• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fixing the Product Search

bmac

Hey all--

When I search for "caps" on my osc store, I get "no products found." But, I have tons of caps on the website. However, there are all called "Black Cap" or "Red Cap", etc. If I search for just "cap" (no plural "s") then everything shows up fine. Is there a way to remedy this so when people search for "caps" the "cap" items all show up?

This would be a _huge_ help, thank you all very much (again, and again, and again...).

Brian

Hey all--

When I search for "caps" on my osc store, I get "no products found." But, I have tons of caps on the website. However, there are all called "Black Cap" or "Red Cap", etc. If I search for just "cap" (no plural "s") then everything shows up fine. Is there a way to remedy this so when people search for "caps" the "cap" items all show up?

This would be a _huge_ help, thank you all very much (again, and again, and again...).

Brian

did you set your default search condition in admin/configuration to and ?

Treasurer MFC

The default search operator is set to "and"...

Is there a way to change the way the "search" works so that "caps" would list results for "cap"?

thanks for your help,

brian

did you set your default search condition in admin/configuration to and ?

hhhmmm...why don't we create a search engine spider and have it crawl the site? We could customize it so it presents the results in order of relevancy and can tweak other settings like weight for keyword in title or on page density...

What do you think? This may take some time to code but should be a great alternative to the stock osC search function...

Bobby

hhhmmm...why don't we create a search engine spider and have it crawl the site?  We could customize it so it presents the results in order of relevancy and can tweak other settings like weight for keyword in title or on page density...

What do you think?  This may take some time to code but should be a great alternative to the stock osC search function...

Bobby

maybe google will grant you a license and start a franchise search mod

Treasurer MFC

Hey all--

Brian

ok what I did was install the header tags controller which lets you add keywords for the search engines. I then changed the search function to not only look into the product name and description but also in the header keyword tag fields. Those fields you control.

if you do the same and ad Cap to the header tag keywords, the search will find it.

Treasurer MFC

Archived