• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

product description on category page

looking for a way to get my product description onto my index.php page as part of the product listing. i dont wanna remove it from the product_info.php .

right now i have my product listings as image / item name / add to cart / price / quantity

i'd like to get the description to go underneath product name.. .

any help would be greatly appreciated..

There is a contribution for this - search contributions, I think its called "Description in Product Listing" :D

It displays a truncated products description (you can set the length)

HTH

Matti

alright.. i went and downloaded... 14 Jun 2003 - Description_in_Product_Listing_v41.zip

uploaded the files.. 5 of them.

ran the sql additions..

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES ('', 'Display Product Description', 'PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION', '99', 'Set to 0 to disable, set to 99 to enable.', '8', '11', '', '', NULL, NULL);

INSERT INTO `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) VALUES ('', 'Length of Truncated Product Description', 'PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION_LENGTH', '350', 'How many characters would you like to display? ', '8', '12', '2002-03-16 18:51:26', '2002-03-16 18:51:26', NULL, NULL);

now when i go to my site and try going through catagories.. this is the error message i get..

Warning: Division by zero in /home/murderth/public_html/distro/includes/classes/split_page_results.php on line 59

Displaying 0 to 0 (of 70 products) Result Pages:  -9  -8  -7  -6  -5  -4  -3  -2  -1  0 

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' p.products_id, p.manufacturers_id, p.products_price, p.produc

select pd.products_name, p.products_image, p.products_quantity, pd.products_description, , p.products_id, p.manufacturers_id, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, IF(s.status, s.specials_new_products_price, NULL) as specials_new_products_price, IF(s.status, s.specials_new_products_price, p.products_price) as final_price from products_description pd, products p left join manufacturers m on p.manufacturers_id = m.manufacturers_id, products_to_categories p2c left join specials s on p.products_id = s.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' and p2c.categories_id = '24' order by pd.products_name

[TEP STOP]

I went on my webhost and checked their server info on what i am using..

PHP version 4.3.9

MySQL version 4.0.22-standard

right now i reuploaded my original files, but the sql is stil in my database, i can remove this easily..

anyone able to help??

That version is a bit dated if it was me I would use the newer version from this year.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

here we go, round 2

11 Dec 2004 - Product_Description_1.3 osc2ms2.2

all files manually edited per install.txt *i hate doing this, fear of extra spaces and junk, will it mess me up?* sql file ran and accepted by database..

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_flatten_product_description() (previously declared in /home/*******/public_html/distro/includes/functions/general.php:1254) in /home/********/public_html/distro/includes/modules/product_listing.php on line 17

You have two instances of the same function 'tep_flatten_product_description', one in general.php and the other in product_listing.php - remove one of them :D

Matti

You have two instances of the same function 'tep_flatten_product_description', one in general.php and the other in product_listing.php - remove one of them  :D

Matti

matti - i went and did what ya said by keeping one of the functions out.. i wasnt sure what part to keep out....

either the function tep_flatten_product_description($description, $link)

by itself, or along with

{
 $description = ereg_replace('<[^>]*>', '', $description);
 if (strlen($description) > PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH){
   $sub_description = wordwrap($description, PRODUCT_LIST_DESCRIPTION_MAX_LENGTH,'$@$');
       $sub_des = explode('$@$',$sub_description);
       $description = $sub_des[0];
       $description .= "...".$link;
     }
 return $description;
}

i did it just as the second half first. it was given a fatal error. so i added the first line *giving me two full functions*, and refreshed my browser and it works.. so tomorrow morning *10hrs from now*, i'll check all the code and see what it fits in comparrison to the install.txt..

much thanks.. site looks great now.. very pleased..

Archived