• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who's Online Enhancement 1.4

Ok, thanks, I must have missed that one. It is working now except the time online clock always shows 00:00:00. How can I fix that?

Rob

Actually after messing around a bit with it, the online time clock only gives the time between the entry time and the last click time. It should be a running total of how long the customer has been on the site regardless of the number of clicks. Any way to change it to reflect what I want? Thanks.

Rob

Actually after messing around a bit with it, the online time clock only gives the time between the entry time and the last click time. It should be a running total of how long the customer has been on the site regardless of the number of clicks. Any way to change it to reflect what I want? Thanks.

Rob

I suppose you could, but how do you handle the case where the customer leaves the site? Do you keep counting up time until the idle limit is reached? At that point, do you then count the online time as from first click to last click, or do you keep the 5 minutes or so after the last click?

If you can come up with a better method of counting time online, I'll consider adding it. You are welcome to modify your own copy to suit your needs.

--Glen

I suppose you could, but how do you handle the case where the customer leaves the site? Do you keep counting up time until the idle limit is reached? At that point, do you then count the online time as from first click to last click, or do you keep the 5 minutes or so after the last click?

If you can come up with a better method of counting time online, I'll consider adding it. You are welcome to modify your own copy to suit your needs.

--Glen

Hi Glen,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me. It's a great contribution. My perception (if I were designing it) of the who's online contribution should reflect exactly who's online and what page they're on and how long they have been on the site...in real time. Last click time is great too. It would be nice to see them disappear when they leave the site if that's possible. I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know where to begin modifying it or coming up with a better method. I can certainly live with it the way it is.

Rob

Hi Glen,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me. It's a great contribution. My perception (if I were designing it) of the who's online contribution should reflect exactly who's online and what page they're on and how long they have been on the site...in real time. Last click time is great too. It would be nice to see them disappear when they leave the site if that's possible. I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know where to begin modifying it or coming up with a better method. I can certainly live with it the way it is.

Rob

The only way that we can know what visitors are doing is through their clicks. There is no way to determine what they are doing once they receive the page, unless we were to add some Javascript to every page (probably in application_top.php) that sends a notification to the server when the user closes the page. I'm not too keen on adding that level of monitoring. So, we have to resort to the approximation that a visit lasts from the first click to the most recent one. Also, we use arbitrarily defined idle times to determine the end of a visit.

Because we poll the state of the whos_online table at fixed intervals, we don't get to see everything that visitors do in the shop, just what they are doing at the moment we update. Real-time updates are not possible with the current architecture, and would be a huge burden on the server in busy shops.

--Glen

The only way that we can know what visitors are doing is through their clicks. There is no way to determine what they are doing once they receive the page, unless we were to add some Javascript to every page (probably in application_top.php) that sends a notification to the server when the user closes the page. I'm not too keen on adding that level of monitoring. So, we have to resort to the approximation that a visit lasts from the first click to the most recent one. Also, we use arbitrarily defined idle times to determine the end of a visit.

Because we poll the state of the whos_online table at fixed intervals, we don't get to see everything that visitors do in the shop, just what they are doing at the moment we update. Real-time updates are not possible with the current architecture, and would be a huge burden on the server in busy shops.

--Glen

Glen,

In the standard Who's Online module when a customer arrives at the site the clock starts at that point. Another refresh will show more time of the clock even if the customer stays on the first page. On yours, the clock stays at 00:00:00 until the customer makes a second click. Is there an easy way to keep the clock going after each refresh?

Also, is there a way to show where the customer is located right there on the Who's Online page instead of clicking away from it?

Thanks again,

Rob

i think i managed to fix this show admin checkbox

i added

<tr>

<td class="smallText" align="left">

show admin

</td>

<td class="smallText" align="left">

<?php echo '<input type="checkbox" name="admin" value="show" onclick="this.form.submit()"' . ($_GET['admin'] == 'show' ? ' checked="checked"': '') . '>'; ?>

</td>

</tr>

after the bot checkbox did not make a language string for this.

edited this part to add the admin

if (!($is_bot && !isset($_GET['bots']))) {

if (!($is_admin && !isset($_GET['admin']))) {

if ($whos_online['session_id'] == $info) {

if($whos_online['http_referer'] != "")

{

$http_referer_url = $whos_online['http_referer'];

}

and then closed it further down

} //close the if $is_admin

} // closes "if $isbot statement

} // closes "while" statement

i think that was all

this was done on v3.5.4 the 3.5.5 did not work ok for me.

i think i managed to fix this show admin checkbox

i added

[snip]

this was done on v3.5.4 the 3.5.5 did not work ok for me.

Where did you find v3.5.5? The latest version is v3.5.4, along with a number of updates adding language translations.

Most shops have limited numbers of admin users browsing the site, so removing admins is of limited interest.

--Glen

so removing admins is of limited interest.

