• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Enlarge image problem

Pink

I am really baffled. Some of my enlarged images stopped appearing when I clicked "Click to enlarge" on the small images.

I do not understand why some large images still pop up, while some do not. They were all working fine two days ago.

I should add that this problem occurred after I did a modification on the /catalog/index.php file to get rid of "Let's See What We Have Here" for subcategories and replace them with my subcategory names. (Contributions: Page Heading Title)

However, it seems a long shot that this modification caused my problem, as when I replaced the modified /catalog/index.php file with the old /catalog/index/php.file, the problem continued.

Help would really be appreciated.

Does this happen on every computer? could you forward me the URL so I can test it?

I found that Norton Personal Firewall 2004 will block some image pop-ups on my site but not others. It has to do with the "ad-blocking" function in NPF. I am not sure if you are using this product or one similar to it, but I have found it created problems.

Let me check it out and I will get back to you.

Thanks Wes, for your response.

I do use Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and turning the "Security" setting off, allowed my images to start popping up again.

I am building a site on a local machine, and assume (at least hope) this is something that will not occur to visitors using the Norton Firewall once I transfer the site to my ISP.

Thanks Wes, for your response.

I do use Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and turning the "Security" setting off, allowed my images to start popping up again.

I am building a site on a local machine, and assume (at least hope) this is something that will not occur to visitors using the Norton Firewall once I transfer the site to my ISP.

NPF will still block some of the images when it is hosted by the ISP.

I have written to Symantec and told them about this issue. One thing that is strange is how it blocks some pictures, but not others. I could live with the fact that it blocked all or none, but the hit-or-miss is super strange. It makes me wonder what other traffic can slip through.

• 1 month later...

Ok I have done some more research and have modified the files, its working now..

It turns out that Norton blocks images that are of a certain size used in most Ad Popups. The image was 250 x 250 pixels, and it didn't show up, when we changed it to a larger size... 270 x 270 it was not blocked by Norton and it showed up...

We have decided to use 360 x 360 as this is a nice size and shows more detail.. So hopefully we will not see this issue any more..

Hope this post helps..

:)

• 4 weeks later...

That would make sense.

Unfortunately on my site, it doesn't matter what size the image is, it still blocks it... unless it's on the secure part of the site after logging in. But then, go to a non-secure page and it loses it again.

Any response from Symantec? I always thought that ad blockers would act when an ad tried to open a new window, not suppress an image in a site. If they want to do the latter, shouldn't they at least let us decide?

I didn't contact Symantec but it looks like further up the thread someone did. I however just found this blurb from Norton in the online help.. Maybe they have a better explanation on their website...

Block by dimensions

Most online advertisers use one or more standard sizes for their ads. Ad Blocking includes the ability to block images and other HTML elements that have the same dimensions as these common ad sizes.

Not much help I know... but I would check out the Symantec site.

And I do agree they should let us decide.

Sounds like your issue might be a little different I have had no issue viewing images that are on the site, but only when enlarging them, and that was because of Norton...

If you are having issues just viewing your images on the site itself, it sounds like a different issue.. I'm fairly new to osCommerce, but I know there is wealth of info on this forum... I would do some more searches to find your specific issue in the forum..

Good luck

Archived