• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Integrate into Existing

Schatten

I am extremely new to the whole shopping cart process. I have looked over the installation instructions and from what I can see, the basic instructions make the shopping cart the base of the website.

I already have a web site built that I want to add the shopping cart to on the back end--sort of a go to place to purchase after viewers look at the base site.

On the Oscomerse site it says the program is easily added to existing sites, but I can't for the life of me find where there are instructions to do so. :'(

Any help that you could give would be appreciated!

Hi there,

Its pretty straightforward stuff - there may well be other ways to do this but heres how idid it (and take a look at www.rosiesrainbowfund.co.uk as an example).

Ok, if you followed the standard install OScommerce should have ended up in a directory of your server called 'catalog' so the first thing you will want to do is change the way the store looks to make it look like your normal site - take a look in the collaborative documentation effort and you'll find an article on style sheets and what the various settings within it will do.

If you have a static design on your existing site then take a look at Vger's excellent template for a fixed state width'' (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2712/page,3).

now once you've got the shop generally looking the right way, you'll want to do things like add in your existing site navbar etc - there are four files that will control this - in /includes/ in the catalog folder - header.php, footer,.php, column_left.php and column_right.php - useing these four files you can basically move stuff around. For example in the shop i mention aboove i simply took the html for my header, made all the links absolute (including image links, js scripts etc) and pasted it into the header php file - thus my header appears in the shop.

now links from within your existing site - what i normally do (and there may be better ways, but this works) is set up the category and product in the new shop go to it in the front end, copy the link from the address bar and paste that into the link that i want from my static site, and hey presto you can link directly to a product in the shop from your own pages.

hope that helps.

Hi there,

Its pretty straightforward stuff - there may well be other ways to do this but heres how idid it (and take a look at www.rosiesrainbowfund.co.uk as an example).

Ok, if you followed the standard install OScommerce should have ended up in a directory of your server called 'catalog'  so the first thing you will want to do is change the way the store looks to make it look like your normal site - take a look in the collaborative documentation effort and you'll find an article on style sheets and what the various settings within it will do. 

If you have a static design on your existing site then take a look at Vger's excellent template for a fixed state width'' (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2712/page,3).

now once you've got the shop generally looking the right way, you'll want to do things like add in your existing site navbar  etc - there are four files that will control this - in /includes/ in the catalog folder - header.php, footer,.php, column_left.php and column_right.php - useing these four files you can basically move stuff around.  For example in the shop i mention aboove i simply took the html for my header, made all the links absolute (including image links, js scripts etc) and pasted it into the header php file - thus my header appears in the shop.

now links from within your existing site - what i normally do (and there may be better ways, but this works) is set up the category and product in the new shop go to it in the front end, copy the link from the address bar and paste that into the link that i want from my static site, and hey presto you can link directly to a product in the shop from your own pages.

hope that helps.

Archived