• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CSS editor via admin panel.

V0ltage

After much searching of the forums, I was unable to see if anyone else had attacked this as a project yet. What I'm looking for is a way to allow a lay webmaster the ability to modify the CSS for their site through the admin panel. What I've got in mind is a screen that comes up that shows all of the styles in the catalog/stylesheet.css file. Each of these styles could be placed into categories that are signified by css comments that describe the html section of the site that the following styles would modify. The category system would take a little bit of conceptual design, given how abstracted things are, so for now I'll consider that phase 2 (or 3, depending on how this all works. hehe) So, getting past the category idea, each of the styles would show in a clickable format that would take them to an editing page. This "Edit Mode" page would show the current key => value pairs associated with that style, and allow them to apply user-defined options to that style via pull-down boxes for key => value pairs, or for the more savvy, a manual entry box. At first I'm thinking this will be a very rudimentary process of reading the file in, changing / adding the values, then writing the file back to catalog/stylesheet.css. In the future, the style values could be plugged into a db table that could have descriptions associated for quickhelp on a certain css value. We'll see how it goes as far as demand for features. Input on this guys?

Let me know if there is something like this already out there, but if not, then I think something like this built into oscommerce would rock for those not too savvy about working with CSS. I'd be willing to do the coding for this, or offer and accept input & help regarding this contribution. Thanks!

Install Firefox and get the Web Developer extension. You will be able to test your CSS changes live and when your happy, save it and copy over to the OSC stylesheet.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Yeah, that is a nice extension, but I'm looking at something unique to OSCommerce. Something that doesn't require any "extra" software.

Install Firefox and get the Web Developer extension. You will be able to test your CSS changes live and when your happy, save it and copy over to the OSC stylesheet.

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement almost all of the CMS systems and many forum systems like Invision and vBulletin offer this capability. Might see if there is a GPL solution that can be easily integrated.

Just need a file to read and parse the CSS file, present it in a form and then write it out again.

Archived