• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Develope on windows upload 2 linux?

Hi there, I've tried installing osc on a shared win server, got past the register_globals with the work around but couldnt chmod configure.php

at this point I cancelled the host and have created a new linux account believeing this would be easier?

I've downloaded the linux vrs of osc on to a windows machine where I'm doing my development (thought this would be like editing txt files and uploading them) but win zip wont play with the .tar extention.

Any advice, can I untar osc on a windows machine, edit it and then upload it to a linux server?

Should I switch back to a windows server and try and overcome the chmod problems and any others that come my way.

Greatful for your guidence

I'd get the .zip version, unzip it on your windows PC and keep copies of the source locally for backup, then ftp the files to the Linux box. Linux is a great server environment and quite secure. Mmmmmm, now that I think about it IIS and all it's patches for Bill Gates environment.....I'll take a linux/apache environment anyday. This of course leads to many "water cooler" discussions that I'm sure Tony has had with a few unix guys. (No offense intended here Tony.. :-)

HTH

Tom

I'd get the .zip version, unzip it on your windows PC and keep copies of the source locally for backup, then ftp the files to the Linux box. Linux is a great server environment and quite secure. Mmmmmm, now that I think about it IIS and all it's patches for Bill Gates environment.....I'll take a linux/apache environment anyday. This of course leads to many "water cooler" discussions that I'm sure Tony has had with a few unix guys. (No offense intended here Tony.. :-)

HTH

Tom

That would be how many critical patches so far on IIS6? How about none. Ever.

All the defacement statistics show you are many many times more likely to be hit on Linux than on Win2k3. This is also why it is the most widely exploited server OS.

And as to OS patches - there are far more required to keep secure a Linux install than Windows 2003.

This is why extremely security conscious organisations like the US and UK military rejeted Linux in favour of Windows for their battlefield and warship comand and control systems, why Linux is rated a full two levels lower than Windows for security by the NSA, and why the NSA is having to develop a special secure version of Linux to meet it's Linux needs because the public ones are so insecure.

the topic is developing on windows and running on *nix, as to how to untar the files not much more than that. guess it is hard to see the actual topic headings at times . . . yes, linux has problems but unix not as many

All the defacement statistics show you are many many times more likely to be hit on Linux than on Win2k3. This is also why it is the most widely exploited server OS.

And as to OS patches - there are far more required to keep secure a Linux install than Windows 2003.

This is why extremely security conscious organisations like the US and UK military rejeted Linux in favour of Windows for their battlefield and warship comand and control systems, why Linux is rated a full two levels lower than Windows for security by the NSA, and why the NSA is having to develop a special secure version of Linux to meet it's Linux needs because the public ones are so insecure.

Big grin...

Should I now say 'much more attacks because there's so many more Linux machines out there than windows servers?'...

*SCNR*

Actually, I don't take part in the war. I simply use and work on both. Like with Macs and PCs. TOGETHER, not against each other... :-)

My half-cent for New Year's Night...

M.

I don't want to set the world on fire—I just want to start a flame in your heart.

osCommerce Contributions:

Class cc_show() v1.0 – Show Credit Cards, Gateways

More Product Weight v1.0

See http://www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/021104.php for some facts on the subject.

"The study also reveals that Linux has become the most breached 24/7 online computing environment in terms of manual hacker attacks overall and accounts for 65.64% of all breaches recorded, with 154,846 successfully compromised Linux 24/7 online computers of all flavours."

Or go look at any site that tracks defacement statistics.

Thanks every one,

managed to get osc installed successfully on linux (editing files on windows in a txt editor),

now the real work begins.

Archived