• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Removing Default Text/info on Catelog Page

richypete

Hi:

Ok, OS is working after installing it manually in Ipowerweb. That is another story of superhuman willpower I may elaborate on later.

In any case I have edited various things, added my own logo, as well as a test item and image. My admin page is fine.

But I CANNOT find the file/s to get rid of the default text "this is a demonstration site..." et cetera. This page has an item I listed and I have put in my logo so I know I am doing something right.

LISTEN!!! There is NO text in catelog/functions/languages/english.PHP to edit out!

I have checked both english files and cannot find the text to edit. Another poster had an identical problem and the respondent gave hime a snotty answer directing him to the english.php file so I did a new topic.

Help!!! Rich :'(

Hi:

Ok, OS is working after installing it manually in Ipowerweb. That is another story of superhuman willpower I may elaborate on later.

In any case I have edited various things, added my own logo, as well as a test item and image. My admin page is fine.

But I CANNOT find the file/s to get rid of the default text "this is a demonstration site..." et cetera. This page has an item I listed and I have put in my logo so I know I am doing something right.

LISTEN!!! There is NO text in catelog/functions/languages/english.PHP to edit out!

I have checked both english files and cannot find the text to edit. Another poster had an identical problem and the respondent gave hime a snotty answer directing him to the english.php file so I did a new topic.

Ok, in /catalog/includes/languages/english.php you should see:

"define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');"

It's there that you need to edit. For example, for now, mine says:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'Welcome to Sweet Homes.');

I hope this helps.

SR Bullo

Ok-I found it! :blink:

catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php

The code is on the first line and scrolls forwever across the page.

Rich

Hi:

Remember - don't edit it online with the osCommerce File Manager. Download the file, use a plain text editor (NotePad not WordPad) and then upload when finished - and keep a backup of the original file just in case.

Vger

Archived