTIC contribution and your support has been outstanding.

I think this contribution deserves a paypal donation from users as a way of thanks. OSC wouldn't be what it is now becoming if it were not for people like you.

Looking forward see seeing your good ideas in the future, and getting the credit you deserve.

I forgot:

THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE STOCK OSCOMMERCE SEF URL'S OPTION!

Be sure to turn it off...

Bobby

Hi,

In the install information, it states to set Prevent Spider Sessions to False. You have also stated in this topic that the contribution in not compatible with SEF URL's and that it should be turned off... is this all correct?

I want to be able to prevent spider sessions.... is there another contribution that can do this that you know is compatible with your contribution? Or is allowing spider sessions necessary for the functioning of SEO Urls contribution?

Thanks,

Kathy

To install just upload and add one line of code to application_top.php.  The cut-n-paste install directions are in the file.

Bobby, thanks for clarifying this. Even though I asked a couple of times, nobody stated the obvious. I have never encountered a contribution where the install instructions were in the actual file.

Susan

Hi,

In the install information, it states to set Prevent Spider Sessions to False. You have also stated in this topic that the contribution in not compatible with SEF URL's and that it should be turned off... is this all correct?

I want to be able to prevent spider sessions.... is there another contribution that can do this that you know is compatible with your contribution? Or is allowing spider sessions necessary for the functioning of SEO Urls contribution?

Thanks,

Kathy

I am not sure where you got that information, but you can and should use prevent sessions and yes, any other SEF system should be disabled.

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

I am not sure where you got that information, but you can and should use prevent sessions and yes, any other SEF system should be disabled.

Hi again,

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear! But just to let you know I got the information about setting the prevent spider sessions from the contribution install_en.txt file "

13. In the OSC Admin Configuration/Session panel set "Prevent Spider Sessions" to "false". "

So was is this a mistake in the documentation? If so, hopefully someone can fix it..

So just to clarify. I can and should set "Prevent Spider Sessions" to True in admin/configuration/sessions and set "Use Search Engine Safe Urls" to falso (which it already is) in admin/configuration/my store.... is this correct!

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi again,

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear! But just to let you know I got the information about setting the prevent spider sessions from the contribution install_en.txt  file "

13. In the OSC Admin Configuration/Session panel set "Prevent Spider Sessions" to "false". "

So was is this a mistake in the documentation? If so, hopefully someone can fix it..

So just to clarify. I can and should set "Prevent Spider Sessions" to True in  admin/configuration/sessions and set "Use Search Engine Safe Urls" to falso (which it already is) in admin/configuration/my store.... is this correct!

Thanks,

Kathy

I can not believe my embarrassment, the contribution that the above information came from is actually the SEO Sitemap one. I have recently install both contributions and must have got mixed up. I will check with the correct person about this. Sorry and thanks!

I have installed the "Ultimate SEO URLs v2.0" from 1 Feb 2005, and i've choosen step 4 (1a) IF YOU DO NOT HAVE PAGE CACHE INSTALLED REPLACE WITH THIS CODE...

I just tried it with 4 (1b) IF YOU HAVE PAGE CACHE INSTALLED REPLACE WITH THIS CODE...

but there is no better result concerning the language-switching

Sorry, I am just beginning with php, until now i made just some copy and paste and I am far far away from real understanding of the meaning or using of cache and those things...

Does the Rewrite option not work on your store? Have you installed the automatic redirect script?

Chemo,

This is a FANTASTIC contribution and your support has been outstanding.

I think this contribution deserves a paypal donation from users as a way of thanks. OSC wouldn't be what it is now becoming if it were not for people like you.

Looking forward see seeing your good ideas in the future, and getting the credit you deserve.

Thank you for your kind words...

Bobby,

Do you think SE's consider the duplicate products (one from long url and one from short) as spam and penalize?  Or do you think one ignores the other.  So far, I am still getting LONG urls indexed, and the short ones rarely.

S

Install the latest automatic redirect code...

I can not believe my embarrassment, the contribution that the above information came from is actually the SEO Sitemap one. I have recently install both contributions and must have got mixed up. I will check with the correct person about this. Sorry and thanks!

Disabling the Prevent Spider Sessions option is a bad decision...NEVER disable the prevent spider sessions. It is one of the most useful code blocks in osCommerce (this is purely my opinion).

Bobby

Bobby,

I think the auto redirect is ACritical at this moment. Check this out, new listings on MSN - page 1 rank 1 + 2 for a MUCH lesser keyword than I wish but hey. BUT the only problem is , it still has the session ids attached (probably from a former life) and it goes to privacy.php and conditions.php LOL! ARGH.

www.example.com/privacy.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

You looked at my site and saw everything was working properly. Why is MSN still doing this?

