• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New user... lots of questions...

neod

Hi there,

I'm new to OSCommerce. I find OSCommerce to be a very very comprehensive script (may be even too much). The contributions are great.

I have a few questions:

1. Since I'm not used to setting up eCommerce sites, I barely have any idea how SSL works. From what I know my host will put a seperate folder in my root where I can put stuff that can be loaded thru SSL. Is that correct? If yes where would I install OSC? Or, if I get my own SSL cert, would my entire catalog load on a secure server (i.e. paypal.com), or just the checkout process?

2. Are there any more free templates?

3. If I get Authorize.Net, will the user remain on my server the whole time and I will be able to customize the whole thing or would it still be like a PayPal or 2Checkout.com checkout?

And lastly, it would be nice if Invision's search results are set to display only the topics, not entire posts within topics (like most other boards). The current setup is kinda confusing.

More questions to come... ;)

If your hosting company uses a seperate folder for ssl, then don't bother buying your own cert and using it with them. It'll make configuration more difficult, and you'll have to duplicate all of your website in the ssl folder - waste of time - and you'll have to keep the two in sync.

Authorise.net - no the user will go to their site to complete the transaction (I think - not using them myself)

If you get your own ssl then that will cover the part sof your site that needs to be in ssl e.g. Create Account, My Account, Login, Checkout etc.

Vger

Hi there,

I'm new to OSCommerce. I find OSCommerce to be a very very comprehensive script (may be even too much). The contributions are great.

I have a few questions:

1. Since I'm not used to setting up eCommerce sites, I barely have any idea how SSL works. From what I know my host will put a seperate folder in my root where I can put stuff that can be loaded thru SSL. Is that correct? If yes where would I install OSC? Or, if I get my own SSL cert, would my entire catalog load on a secure server (i.e. paypal.com), or just the checkout process?

2. Are there any more free templates?

3. If I get Authorize.Net, will the user remain on my server the whole time and I will be able to customize the whole thing or would it still be like a PayPal or 2Checkout.com checkout?

And lastly, it would be nice if Invision's search results are set to display only the topics, not entire posts within topics (like most other boards). The current setup is kinda confusing.

More questions to come... ;)

Ok, lets say I buy my own cert or the my host has a shared installed which I can access via different url (ie, on PowWeb, I can access all the same content via https://secure.powweb.com/mydomain, if my site is www.mydomain.com). So how do I configure OSCom to use the sections that you said via SSL? I currently have a test copy installed and I don't see anywhere options for SSL...

Archived