• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

There are no line breaks. IS there anything else you could think of??

-Aaron

Aaron, as a fellow Apple :thumbsup: user, here is a suggestion. Do you have BBEdit Lite? If so, you can use it (or similar program) to show invisible characters, then use Zap Gremlins to get rid of any characters that don't belong in your file. Line breaks that don't show up in a normal text editor may be one such type of character. I can't tell you how many times that has saved me from bizarro errors on my oscommerce site! :D

Susan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby,

On my version of osC, every table name has the prefix "oscommerce_". I had to change some of install-seo.php to get round that. Is it possible that this is happening again? If I restore application_top.php, the site works again, is there something I could have missed in there?

Cheers,

I reserve comment since I don't know how your code is calling the table prefix and your setup. Sorry...

Bobby

OK...you are using an MS2-CVS release which is just above MS1.  It is not the same code and the same steps cannot be used to install it.

Since MS2-CVS changed from day to day there is no way to tell you which snapshot you are using.  The only way to get this installed is look at each step and merge the changes with your existing code.  It can be done...I've installed it on several MS1 stores successfully.

I'm getting there. :-"

I've now got it as far as clicking on a product displays the product details, and correctly shows the URL under the pName setting:

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/catalog/prod...name-of-product

However, when I switch to the 'Rewrite' option (which is the one I REALLY want to use), the URL is correct in the form of:

http://www.mysite.com/catalog/catalog/name-of-product.html

But it produces a 404 page, rather than display the product details page.

Any ideas? :'(

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY TOM JUST GIVE ME AN FTP ACCOUNT AND LET ME INSTALL IT FOR YOU!

:)

Seriously, I've never seen anyone try so hard with as much tenacity. You deserve to have this installed on your site. Setup a TEMPORARY FTP account for me and send me the credentials VIA email (not PM). My private message box gets filled up about every 2 days so gets dumped often.

Bobby

OK...you are using an MS2-CVS release which is just above MS1.  It is not the same code and the same steps cannot be used to install it.

Since MS2-CVS changed from day to day there is no way to tell you which snapshot you are using.  The only way to get this installed is look at each step and merge the changes with your existing code.  It can be done...I've installed it on several MS1 stores successfully.

Bobby

Hi Bobby.

Do you think if could be possible intall your contribution in a 2.2 CVS store version????

Thank you very much.

Depends on how similar it is to the final MS2 release. Actually, it can be installed on any flavor but minor changes need to be merged. I've installed this on a few MS1 stores and also 1 tep2.1 store!

It's just a matter of knowing how to merge the code...

Bobby

Thin this is the right place, please help me....

Tried upgrade form 1.4 -> 2.0, but when I call the install-seo.php I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /homepages/14/d13488967/htdocs/includes/seo_cache.php on line 47

Thanks & Greets,

Panzz

Aaron, as a fellow Apple  :thumbsup: user, here is a suggestion. Do you have BBEdit Lite? If so, you can use it (or similar program) to show invisible characters, then use Zap Gremlins to get rid of any characters that don't belong in your file. Line breaks that don't show up in a normal text editor may be one such type of character. I can't tell you how many times that has saved me from bizarro errors on my oscommerce site! :D

Susan

Thanks Susan (and Chemo). After looking at the HTML output of the META DESCRIPTION, it does appear that some products will fall suspect to line breaks. This is actually a blessing in disguise.

I plan on going into the database and admin side to write a new field into the product addition/modification process so that users can input custom keywords or descriptions for each product. This way, if custom keywords/descriptions are present, then the page will use them. If the customer has not entered anything, then it will use a defualt set containing basic product info like name, model, manufacturer, price, etc.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Edited by royalfunk

Tried upgrade form 1.4 -> 2.0, but when I call the install-seo.php I got this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /homepages/14/d13488967/htdocs/includes/seo_cache.php on line 47

Thanks & Greets,

Panzz

Howdy Panzz,

Are you using the latest and greatest version? Ultimate SEO URLs v2.0b It has special directions in it for the upgrade. I haven't used them yet. Since I just noticed the newest version 2.0b. But, I will.

Paul

Edited by Fourbit

@paul

yes I do use Version 2.0b - upgrade instructions and always this error message:

please help?

greets,

panzz

Edited by panzz

Thanks & Greets,

Panzz

You failed to read the BIG, RED, BOLD text in step#2 that says:

NOTE: You MUST do this step before the code modifications! You have been warned!

Did you think I was kidding?

Go to application_top.php and comment out the code that was added. Don't delete it...just comment it out.

Next, execute the install scripts PER THE INSTRUCTIONS. Read the instructions.

