• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Error: Cache directory does not exist.

Andrew J

I set a win32 based webserver test env. locally up.

Then I did a clean fresh install.

Cos I had to build my shop from the scratch again, it has to much errors.

Then I got this cache thingy under Tools/Cache Control :

Error: Cache directory does not exist. Please set this Configuration->Cache.

Cache Control

Cache Blocks

Cache Directory: /tmp/

But in Configuration/Cache i have this values:

Use Cache: false

Cache Directory: /tmp/

So it should be work, not?

Where should I put the tmp dir?

Currently it is in the root folder outside of the /catalog dir.

you put the tmp where you want to put it and then reference it in three spots in admin, logging, sessions and cache

All three options had to have the same directory setting? pe: /tmp

logging:

/tmp/page_parse_time.log

sessions:

/tmp

and cache was done before but it didnt work yet.

/tmp/

I still got the errormessage at Tools/Cache as I told before.

How do I referencing to the /tmp dir outside of the /catalog folder?

I think with a simple /tmp will sufficent. I placed the /tmp dir from the /catalog folder for a security reason. A /temp will be better cos Im on a shared server.

Maybe there is an unnecessary slash "/" before the tmp or at the end?

All three options had to have the same directory setting? pe: /tmp

logging:

/tmp/page_parse_time.log

sessions:

/tmp

and cache was done before but it didnt work yet.

/tmp/

I still got the errormessage at Tools/Cache as I told before.

How do I referencing to the /tmp dir outside of the /catalog folder?

I think with a simple /tmp will sufficent. I placed the /tmp dir from the /catalog folder for a security reason. A /temp will be better cos Im on a shared server.

Maybe there is an unnecessary slash "/" before the tmp or at the end?

I had the same problem and tried any with/without slash until I just put in the absolute path and then it worked.

• 9 months later...
Like: c:/program files/.../htdocs/tmp

That should be right yes-- I just wrote this up based on setting this up on a Linux server:

If I give too much info here bear with me-- I saw several unanswered threads when I came looking for an answer to the same problem, discovered the resolution and I'm going to cut and paste this resolution into each of these threads so if I overexplain forgive me-- take what you need and go ;)

In the OSC admin tool under 'Configuration' select 'Cache'. Set 'Use Cache' to true and set the 'Cache Directory' to THE FULL PATH to your cache directory. That means the full path from the root of the file system on your server. You can pull this most of this from your /catalogs/includes/configure.php file-- the 'DIR_FS_CATALOG' has the path you need, just add 'cache/' to the end. So in the example below:

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/myhostingacct/public_html/catalog/');

Add 'cache/' to the end making it '/home/myhostingacct/public_html/catalog/cache/' (without the singles quotes)

Plug this into the 'Cache Directory' entry and save it. Make sure there there are CHMOD 777 (full read/write access for all) permissions to the cache folder and you should be golden.

TESTING

------------

From the Admin tool go to 'Tools' and select 'Cache Control'. That pesky pink error message at the top should be gone now. If not, something is wrong. Check the path and check the permissions, that's all that could be wrong.

Notice that the file 'date created' for the three cache files is 'File does not exist'. Now browse your site, click a couple of the categories, and select a manufacturer from the box. Then refresh the 'Cache Control' page. You should see that they are updated now. If so-- it's working... have a nice day!

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'

Archived