• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to change directories?

magazine

Hello,

I have been examining oscommerce now for a couple of weeks and it seems to be a great tool and I can't wait to use it. The problem is that I am a total newbie/idiot. After lots of headaches I have decided to ask for help. My website is at www.igotyourmagazine.com. For someone to actually get to my store they have to enter in www.igotyourmagazine.com/catalog. I need help trying to figure out what to change so that when someone enters in www.igotyourmagazine.com they actually go to my store without having to enter in the /catalog extension. I tried changing the settings when I initially configured oscommerce, but I am sure that I probably did it wrong. I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Just let me know what more information you need and I will gladly get it all for you.

Thank You, Michael

Michael, ask your host to do a redirect to that folder, or do it form your Cpanel if you have one. Redirect URL - it's by far simpler than editing your config files and moving your site folders.

That's what you pay them for right?

TJ -

Hello,

I have been examining oscommerce now for a couple of weeks and it seems to be a great tool and I can't wait to use it.  The problem is that I am a total newbie/idiot.  After lots of headaches I have decided to ask for help.  My website is at www.igotyourmagazine.com.  For someone to actually get to my store they have to enter in www.igotyourmagazine.com/catalog.  I need help trying to figure out what to change so that when someone enters in www.igotyourmagazine.com they actually go to my store without having to enter in the /catalog extension.  I tried changing the settings when I initially configured oscommerce, but I am sure that I probably did it wrong.  I would GREATLY appreciate any help.  Just let me know what more information you need and I will gladly get it all for you.

Thank You, Michael

thats a simple problem even i know how to fix. re install your site but take all the files out of the catalog folder then upload them and when you install the site it will go straight to your shop when someone type in your site address. rather than having to add catalog to the url all the time

Re-installing is kinda overkill isn't it? It's already running in the catalog folder.

If it ain't broke..... :)

TJ

thats a simple problem even i know how to fix. re install your site but take all the files out of the catalog folder then upload them and when you install the site it will go straight to your shop when someone type in your site address. rather than having to add catalog to the url all the time

Hello,

Thank You everyone for your replies. I ended up doing what armada21st suggested and I reinstalled everything in that directory. Everything worked out great. I just started building my website and didn't have an extensive database, so the reinstall didn't cost me much time.

Thanks again, Michael

:)

Search engines don't like re-directs frm my understanding.

TJ (or anyone for that matter) - about four posts above this you said to use a redirected URL. Here is the exact text:

Michael, ask your host to do a redirect to that folder, or do it form your Cpanel if you have one. Redirect URL - it's by far simpler than editing your config files and moving your site folders.

Is there some kind of difference between the two methods (php redirect vs. Cpanel redirect) that makes the Cpanel redirect work and play better with the SE's?

Thanks,

Paul (another not so web savvy guy)

A redirect using .htaccess is not heavily punished by search engines (as long as it is a redirect to within the domain), but meta tag refresh redirects are heavily punished by search engines. However, as a general rule, search engines don't like redirects.

Vger

• 1 month later...

Maybe I've missed this somewhere in the forum, but isn't the easiest way to setup redirection from the root to the catalog folder at the domain registrar? (eg. have www.yoursite.com forward to www.yoursite.com/catalog)

Does anybody know if there are SE repurcutions in doing things this way?

cxdi_logo_100x45.gif

Archived