• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SQL: exceeded the 'max_questions'

weidi

Hello all.

:'( I just had the following error on my site:

My store

1226 - User 'SQL database_name' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 50000)

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

max_question value = how many SQL queries / hour

I called my Host provider iPowerWeb and they just increased the value to 80000.

My site is back online and I'm happy again. :rolleyes:

I tought I share this information with you in case this happens on your site.

This is my first post to the forum. I hope I did everything correct.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Something to consider is that the stock osC installations have about 100 queries per page. If you have a few contributions installed then it could easily rise to 15-200 per page (or more). This means that you would effectively be able to serve 250-500 pages per hour. If you are at that level of commerce I would recommend you move to a more robust host or dedicated server solution.

If that is a problem or not a possiblity then definitly optimize the queries. Some have been able to get the per query count to less than 10 per page. This means their per hour page serve limit would be around 2500-5000 pages. Notice that is a factor of 10.

Bobby

Bobby,

thank you very much for this valuable information. This helps me a lot to understand whats going on in oscommerce.

I installed quiet a fiew contribution and I love it to tweak oscommerce for my needs.

My programming skills are poor put I'm eager to learn and oscommerce and the oscommerce community is great for that. Thank you!

Is there a easy way to optimize the queries?

Jurg

Is there a easy way to optimize the queries?

Jurg

It just takes time and practice. I would suggest setting up a staging server in another folder or subdomain. Use that as your sandbox and make any changes or modifications you want. If you break something just upload new source files since it is not in production. This way you can learn and not worry about breaking the main store.

Bobby

I run a exact copy of my store local on my mac and test everyting there first before i make the changes on the live store.

In the meantime i guess I figured out what caused the problem with the SQL server.

I made a modification to the whos online file so that I do not see the search engines in this list. Therefore I uploaded a sql file with about 12000 ip adresses to exlude. There are may be easier ways to do that.

But any way now I have a much better picture of what happens when I install a new contribution and will carefully check the sql queries involved.

Jurg

Sorry for my poor english "but" I'm a native Swiss Guy living in Springfield, Kentucky.

That would definitely put a crimp on the max_question...

Well, I'm in Richmond (just south of Lexington) and we're just down the road from each other. If you need further help don't hesitate to ask. After all we're practically neighbors :)

Bobby

• 5 months later...

1226 - User 'ep001' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 72000)

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

I received the same error message and contacted the hosting company, they told me to create additional user and set it to rotate in the config of my script if the script allow it... I already got 3 user for my database, but really no idea how to set them to rotate in the config.... and don't know if the script allow it or not.... Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
1226 - User 'ep001' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 72000)

[TEP STOP]

I received the same error message and contacted the hosting company, they told me to create additional user and set it to rotate in the config of my script if the script allow it... I already got 3 user for my database, but really no idea how to set them to rotate in the config.... and don't know if the script allow it or not.... Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.

MAY I ASK WHO THE HOSTING COMPANY WAS? I AM HAVING EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

• 2 months later...

I m having the same problem, when i see this i can inmediately go, erase the user and re created, but i d like to have a more PERMANENT solutioin

the rotating users is what i think it would work, but how to put it to practise?

Thanks

j.

Archived