After you have executed the install scripts go back to application_top.php and uncomment the code.

Bobby

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot for your work Chemo this contrib work nicely with loaded6 !!!!!Arghhhhhhh!!! :D

but I benefit from it to ask you a question, know you how I could make so that that my customers can place their order starting from their corporate network, because when that I connect myself has customer through a firewall on my shop, (for information: I use a share ssl) I am authenticated and that I pass from a https link to http link, I lose my personal parameters , if I click has new on a https link I retrieve my session, has you got an idea about this?

Thanks in advance for your help :blush:

Hi again, Bobby -

You said the following:

>> You should not have any entries in the root level .htaccess file other than a possible redirect.

>> To be honest, I would not use them in the root file and instead would use a PHP based

>> header redirect (with 301 header of course).

The only .htaccess file right now at all that's there, is in /Thoomp/catalog - I also tried placing an .htaccess file in root, but with no success.

The redirect that I probably mentioned is just an "index.html' page, which has a javascript redirect to:  /Thoomp/catalog/index.php  - Nothing fancy in the least bit.

PHP based header redirect?  Scratching my head here, and I'll have to look it up.  Do I need one to get this to work?

I checked httpd.conf of the server, and it seems that the rewrite engine module is set to "on."

Still confused and without out luck.  Thanks, Bobby!

- Seth <>

Hi Seth,

I'm running OSX and was having the same problem with configuring the .htaccess file.

The problem is in the httpd.conf file. Default setting for AllowOverride for .htaccess files is None. It needs to be set to All. Here's the fix.

Open httpd.conf file. Find the follow lines:

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo", 
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
   AllowOverride None

and replace with:

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo", 
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
   AllowOverride All

Make sure you restart the server for the changes to take effect. Good Luck.

Bobby,

I am not sure if this Spiders.txt is updated. I took a look through your contrib and there were no spiders.txt files So, I am going to post it here and hopefully you could update it for me as I am still churning out Session IDs on MSN, am not ranked at all on Google or Yahoo...and starting to get a bit antsy about ranking so I want to make sure I have everything correct hehe. TY

S

$Id: spiders.txt,v 1.2 2003/05/05 17:58:17 dgw_ Exp $

almaden.ibm.com

appie 1.1

architext

ask jeeves

asterias2.0

augurfind

baiduspider

bannana_bot

bdcindexer

crawler

crawler@fast

docomo

fast-webcrawler

fluffy the spider

frooglebot

geobot

googlebot

gulliver

henrythemiragorobot

ia_archiver

infoseek

kit_fireball

lachesis

lycos_spider

mantraagent

mercator

moget/1.0

muscatferret

nationaldirectory-webspider

naverrobot

ncsa beta

netresearchserver

ng/1.0

osis-project

polybot

pompos

scooter

seventwentyfour

sidewinder

sleek spider

slurp/si

[email protected]

steeler/1.3

szukacz

t-h-u-n-d-e-r-s-t-o-n-e

teoma

turnitinbot

ultraseek

vagabondo

voilabot

w3c_validator

zao/0

zyborg/1.0

Also should I be flushing my cache regularally? If so how does one go about doing that? Thanks!

S

Bobby,

I am not sure if this Spiders.txt is updated.  I took a look through your contrib and there were no spiders.txt files  So, I am going to post it here and hopefully you could update it for me as I am still churning out Session IDs on MSN, am not ranked at all on Google or Yahoo...and starting to get a bit antsy about ranking so I want to make sure I have everything correct hehe.  TY

S

$Id: spiders.txt,v 1.2 2003/05/05 17:58:17 dgw_ Exp $

almaden.ibm.com

appie 1.1

architext

ask jeeves

asterias2.0

augurfind

baiduspider

bannana_bot

bdcindexer

crawler

crawler@fast

docomo

fast-webcrawler

fluffy the spider

frooglebot

geobot

googlebot

gulliver

henrythemiragorobot

ia_archiver

infoseek

kit_fireball

lachesis

lycos_spider

mantraagent

mercator

moget/1.0

muscatferret

nationaldirectory-webspider

naverrobot

ncsa beta

netresearchserver

ng/1.0

osis-project

polybot

pompos

scooter

seventwentyfour

sidewinder

sleek spider

slurp/si

[email protected]

steeler/1.3

szukacz

t-h-u-n-d-e-r-s-t-o-n-e

teoma

turnitinbot

ultraseek

vagabondo

voilabot

w3c_validator

zao/0

zyborg/1.0

Also should I be flushing my cache regularally?  If so how does one go about doing that?  Thanks!

