• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Running OSC on my pc

rmr

Hello.

Topic says it all but here's a more detailed description of what I want to do. I want to do all the editing/programming/testing/viewing/etc right on my pc instead of downloading the php file, editing it on my pc, uploading it back to the server, etc. I want to do all the work and testing right on my pc and when everything is 100% ok, I will then upload all the files to the server. The question is what do I need to do this (software, etc) and where can I find help on how to do it?

Thanks.

Well, assuming you're using a windows pc, you'll need to be sure Internet Information Services is installed. This ships with xp pro and 2000 but is not installed by default (not on 2000 anyway!) It can be run on 98 but i don't know about xp home or me.....

Basically check you're windows cd if you've not installed it already...

Then, download mysql (free) from www.mysql.something and follow the instructions to install.

download the windows php interpreter from www.php.something and install as instructed. (HINT read the instructions on where to locate the php.ini file and configure it. It'l save you a lot of head scratching)

download oscommerce and install as per instructions.....

(Hint: when you first try to use the default install, you will probably get errors regarding permissions. You need to set up your web folders with permissions for the internet guest user account... Again, read the instructions)

Finally, the configure.php file tells your computer where everything is so follow those instructions.

That all sounds daunting but it's not too bad really. One step at a time will get you there. If it's your first time doing this sort of thing I'd allow a good 6 hours to get it right but just think of the confidence you'll gain!!!

Best of luck

Brian

I use IIS but as mibble quite rightly says, you may want to use apache as your website will most likely be running on apache. Not tried it myself but if you don't have your windows cd's it is a good (perhaps better) alternative.

Don't be dismayed by all the options, choose one and go with it and you'll get there!!

Simmy, thank you for the detailed instructions.

Mibble, thank you for the recommendation.

I have confirmed that my website is hosted on an Apache server so that means no need for IIS right? If yes, from Simmy's instructions, replace installation of IIS with Apache then install the rest?

Thanks.

You can use either. If I didn't have IIS already I'd probably have tried apache.

Mibble knows his stuff (just look at how many posts he's made!!!) so if you go with apache I'm sure you'll be ok!

B

I recommend you download an all-in-one web server package for your PC (Apache server) called XAMPP. It comes complete with all you need and the install is the easiest I have come across.

Because it uses php5 then when you have installed osCommerce on your pc you will need to make one change in one file only - to get the osCommerce 'admin' section working.

On line 31 of admin/includes/classes/upload.php change $this to //$this

Vger

Simmy: I see. Thank you very much.

Vger: Thanks alot for XAMPP. I think I will try that first just because it's easy to install and uninstall.

More power to you guys!

Hey, I'm trying to do the same thing rmr. noob to all this php and server stuff but I got the apache server installed, I got php installed, I got mysql installed. I then dl'd osc and tried to run the installer and got this little error message that said

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

So I went to php.ini to enable register_globals and tried again and got the same error.:sweating: I figured I'd restart the computer so it would probably re-read php.ini maybe. That didn't work either. Anyone of you guys have a possible solution for me?

It could be because just a couple days ago I slammed my head on my garage floor on accident so I'm not really thinking straight yet. Who knows.

Forgive me if I'm insulting you're intelligence but by enabling register globals, you do definately have the line:

[/code]register_globals = On

and not

'register_globals = On

with a comment before it?

B

Archived