• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who's Online Enhancement 1.4

I want to share with you my little change to 3.5.4 from SteveDallas

It add a little globe icon that show IP location on a google map (with geoiptool.com website help) :rolleyes:

geoiptoolko4.gif

w356.png

NOTE: Install first original Who's Online Enhancement v3_5_4.zip from SteveDallas and after overwrite this file to your catalog

Who_s Online Enhancement v3_5_4 _ GEOIPTOOL.zip - 0.01MB

Hope Steve add this feature to next release :lol:

Good Work!

Hi,

I made the change in the file above all is working but I am having a problem.

Rather than showing the IP address of the person who is online it uses my IP address and shows my mapped location every time.

Has anyone else tried this small change or has anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong?

I'm having a great Day - hope you are too!

Leon

• 2 weeks later...

I just uploaded 2 new mods that work with the whos online program.

The first mod will ban or unban users by writing their IP address to the htaccess file

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6320

The second mod will allow you to track users in whos online when they look for pages not in your shop.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6321

Hi Glen!

I installed the Who's Online Enhancement v3.5.4(2) a couple of days ago, and I LOVE it! Easy to install, and it's very informative and fun. Thank you very much for all your work. :)

I wonder if anyone here is also using the SuperTracker contribution? I was thinkiing of installing it, too, but wondered if it would conflict with the Who's Online Enhancement in any way. I wouldn't want to screw it up. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

~Wendy

Hi Glen!

I installed the Who's Online Enhancement v3.5.4(2) a couple of days ago, and I LOVE it! Easy to install, and it's very informative and fun. Thank you very much for all your work. :)

I wonder if anyone here is also using the SuperTracker contribution? I was thinkiing of installing it, too, but wondered if it would conflict with the Who's Online Enhancement in any way. I wouldn't want to screw it up. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

~Wendy

Hi Wendy

I use both with no problems.

Hi Glen!

Thanks again,

~Wendy

Wendy,

Thanks for the compliments. I see that Leslie has answered your question about SuperTracker.

What is v3.5.4(2)? The latest version I posted was v3.5.4. Is it the one with the GeoIP stuff added?

--Glen

Oops, sorry Glen! I just glanced at my file folder of osC mods while I wrote my post. It's not v3.5.4(2) - it's just a second copy of the download.

Apparently I was so excited about it, I downloaded it twice! :lol:

Thanks again, - and thanks to Leslie for rerassuring me about SuperTracker,

~Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Now that I am TOTALLY addicted to this contribution I have what I hope is a simple question.

What/where code should I add/alter to set default values for Refresh Rate, Profile Display and Show Bots?

I know it is a simple matter to set these but as I always set them the same each day it would be nice if it started with the defaults I prefer.

Thanks.

Hi. Now that I am TOTALLY addicted to this contribution I have what I hope is a simple question.

What/where code should I add/alter to set default values for Refresh Rate, Profile Display and Show Bots?

I know it is a simple matter to set these but as I always set them the same each day it would be nice if it started with the defaults I prefer.

Thanks.

It can be done, but at the moment it's a little cumbersome. I'll fix that in the next release. In the meantime, you can save your preferred defaults in a bookmark and just load the bookmark.

--Glen

It can be done, but at the moment it's a little cumbersome. I'll fix that in the next release. In the meantime, you can save your preferred defaults in a bookmark and just load the bookmark.

--Glen

Thanks Glen, I will bookmark and wait (impatiently ;) ) for the next release.

Paul.

Hello,

I'm updating from Version 3.4 and got a couple errors while trying to execute the first 2 lines of the sql queries in the readme I get:

SQL query:

ALTER TABLE whos_online ADD http_referer VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL

MySQL said: Documentation

#1060 - Duplicate column name 'http_referer'

and for the second query i get:

SQL query:

ALTER TABLE whos_online ADD user_agent VARCHAR( 255 ) NOT NULL

MySQL said: Documentation

#1060 - Duplicate column name 'user_agent'

I checked both configure.php files and both store sessions displayed the same thing:

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

I uploaded all the files and its working fine however I no longer see what is in the users shopping cart. anything I can do to fix this?

Edited by sackling

Hello,

I'm updating from Version 3.4 and got a couple errors while trying to execute the first 2 lines of the sql queries in the readme I get:

[snip]

I checked both configure.php files and both store sessions displayed the same thing:

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

I uploaded all the files and its working fine however I no longer see what is in the users shopping cart. anything I can do to fix this?

Don't worry about the SQL errors; it is not clear in the instructions that the first two lines only apply if you are upgrading from the original 'Who's Online'. I will have to go back and check which version added those columns and update the instructions accordingly.

Was the cart display working before you updated from v3.4?

--Glen

Don't worry about the SQL errors; it is not clear in the instructions that the first two lines only apply if you are upgrading from the original 'Who's Online'. I will have to go back and check which version added those columns and update the instructions accordingly.

Was the cart display working before you updated from v3.4?

--Glen

hmm ok. weird then. yes the cart was working before.