--Glen

ok if it is no value for you just get the post deleted.

i wanted this and thats why i did this.and only if someone have just a smal interest of the same thing i posted it here.

i often edit some things in products and then have a look at the shop. and if i do this some times and close the browserwindow

i get many admin users filling up the space for 15minutes.

so to have this option on a checkbox is some sort of value for me.

also another thing.

where can i add inputbox for '(Considered inactive after 5 minutes. Removed after 15 minutes)'

so that the admin can select this values

ok if it is no value for you just get the post deleted.

i wanted this and thats why i did this.and only if someone have just a smal interest of the same thing i posted it here.

I don't think it is of no value; just that its value is limited to those shops which have many accesses from the admin user, which I believe to be the minority of shops.

i often edit some things in products and then have a look at the shop. and if i do this some times and close the browserwindow

i get many admin users filling up the space for 15minutes.

so to have this option on a checkbox is some sort of value for me.

My work style leaves a browser tab open for the shop when testing. I can flip back and forth between the admin tab and the shop tab, which creates only one admin entry in who's online. Different people have different work styles, so I'm not saying that one way is better than another.

also another thing.

where can i add inputbox for '(Considered inactive after 5 minutes. Removed after 15 minutes)'

so that the admin can select this values

You could put it near the Show Bots checkbox, I suppose. Note that there is some interaction between the admin viewer and the collector, as the collector (/catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php) contains the code to delete entries from the whos_online table when the idle limit has been reached. That is done so that the whos_online table doesn't grow uncontrollably when nobody is watching the admin viewer.

I am getting the following errors after instaling who is online enhancement

On my browser

1054 - Unknown column 'hostname' in 'field list'

insert into whos_online (customer_id, full_name, session_id, ip_address, hostname, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, http_referer, user_agent) values ('0', 'Guest', '068c9e28d9d03f07cfffc77be2792723', '127.0.0.1', 'localhost', '1237867301', '1237867301', '/osctest1/', '', 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)')

[TEP STOP]

on my admin panel

select customer_id, full_name, ip_address, hostname, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, http_referer, user_agent, session_id from whos_online order by time_last_click DESC

[TEP STOP]

Edited by jezjames

I am getting the following errors after instaling who is online enhancement

On my browser

[snip]

Step 3 of the installation instructions instructs you to run some SQL code to add new fields to the whos_online table in the database. When upgrading from a version of Who's Online Enhancement prior to v3.5, only the last statement needs to be run.

Using phpMyAdmin or a similar tool, run the following SQL statement on your shop's database:

ALTER TABLE `whos_online` ADD `hostname` VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL AFTER `ip_address`;

This will resolve your problem.

--Glen

• 2 weeks later...

i got an problem that after i shift the hosting, the whoise online show the duplicate ip but it is in fact only few visitors around but it is come out a list of it and what should i do to solve this problem

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed version 3.5.4 and is brilliant. However, although I haven't touched anything, my pages don't refresh anymore. It looks like this happens since I updated to IE7. has this happened to anyone too? Is there a fix to this?

Thanks,

Alix

Did you disable Javascript in IE7? That would cause the page not to refresh on its own. I don't use IE7, so I haven't tested it.

--Glen

Hi,

I installed version 3.5.4 and is brilliant. However, although I haven't touched anything, my pages don't refresh anymore. It looks like this happens since I updated to IE7. has this happened to anyone too? Is there a fix to this?

Thanks,

Alix

Did you disable Javascript in IE7? That would cause the page not to refresh on its own. I don't use IE7, so I haven't tested it.

--Glen

Hi Glen and thanks a lot for your reply. I haven't touched the Javascript options...do you know where I should be looking at? I believe it's in my internet options / advanced? It may be my Java version?

Thanks

I am having a problem that just arose yesterday and continues today (my store has been up and running for months). I have MSN bots showing up as a guest and gaining a session. I have written down their IP addresses and want to put them in whatever file I need to in order to block them from getting a session, but I don't know where. Do I place them in the spider.txt file? If so, do I just place the IP address in there? I already have msnbot listed but they're still getting through. :(

I am having a problem that just arose yesterday and continues today (my store has been up and running for months). I have MSN bots showing up as a guest and gaining a session. I have written down their IP addresses and want to put them in whatever file I need to in order to block them from getting a session, but I don't know where. Do I place them in the spider.txt file? If so, do I just place the IP address in there? I already have msnbot listed but they're still getting through. :(

Is your spiders.txt file up to date? If not, look in the add ons for updated spiders add on.

Vickie,

We determine whether a user is a bot from its user agent. What you are seeing are MSN agents masquerading as live users to detect cloaking, which is where some web sites return different results to bots than to live users. I haven't figured out a good way to get rid of them from the results. While they do get sessions, I haven't seen them put anything in carts.

Spiders.txt operates on user agent strings, so nothing there would help.

You don't want to block them altogether; it may affect search results.

There are two approaches to this. First is to make a change to the bot detection code to flag these as bots and prevent them from getting sessions. This approach is outside the scope of Who's Online Enhancement. The second would be to allow them to get sessions, but display them as though they were detected as bots. This is something that can be done in Who's Online Enhancement, and could be quite simple.

--Glen

--Glen

Today it's working and i haven't touched anything! No idea of what went wrong. Sorry for the waist of time Glen.

Alix