• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tools for OSC design - dreamweaver mx ?

webless

Hi,

I have the latest OSC template and would like to ask which is the best way to design the page text.

I have Dreamweaver MX but have been unable to get the site to display properly ....

If DW MX is advised could someone guide me on the key steps to get this up and running - i have local PHP MYSQL running and thought i should be able to code/design within DW without to much problem ???

Regards

:'(

Hi,

I  have the latest OSC template and would like to ask which is the best way to design the page text.

I have Dreamweaver MX but have been unable to get the site to display properly ....

If DW MX is advised could someone guide me on the key steps to get this up and running - i have local PHP MYSQL running and thought i should be able to code/design within DW without to much problem ???

Regards

:'(

You are not going to be able to edit osC in wysiwyg mode. If you want to make changes you are going to need to actually make changes to the code itself.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

I use Dreamweaver development and deployment. ozcsys is right about wysiwyg php & oscommerce don't work that way.

Anyways to use Dreamweaver with your oxCommerce, you need to go to Site|Manage Sites... in the menu and follow the instructions. If you get anyproblems, also try searching the internet for Managing Sites for Dreamweaver.

(BTW, CHMOD add-on is available in Dreamweaver Exchange) :thumbsup:

I use nothing but Dreamweaver, Topstyle Pro and Photoshop for all my osC stuff. Some Flash too if required....

You CAN edit some parts of osC in "WYSIWYG" mode while others will require an understaning of the code structure and use of the "code" view. Due to some of the retarded table structure in some pages you will find code view very helpful.

Notepad works wonders too....

I use nothing but Dreamweaver, Topstyle Pro and Photoshop for all my osC stuff. Some Flash too if required....

You CAN edit some parts of osC in "WYSIWYG" mode while others will require an understaning of the code structure and use of the "code" view. Due to some of the retarded table structure in some pages you will find code view very helpful.

Notepad works wonders too....

Same here. The all "powerful" notepad is still one of my favourite.

I also use Zend Studio to debug php codes (PHP is powered by Zend).

One day osCommerce development will be as easy as drag & drop, well give it a decade or two. LOL :P

A great local webserver that takes no config really is IBserver. It gives you an Apache Webserver with PHP/MySQL and myPHPAdmin for PHP/MySQL

Apache 1.3.26

MySQL 3.23.52

PHP 4.2.3

phpMyAdmin 2.3.0

Its available at http://ibsoftware.d2digitalmedia.com/ibserver/

Its what I use to test all my Oscommerce on my Windows XP laptop. The only change I would make to it is to go into the .ini file for the php and change register_globals=on to off. This is the most secure way and there is a contribution to fix the oscommerce code and is the way most live servers are set.

Any questions pm or email me.

Joshua Staley

• 2 months later...
A great local webserver that takes no config really is IBserver. It gives you an Apache Webserver with PHP/MySQL and myPHPAdmin for PHP/MySQL

Apache 1.3.26

MySQL 3.23.52

PHP 4.2.3

phpMyAdmin 2.3.0

Its available at http://ibsoftware.d2digitalmedia.com/ibserver/

Its what I use to test all my Oscommerce on my Windows XP laptop. The only change I would make to it is to go into the .ini file for the php and change register_globals=on to off. This is the most secure way and there is a contribution to fix the oscommerce code and is the way most live servers are set.

Any questions pm or email me.

Joshua Staley

I have just got all the contributions and layout sorted for my new website using ibserver. Can someone please tell me how I can upload my site to a live server? Since I had set everything to my local computer during the initial installation, I guess I cannot just upload the whole osC folder to the server, right?

Do I need to upload my osC folder and then go through the installation again on the live server?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ftp to the location given by your host, then modify your configure.php files to reflect the changes coorelating to your site paths.

Archived