• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"out-of-stock" products ordered

koie

A few days ago a customer ordered a product that was not in stock anymore. After contacting the customer it appeared that she added the product a few days before she finalized the order. (put it into her personall cart and left.)

In between the product ran out of stock but the product was still ordered.

I have tried to duplicate this with different stock configuration settings but was everytime able to checkout an out of stock product.

I tested this by putting a product into the card --> Mark the product out of stock --> Finalize the order.

Would there be a way to circumvent this?

Remko

A few days ago a customer ordered a product that was not in stock anymore. After contacting the customer it appeared that she added the product a few days before she finalized the order. (put it into her personall cart and left.)

I have tried to duplicate this with different  stock configuration settings but was everytime able to checkout an out of stock product.

I tested this by putting a product into the card --> Mark the product  out of stock --> Finalize the order.

Remko

Should be a switch in the admin to set whether you can check out with out of stock products or not. Have you changed that?

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

I have tried to duplicate this with different  stock configuration settings but was everytime able to checkout an out of stock product.

I tested this by putting a product into the card --> Mark the product  out of stock --> Finalize the order.

Remko

I just simulated your situation by putting a product in my cart as customer nr. 1 and I just left it there. I then went ont the site as customer nr. 2 who orders the very same product which customer nr. 1 still has in his cart but didn't checkout yet. Customer nr. 2 bought the product and my stock went back to zero. I then logged on as customer nr. 1 again and immediately went to checkout the product I already put in my cart before. To my relief, after reading your message, I was not able to checkout this product again because stock was zero and osC prevented this as it should.

When this doesn't work with you there must be wrong something else one would assume. My settings for stock are:

check stock lever = true

subtract stock = true

allow checlout = false

mark product out of stock = ***

stock re-order level = 0

If you have the same settings it almost has to be your stock is not subtracted when someone completes a checkout. You can find this out quickly by doing the same as I did with two test customers and backtrack the possible problem.

Merry Christmas !

My approach was a little bit different.

I marked the article in de catalog menu as out of stock instead of letting OSC substract the stock itself.

The article doesn't show anymore in the shop but the customer who had this product still in his cart was still able to check out this product no matter what settings I used.

Remko

My approach was a little bit different.

I marked the article in de catalog menu as out of stock instead of letting OSC substract the stock itself.

The article doesn't show anymore in the shop but the customer who had this product still in his cart was still able to check out this product no matter what settings I used.

Remko

I just tried your approach but the effect is still the same, I can not checkout the product which is already in my cart before I put stock to zero.

Have you used a, or some, contribs which interfere with the normal stock process ?

Or did you just put the product out of sight without changing the stock to zero ? That would make sense as osC will see that there is still stock and will permit a checkout. It can't know by any means there is nothing left if you don't have your stock set to zero.

Or did you just put the product out of sight without changing the stock to zero ?

You might just hit the nail here!

I marked it out of stock but did not change the amount of stock to zero. I figured it wouldn't make a difference since it removes the product from the shop.

Thanx for pointing this out!

You might just hit the nail here!

I marked it out of stock but did not change the amount of stock to zero. I figured it wouldn't make a difference since it removes the product from the shop.

Thanx for pointing this out!

Glad to hear it was just that ! I have put a warning on my info popup at the login page that people should be aware that putting something into the shopping cart doesn't mean it is therefore reserved by them if they decide to come back a while/days later to complete the checkout.

It still is a tricky part though with every online shopping cart I guess; when someone puts a product in his/her cart and someone else does it at the same time for the same product it is he who does the checkout first who gets the product if only one is left. I wish there were some kind of mechanism which temporarily can put stock one down for the active session independant of fact a customer is registered or not. That would prevent someone from putting the same product in the cart which has just been added by someone else even thought it hasn't been sold yet. The chance for this kind of happenings is not that big but it can occur.

Anyhow, as said, glad to hear it is clear now.

Merry Christmas.

Archived