Will the redirect kill all of this or at least redirect my customers to the right spot lol!

S

Does the Rewrite option not work on your store?? Have you installed the automatic redirect script?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with saying, that even though your documentation is really perfect and foolproof i get an error, when i put the .htaccess file in the catalog file (i changed /folder/ to /catalog/). The error is Error 403.

It is not a windows server and the serverinfo says that mod_rewrite is a loaded module. I have another .htaccess in the admin level to protect the admin area, but that should not be the problem.

The automatic redirect script i havn't installed yet.

Sorry for boring you and the thread with these beginners failures, i really try to solve the problems by reading before asking...

Edited by Johnny99

greetings from Germany

Philipp

Bobby this may be a bit off the topic, and I apologize but I've posed this question several times and haven't heard a response from anyone...SO I am wondering if you know how I can nix the robots from crawling things like product_review.php etc. I have it disallowed in robots.txt - but it still crawls it. So I am trying to field it with a start after it. I am also wondering if you know if my urls are 'seo safe' like this:

http://www.example.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=2 I installed this contrib so I could easily edit things that will change often.

Anyway, here's my robots.txt file.

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

Disallow: /usage/

Disallow: /images/

Disallow: /(censoredadminfolder)/

Disallow: /tmp/

Disallow: /account.php

Disallow: /shopping_cart.php

Disallow: /checkout_shipping.php

Disallow: /login.php

Disallow: /create_account.php

Disallow: /advanced_search.php

Disallow: /product_review*

Disallow: /product_reviews_write*

Disallow: /cookie_usage.php

Bobby this may be a bit off the topic, and I apologize but I've posed this question several times and haven't heard a response from anyone...SO I am wondering if you know how I can nix the robots from crawling things like product_review.php etc.  I have it disallowed in robots.txt - but it still crawls it.  So I am trying to field it with a start after it.  I am also wondering if you know if my urls are 'seo safe' like this:

http://www.example.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=2  I installed this contrib so I could easily edit things that will change often.

Disallow: /product_review*

Disallow: /product_reviews_write*

you cannot use wildcards * in robots.txt

Treasurer MFC

My concern is, if you do a search for anything on our website, without our website name..things I know we rank high for, MSN has DROPPED our links to actual categories or products and has put ONLY our products.php and policies.php!!!!!!

Why is this occuring!

It's like it doesn't like the SEO URLs and is only ranking .php info. ANd the last thing I want next is a page with NO content like product reviews etc.

ok so I'll remove the product reviews.. how do I keep them from crawling that then, and how do I get the spiders to index ACTUAL urls.

I notice my competition has ONLY their main url www.example.com for all the searches you do for them. They run a flat html site. Are the urls hurting me, and is it possible MSN doesn't like the urls Ultimate SEO are putting out?

I also noticed that when you do a simulated spider crawl, you get BOTH long url categories/products and shortened (rewrite) urls. I asked a few people in some SEO forums and this is considered SPAMMING or dup content and often actually LOSES rank because of the 'one click issue'.

Comments? THANKS!

S

Ok hate to beat a dead bush and if I am annoying you bobby please let me know, I only want the best SEO for myself and everyone else here so we 'do the right things'..

so...

I also noticed another VERY INTERESTING thing just now. Our biggest competition that has a page rank of #1 with yahoo, google, and msn...run osCOmmerce! NONE of their urls are listed with long session ids. How? Also,they must us another contrib that does some cname wrapping, and there is no 'first click' issue where until the first click you don't get the shortened urls...theirs are shortened rigth from the start! And they are not being harmed whatsoever by having a catalog directory for their store. IE: http://www.example.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=20

The whole dupped or spammed content lends merits as to why my only .php files on my website are ranking the highest when someone searches because my keyword phrase is in the categories. Now where its located with much more and relevent content, it's not listed at all or is listed very low in the pages because of the First click issue I think.

I replicated this problem with probably 7 keyword/keyword phrases.

If this is the case, then contrib likes extra pages, link manager etc are rather 'neutral' as to their true seo value. Might be time to go back to .php files for everything and IS THERE a cname contrib that wraps everything the FIRST time without a first click issue? Also is there a contrib that allows you to create .php files like article.php and links.php using a simple editor like extra pages but you still keep the .php endings without the .php?page_2 type of stuff.

S

Edited by Sincraft

Bobby,

I think the auto redirect is ACritical at this moment.  Check this out, new listings on MSN - page 1 rank 1 + 2 for a MUCH lesser keyword than I wish but hey.  BUT the only problem is , it still has the session ids attached (probably from a former life) and it goes to privacy.php and conditions.php LOL!  ARGH.

www.example.com/privacy.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

You looked at my site and saw everything was working properly.  Why is MSN still doing this?

