• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UnAmericanising OsCommerce?

newclearbomb

I've installed OSCommerce yesterday and so far I'm very impressed with it's out the box functionality :)

I'm based in the UK and will predominantly be selling to UK and European customers. As such, is it possible to change the American titles and descriptions for UK ones?

for example:

Suburb = Area

Zip code = post code

that kind of thing.........

If not, it's not a huge problem, but I'd like to sort it if possible.

thanks,

James

Previously I do know it came default with Post Code and not Zip Code. Suburb can easily be changed to Area also.

Kenneth S

--------------

Customer "Are you a real programmer?"

Me "No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night"

I've installed OSCommerce

...etc...

A more knotty problem is the fact that the address fields are the wrong way round (post code (or is it city ?) appears in the wrong place). There is no simple option for this - you need to hack the code to jiggle the fields about. While you are at it, you might also want to jiggle the order of the error messages so that they match the new order of the fields.

I've been meaning to make a contribution of this because the fields must be wrong for a lot of people (certainly everyone in euroland), but lack of time, difficulty of separating the changes from loads of others I have made, bla bla bla, have stopped me doing it. Sorry.

Rich.

A more knotty problem is the fact that the address fields are the wrong way round (post code (or is it city ?) appears in the wrong place). There is no simple option for this - you need to hack the code to jiggle the fields about. While you are at it, you might also want to jiggle the order of the error messages so that they match the new order of the fields.

I've been meaning to make a contribution of this because the fields must be wrong for a lot of people (certainly everyone in euroland), but lack of time, difficulty of separating the changes from loads of others I have made,  bla bla bla, have stopped me doing it. Sorry.

Rich.

Just one word of warning - if you decide to make changes to the field names (as I did)! make sure you name them to match any payment processor - for example I renamed the suburb field(i think - it was a while ago) and then suddenly realised thet Epdq was being passed the wrong address data, which may have impacted the avs checks.

F5

The default address formats are also wrong for many countries (US included). Unfortunately there is no admin interface for these. I've done some myself, but it's a big job.

Archived