• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Clueless

Cyanne

New years resolution was to upgrade shopping at my website. Currently PAYPAL button type shopping cart... just put the item info in the blank and paste the HTML next to the picture. Now I have this web host with osCommerce and MyPHP and I have never worked with a database and don't know where to start. Is there a tutorial somewhere with STEP ONE OR SOMETHING?

Have you looked at the Knowledge Base, the link is above just under the osCommerce Logo.

Bob G.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Do you know what you need to learn? Do you already know html and php? You don't need to be an expert on those, but some basic knowledge will get you far. Further, are you looking for a database tutorial or an osCommerce tutorial? Or both?

Anyway, doesn't hurt (I hope) to put up links to some official sites:

MySQL - (database)

PHP.net

And in case you are just starting to learn about web developing; W3schools is always a good place to begin.

If you just need to learn about osCommerce, then this forum and as already mentioned, the knowledge base are good starting places. Search the forum, all the questions you're likely to ask have been asked before. If you can't find it, you ask again. :)

Thanks. :thumbsup: the problem is that I don't know what I don't know. That is what I find so intimidating. Yes, tutorial links will help give foundation that I can understand what I am looking at and also understand what is being discussed.

I have some HTML knowledge. I use FRONTPAGE which is WYSIWYG - I miss the 'what's this' option. I learned FP using "Idiot's Guide"and other self-taught through tutorials.

It seems I am now going back to school for the new year. :blink: why did I say I enjoy my job? Ah yes, the challenge -- now I remember.

Do you know what you need to learn? Do you already know html and php? You don't need to be an expert on those, but some basic knowledge will get you far. Further, are you looking for a database tutorial or an osCommerce tutorial? Or both?

Anyway, doesn't hurt (I hope) to put up links to some official sites:

MySQL - (database)

PHP.net

And in case you are just starting to learn about web developing; W3schools is always a good place to begin.

If you just need to learn about osCommerce, then this forum and as already mentioned, the knowledge base are good starting places. Search the forum, all the questions you're likely to ask have been asked before. If you can't find it, you ask again. :)

Yes, it's difficult in the beginning to know what to study and what to study first.

When it comes to osCommerce and PHP, you need at least to know about the command define() as well as some basic PHP syntax.

I would recommend that you go through these tutorials at w3schools.com

SQL,

PHP and

HTML

You don't need to know much about SQL, but some knowledge is good.

I have put together my own site with resources for web development, feel free to visit dw.no/net/ :)

Remember that if you invest some time now to learn, you'll save yourself some time later when problems occur. Problems will occur, in one way or another, and when they do, it's good to know what to do with them.

Btw, I personally find text editors to be the best editors. Frontpage etc. tend to create unneccesary code. Besides, you'll probably benefit more from learning if you use text editors. Then you'll understand more what actually happens, not in bits and bytes, but in the coding, rather than learning what button to push to somehow get the desired code. You'll be able to do much more, and to do it faster and better.

If going for a text editor, however, I will strongly suggest one that highlights code. If you're in Linux world, you'll most likely already know about this. Kate works great. (Wow, rhymes.)

If you're in Windows world, I don't know of such an editor, I'm afraid. I know they exist, but not which to choose.

Archived