S

Here's the updated spiders list - it looks like yours is pretty old:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2455

Brian Neuman

Ok I added the small one, also check this out - still serving session IDS :(

/robots.txt

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 01:33:23 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 105

Referer: -

Agent: msnbot/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)

|

|

|

/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 01:33:24 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 30110

|

|

|

/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 01:33:34 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 34437

|

|

|

/account.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 302 Date: Feb 09 02:11:26 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 0

|

|

|

/links.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 02:13:32 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 24609

|

|

|

/checkout_shipping.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 302 Date: Feb 09 02:19:50 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 0

|

|

|

/index.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 02:57:03 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 30515

|

|

|

/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 02:58:58 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 25155

|

|

|

/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=a17d56eee79210ab67cd7367dd893358

Http Code: 200 Date: Feb 09 03:00:29 Http Version: HTTP/1.0 Size in Bytes: 24521

Ok 2nd try at this little issue with Ultimate SEO - I've added Extra Boxes Contrib and a ARTICLES/AUTHORS contrib - but they do not filter through to get wrapped. How exactly do I go about adding this to the contribs to ensure they will wrap? Thanks man.

S

Ok 2nd try at this little issue with Ultimate SEO - I've added Extra Boxes Contrib and a ARTICLES/AUTHORS contrib - but they do not filter through to get wrapped.  How exactly do I go about adding this to the contribs to ensure they will wrap?  Thanks man.

S

Just a quick reply.

I'm not sure which contribs you are talking about. So, I can't look for sure. But,generally speaking, to wrap any url you use the tep_href_link() function. You will probably need to find where the links in question are generated and then add that function to the code.

Paul

Edited by Fourbit

Ok 2nd try at this little issue with Ultimate SEO - I've added Extra Boxes Contrib and a ARTICLES/AUTHORS contrib - but they do not filter through to get wrapped.  How exactly do I go about adding this to the contribs to ensure they will wrap?  Thanks man.

S

Scott,

There is an issue with your setup somewhere...

Where is the problem? I don't know. Is it related to the contribution? No.

This contribution uses the stock osC method of suppressing the osCsid's for spiders/bots. If your site is still having issues with the osCsid that is because they are already indexed and will continue to indexed.

I suggest turning on the other checks such as IP, user agent, etc.

Bobby

Please ask your webhost provider to install the .htaccess entries properly for you. This is a server issue and not a contribution bug. If the general code that I provide in the contribution does not work on your setup there is no need cluttering the thread with support requests that we will not be able to solve.

Each server setup is different and it looks like the only one that will be able to solve this for you is your host.

Bobby, my webhost provider reckon it's something to do with the code, they suspect it may have to do with the part that says {QUERY_STRING}

They dont normally debug code but they did offer to if I was still having bother, I have had a couple of PM's from differet members with the same problem asking if I found a solution but I havent.

Any more ideas?

I only get the server error when trying to use checkout or view "my account" which co-incidently are the parts of the site which are secured by SSL?

My store is in my catalog folder, I have one htaccess file in my root which redirects the index.php in the root to the index.php in the catalog folder so the site loads from the catalog folder.

Hi and thank you for this contribution. I have a question about cache. I am a little confused about what I should do. In admin it reset cache is set to false. Can someone give me an explanation about the cache. Also is there a time this would be set to true?

Thanks

Elizabeth

Bobby, my webhost provider reckon it's something to do with the code, they  suspect it may have to do with the part that says {QUERY_STRING}

They dont normally debug code but they did offer to if I was still having bother, I have had a couple of PM's from differet members with the same problem asking if I found a solution but I havent.

Any more ideas?

I only get the server error when trying to use checkout or view "my account" which co-incidently are the parts of the site which are secured by SSL?

My store is in my catalog folder, I have one htaccess file in my root which redirects the index.php in the root to the index.php in the catalog folder so the site loads from the catalog folder.

Bobby, my webhost provider reckon it's something to do with the code, they  suspect it may have to do with the part that says {QUERY_STRING}

Any more ideas?

It isn't the {QUERY_STRING} but probably some other setup consideration. I have seen servers where you need to add:

Options +FollowSymLinks

above the RewriteEngine On directive whereas others don't. Also, the htaccess file should a blank line (line feed) at the end of the file.

Do you happen to have different folders for SSL / NONSSL?

Hi and thank you for this contribution. I have a question about cache. I am a little confused about what I should do. In admin it reset cache is set to false. Can someone give me an explanation about the cache. Also is there a time this would be set to true?

Thanks

Elizabeth

You shouldn't need to manually clear the cache as it auto-expires or is replaced with current data when you make a change to a product or category. There are only a few situations where it would need to be manually reset...and in that case you can just set that switch to true and update the setting.

Bobby