• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Error while trying to install

Hi,

Own a business and am using OScommerce as an aid to buidling a website. I know HTML, but know nothing about PHP and MySQL. I was reading a book about PHP, but since it was taking so long to learn, I found OScommerce as an alternative to reading a huge book on the subject.

Anyway, I now using easyphp on my computer just for developement purposes, and will subscrube to a webhost when the site has been developed. During installation, I got an error message when trying to load the "catalog folder". Here is what the message said:

"FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!"

If anyone knows what I should, I would appreciate your assistance.

Another questino I have is In the instructions, it tells you put the catalog folder in the Administartion area, and to rename it as a secret name. I'm not exactly sure what this means I should do.

Thanks for yoru help,

-Alex

Thanks

Hi,

Own a business and am using OScommerce as an aid to buidling a website.  I know HTML, but know nothing about PHP and MySQL.  I was reading a book about PHP, but since it was taking so long to learn, I found OScommerce as an alternative to reading a huge book on the subject.

Anyway, I now using easyphp on my computer just for developement purposes, and will subscrube to a webhost when the site has been developed.  During installation, I got an error message when trying to load the "catalog folder".  Here is what the message said:

"FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!"

If anyone knows what I should, I would appreciate your assistance.

Another questino I have is In the instructions, it tells you put the catalog folder in the Administartion area, and to rename it as a secret name. I'm not exactly sure what this means I should do. 

Thanks for yoru help,

-Alex

Thanks

Well, as for the register_globals, There's a contribution which makes the site work with globals disabled. Search for the contribution from

oscomerce.com/contributions

As for the other issue I'm not sure what you mean, what instructions do you have? Maybe if you copy and paste them here it would be clear to me what you are trying to do. Anyway maybe somebody else knows what you mean and can help with that part.

This is a local install, so you have access to php.ini - no need to install any mod to get around it. Run a file search on your computer for php.ini (it's usually c:\windows\php.ini. Search for register_globals on that page and change the stting to 'On'

You rename the 'admin' folder (found in 'catalog') to a secret name. Do this after you have completed the install, and then change all references to the 'admin' folder in both of your configure.php files to match with its new name.

Vger

Hey thanks a lot for your help.

Doesn't it add a security risk to turn on register globals?

Just checking.

Thanks,

-Alex

---

This is a local install, so you have access to php.ini - no need to install any mod to get around it.  Run a file search on your computer for php.ini (it's usually c:\windows\php.ini.  Search for register_globals on that page and change the stting to 'On'

You rename the 'admin' folder (found in 'catalog') to a secret name.  Do this after you have completed the install, and then change all references to the 'admin' folder in both of your configure.php files to match with its new name.

Vger

Archived