• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Configuring Main Page

mtangorre

I am just starting out with PHP (come from a ColdFusion background). Anyway, I got osCommcerce installed and working! I have it secured by renaming the admin directory and placing .htaccess on the renamed directory.

The first question I have is that when I go to http://unzapped.com/catalog/ the page that comes up has a bunch of generic text on it, where do I modify that page? How do others handle this? Do you put some generic information of your own on that page or do you put "specials" on there, etc.

I am brand new to PHP so if you can keep that ind mind when replying I would be most appreciative.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

I am just starting out with PHP (come from a ColdFusion background). Anyway, I got osCommcerce installed and working! I have it secured by renaming the admin directory and placing .htaccess on the renamed directory.

The first question I have is that when I go to http://unzapped.com/catalog/ the page that comes up has a bunch of generic text on it, where do I modify that page? How do others handle this? Do you put some generic information of your own on that page or do you put "specials" on there, etc.

I am brand new to PHP so if you can keep that ind mind when replying I would be most appreciative.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

I posted prematurely. I read a little more and dug around a little bit and have discovered the file manager :-) I am all set now... off I go to configure this puppy.

Mike

NO - you are not all set now! Do not use the osCommerce File Manager to edit files. It will generate parse errors. You do not want that.

The files you will need to edit (page content) are found at the lebvel of includes/languages/english/

Download the file you want to edit, make a backup copy, and then edit the file in a plain text editor like Notepad (not Wordpad or Word), then upload again. If it doesn't work, restore from the backup you took.

Remember that when adding text to your site that text has to be parsed in php, and what this means is that any apostrophie you use in text has to be 'escaped' by a preceeding backslash, as in:

Let's = wrong

Let\'s = right

Vger

Archived