Will the redirect kill all of this or at least redirect my customers to the right spot lol!

S

If your Prevent Spider Sessions is true AND your spiders.txt file is updated then the SIDs should be suppressed.

As further enforcement of this the redirect code uses tep_href_link() to form the redirect URL. So, if it is a spider it will drop the osCsid and redirect to the correct page WITHOUT the osCsid and also send a 301 header. Over time it will drop the osCsid page from its index.

This is true with every spider that is listed or can be identified with the spiders.txt file.

I feel a bit uncomfortable with saying, that even though your documentation is really perfect and foolproof i get an error, when i put the .htaccess file in the catalog file (i changed /folder/ to /catalog/). The error is Error 403.

It is not a windows server and the serverinfo says that mod_rewrite is a loaded module. I have another .htaccess in the admin level to protect the admin area, but that should not be the problem.

The automatic redirect script i havn't installed yet.

Sorry for boring you and the thread with these beginners failures, i really try to solve the problems by reading before asking...

Ask your host what the OptionsOverride setting is in the Apache config file. If the setting is "none" then you will not be able to use rewrite until they change it.

Disallow: /product_review.php

Disallow: /product_reviews_write.php

You cannot have wildcards in a robots.txt file. Notice above the simple answer is to just list the script with the php extension.

My concern is, if you do a search for anything on our website, without our website name..things I know we rank high for, MSN has DROPPED our links to actual categories or products and has put ONLY our products.php and policies.php!!!!!!

Why is this occuring!

It's like it doesn't like the SEO URLs and is only ranking .php info.  ANd the last thing I want next is a page with NO content like product reviews etc.

ok so I'll remove the product reviews..  how do I keep them from crawling that then, and how do I get the spiders to index ACTUAL urls.

I notice my competition has ONLY their main url www.example.com for all the searches you do for them.  They run a flat html site.  Are the urls hurting me, and is it possible MSN doesn't like the urls Ultimate SEO are putting out?

I also noticed that when you do a simulated spider crawl, you get BOTH long url categories/products and shortened (rewrite) urls.  I asked a few people in some SEO forums and this is considered SPAMMING or dup content and often actually LOSES rank because of the 'one click issue'.

Comments? THANKS!

S

Your site apparently has more issues that you are not aware of or are seeing the results of bad SEO technique.

MSN favors the SEO URLs. How do I know?

Search MSN for 'oscommerce technical support' and my brand new site (about 2 months old) is the #1 result.

Search MSN for 'oscommerce'. My brand new site is the #6 result. Note that the oscommerce keyword is very broad and much more competitive than the 'oscommerce technical support' keyphrase.

Search MSN for 'oscommerce optimization' and my dev site is the #1 result.

The point is that all of the sites I've installed the contribution are doing well in the rankings and are not caching the osCsid. This leads me to believe it is in YOUR particular setup or previous SEO activity.

Ok hate to beat a dead bush and if I am annoying you bobby please let me know, I only want the best SEO for myself and everyone else here so we 'do the right things'..

so...

I also noticed another VERY INTERESTING thing just now. Our biggest competition that has a page rank of #1 with yahoo, google, and msn...run osCOmmerce!

Scott,

Your questions are getting to be really off-topic of the thread which is to offer technical support for the Ultimate SEO URLs contribution...not to provide general SEO support. I believe osCommerce should create a separate channel for the discussion of SEO topics but your questions are beyond the scope of this support thread.

My first assessment is that your competition is listed in DMOZ, Yahoo Directory, and the MSN directory. You are seeing the power of being listed in directories versus reciprocal linking.

For future discussion of your SEO problems please start a thread either in the general support channel or general chit chat. I will not field any more of your general SEO qeustions in there as they are not related to the Ultimate SEO URLs contribution. I realize that you may feel they are but in reality there is no connection to your poor SERP's and the contribution. You need to explore where you have gone wrong and this is not the thread to do it in.

Bobby

I apologize Bobby, I thought the idea behind this contrib was for better SEO. WHen you search for your keywords, I am pretty sure I could produce the same results using nothing but a stock osC install and properly producing about 800 words of unique text and a 5% density and BAM be #1 for all searches.

When somone actually has a keyword that has competition and can provide page #1 results..then that is something to look at as 'true' results.

When .php ending files are being ranked highest (which are policy and conditions) that says something. It implicates a 'true' shortened url is golden over the stock version. Installing a contrib such as yours which claims better SEO and taking much time to ensure it is working properly - surely lends merit to the purpose of this thread and SEO discussion..after all...it is why we are installing this?

I will however leave your thread and bid you good luck...

S