• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

problem with osc code. create account, state prob.

Hi,

when a customer creates an account and for say is from iowa. fills information but forgets to put password, in next page he is told to correct info. at that time the state gets changed to default one which is alabama. and most of the cust dont check.

i m getting orders like that on daily basis and its very annoying when shipping. all correct info. city zip , but wrong state.

plz guide me to solution...

try that in ur stores.

Mine doesn't have a drop-down for the state field, neither does the demo. I don't see it as an option in the admin.

I don't see any problem turning it off . . .

-jared

you sure! i never downloaded any contribution with states.... how do i fix the issue, any suggestions?

Are you getting the dropdown on the initial signup page or the second time around? Post a url so we can take a look.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

• 1 year later...
Hi,

when a customer creates an account and for say is from iowa. fills information but forgets to put password, in next page he is told to correct info. at that time the state gets changed to default one which is alabama. and most of the cust dont check.

i m getting orders like that on daily basis and its very annoying when shipping. all correct info. city zip , but wrong state.

try that in ur stores.

I hated that! :angry: Every 15 or 20 orders, the state would be Alabama (the default state) and I'd have to go to the post office website and find the real state from the zip code. Well, I lived with it for a year and a half and just now found the solution and it's sooooo simple! :D

In the admin panel, go to Locations/Taxes > Zones and click the "new zone" button on the bottom of the zone list. Insert "----------" as the Zones Name and "--" as the Zones Code (without the quotation marks). Choose "United States" as the country in the dropdown list and then click "insert." That's it! B)

Now, whenever anyone enters an incorrectly spelled state name or fails to input their password, he/she will get a warning message at the top of the page referring them to the state field and it will have "------------" (without the quotation marks) in the state field for them to change!

If you'd like to see how it works, go to https://therawfoodsite.com/catalog/.

Don't use the above!

I'm embarrassed to say that although the above appears to work when I tested it, it somehow confuses the purchasers and sharply reduces sales!! :blush:

I'm not sure why, but both times I've tried it I've gotten rejected credit card sales and the orders slow W A Y down.

If I could delete the above post, I would.

Sorry

• 4 months later...

here's an easy workaround for the "customer chooses Alabama by accident when creating an account" problem.

Simply create new zone, without a name. That will get listed first, before the other states, and most folks will notice to change to the valid state.

It's worked for me in the past.

-jared

• 3 years later...

Hi,

try that in ur stores.

I only recently noticed the same problem. Other contributions and add-ons seemed like too much work for such a simple problem. I just needed to change the default state to " Please Select a State". I ended up modifying the zones table using PhpMyAdmin and posted the instructions and modified zones table as an add-on. Find it here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7155

Archived