• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

tar: directory checksum error

jfrnet

I downloaded oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.tar unix version from both the sourceforge and the european mirror via a windows XP/IE web download and renamed it to oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.gz assuming the name was incorrect.

I then ftp'd it over to my Solaris 8 Intel system in binary mode and as root in ksh:

# gunzip oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.gz

#

that seemed fine, then:

# tar xvf oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar

x (lots of untarring)

x ...

x ...

#

Any ideas what's wrong here? Something unusual to untar this file or is it a bad file and if so where can I get a good copy of this file?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you can't resolve the tar problem, then unzip the windows .zip distribution on your XP system (keeping a copy locally for backup) and then ftp all the files to the Solaris box. I'd recommend editing on your Solaris (vi) and save copies of files on the Solaris as well. The tar (unix) and zip (windows) distributions are identical source code.

HTH

Tom

Ah thanks, actually I can unzip on the Solaris machine too, which I did and that seemed to work fine, at least the code is there in all its directories etc...

If you can't resolve the tar problem, then unzip the windows .zip distribution on your XP system (keeping a copy locally for backup) and then ftp all the files to the Solaris box. I'd recommend editing on your Solaris (vi) and save copies of files on the Solaris as well. The tar (unix) and zip (windows) distributions are identical source code.

HTH

Tom

Don't just rename the file to .gz as it is not a gzipped tarball.

Simply upload the file and tar -xvf oscommerce*.tar and all will be well.

This is like saying: I renamed the tarball to oscommerce.jpg but it won't display an image in the browser. They are two completely different file formats.

Bobby

I tried that first and:

# tar -xvf oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.tar

If it is not a gzipped tarball, it sure acted like one when renamed to oscommerce-2.2ms2.tar.gz

My best guess at this point is the file is either named incorrectly and corrupt at both download sites or it is named incorrectly and it needs GNU tar not Solaris tar.

The fact is when renamed it gunzip'd and it untar'd probably completely but with a directory checksum error.

Don't just rename the file to .gz as it is not a gzipped tarball.

Simply upload the file and tar -xvf oscommerce*.tar and all will be well.

This is like saying: I renamed the tarball to oscommerce.jpg but it won't display an image in the browser.? They are two completely different file formats.

Bobby

There is a problem with the checksum on Solaris. If you untar the .tar file but choose to ignore the checksum (i option to tar) all appears fine.

But it would be nice if the checksum was valid.

Archived