• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

membership levels: idea + question

Hi All,

First off, let me say that I am new to osC and really appreciate the product and especially all the contributions to the project, so a big thank you to all involved! :D

Secondly, excuse the long post, but I want to be as clear as possible. Scroll down to the 'Questions' heading if you want to cut to the chase.

-- Background --

I'm setting up a store for an organization that, besides selling products, offers several membership levels. I am planning on offering these membership levels as items in the store. When people purchase one of these membership levels, they will receive:

1. discounts on certain products (different for each membership level)

2. access to different 'members' areas of the site (rest of the site, not the store... the rest of the site is built using PHP and a content manager of my own design)

Here's how I plan on doing this:

1. Discounts

I am planning to use Total B2B 1.1 (or B2BSuite, does anyone recommend one over the other? I was leaning toward Total B2B simply because B2BSuite seemed like overkill for my needs) for handling discounts.

2. Access to Members Areas

Access to members areas will be based off the discount classes created by Total B2B, since discount class = membership level. If someone is trying to access one of the members areas, my content manager will query the customers tables in osC to ensure they are part of the appropriate discount/member group.

-- Problem --

The big issue I have now is streamlining the process from buying a membership to gaining the privileges of membership. Basically, the results should be instant - as soon as someone pays for membership they should gain the access and discounts.

However, right now the customer has to be manually added to the discount class by the admin, which causes a delay in 'activation' of the membership.

In looking for solutions, I found this post on the forum:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121519&hl=

Try this:

1. Modify the account creation process so it eliminates all the fat (gender, etc.)

2. Create a customer script to create the account on the pay site (for entry)

3. Include the custom code file in your after_process() function of the chosen payment gateway.

4. Enjoy the automation smile.gif

but it was too general to be helpful.

I also looked at the 'Membership / Subscription Only' contribution (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1658) but it doesn't really solves my needs.

-- Questions --

Basically, how do I automatically update a customer's discount class if they purchase one of the membership levels? I know it's just a change to a cell in the customer info table, but how do I put that change into the purchase process, and only if the item bought is one of the membership levels? It seems like after_process() is the place to do this, but I'm not familiar enough with osC to know what to do.

Thank for reading this far and for any and all help!!!

Arijit

• 2 weeks later...

if you look in product_info you will find

tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " set products_viewed = products_viewed+1 where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

ch?nge that to your need`s after redirect!

greetz john

Archived