Does anyone know why when I install this contribution I would be seeing the following:

Inactive with no Cart 00:00:00 Guest Admin 12:04:50 pm 12:04:50 pm /favicon.ico Yes Not Found

Inactive with no Cart 00:12:27 Guest Admin 11:47:42 am 12:00:09 pm /admin/includes/menu.js Yes Not Found

It does not do this in any of my other oscommerce websites, but for some reason it is showing me looking at very strange things.

Thanks for your help

Evan

Does anyone know why when I install this contribution I would be seeing the following:

Inactive with no Cart 00:00:00 Guest Admin 12:04:50 pm 12:04:50 pm /favicon.ico Yes Not Found

Inactive with no Cart 00:12:27 Guest Admin 11:47:42 am 12:00:09 pm /admin/includes/menu.js Yes Not Found

It does not do this in any of my other oscommerce websites, but for some reason it is showing me looking at very strange things.

Thanks for your help

Evan

Evan,

I have never seen anything like that. The code that collects the 'last URL' is in catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php. It runs from within catalog/includes/application_top.php, so it should only pick up the names of actual pages that you visit in the shop. The method used to grab the current page is different from what was used by the stock osC, but hasn't been touched in ages. I believe it was changed because the original method didn't work with some servers.

The files aren't particularly strange; favicon.ico is the icon file that is displayed in the browser to the left of the URL and in tabs when using tabbed browsing. Menu.js could belong to a contribution that you have installed. However, they shouldn't normally appear in a who's online listing.

--Glen

Evan,

I have never seen anything like that. The code that collects the 'last URL' is in catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php. It runs from within catalog/includes/application_top.php, so it should only pick up the names of actual pages that you visit in the shop. The method used to grab the current page is different from what was used by the stock osC, but hasn't been touched in ages. I believe it was changed because the original method didn't work with some servers.

The files aren't particularly strange; favicon.ico is the icon file that is displayed in the browser to the left of the URL and in tabs when using tabbed browsing. Menu.js could belong to a contribution that you have installed. However, they shouldn't normally appear in a who's online listing.

--Glen

Hi

Thanks for the great contribution but have one issue is that for some bots it thinks that they are real users - how can this be fixed?

Thanks

TMM

Whats the point of a signature?

Hi

Thanks for the great contribution but have one issue is that for some bots it thinks that they are real users - how can this be fixed?

Thanks

TMM

Have you updated the spiders.txt file?

Hi

Thanks

TMM

What Leslie said. Install Updated spiders.txt and let us know what you find. Note that the Microsoft link quality agent, originating from 65.55.xx.xx, cannot be detected by the method that osC uses to detect bots, as it masquerades as a legitimate user. It is checking for cloaking; web sites that return different content to spiders than actual users. I just live with it.

The shop configuration setting Force Cookie Use causes issues with the bot detection code, so turn it off unless you have a specific reason to turn it on.

--Glen

Edited by SteveDallas

Thank for this great plugin,

I am having a problem with ip addresses not display. Also sometimes it displays admin twice when only logged on once, but the second seems to trail the first with a delayed time showing. Any ideas?

Thank for this great plugin,

I am having a problem with ip addresses not display. Also sometimes it displays admin twice when only logged on once, but the second seems to trail the first with a delayed time showing. Any ideas?

If nothing is displaying in the IP address field at all, verify that you have installed the new data collection function, catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php.

If IP addresses do not display only for some users, it is possible that your web host's DNS resolver is returning null responses. I have seen this on occasion, and will post an update in the next release to display the IP address if the DNS name lookup response contains no useful information.

Regarding duplicate entries, I have seen this with customers from time to time. I don't know exactly what causes it, but it appears that some browsers make multiple simultaneous accesses, and get assigned multiple session IDs. The session ID is the key the data collector portion of the application uses to create records in the whos_online table. I can only speculate as to the root cause of this; it may be a side effect of web acceleration technology that anticipates the user's next click or something else altogether.

--Glen

Thanks for your help

Evan

Evan,

I have an update for you. I have now seen this behavior. It is a side effect of the Missing Page contribution, which creates a custom error document that links back into the web shop. Part of its function is to add requests for non-existent pages to the Who's Online table, so that you can see who is banging on your site looking for backdoors.

You don't have a favicon, so it's understandable why that appears. You can create one; there are guidelines here: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

It also appears that you have an admin page that is requesting menu.js, which is not present, from either an incomplete installation or an obsolete reference. If you have a tool that can search multiple files for text, and have a local copy of your site, it should be easy to find.

--Glen

If nothing is displaying in the IP address field at all, verify that you have installed the new data collection function, catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php.

If IP addresses do not display only for some users, it is possible that your web host's DNS resolver is returning null responses. I have seen this on occasion, and will post an update in the next release to display the IP address if the DNS name lookup response contains no useful information.

Regarding duplicate entries, I have seen this with customers from time to time. I don't know exactly what causes it, but it appears that some browsers make multiple simultaneous accesses, and get assigned multiple session IDs. The session ID is the key the data collector portion of the application uses to create records in the whos_online table. I can only speculate as to the root cause of this; it may be a side effect of web acceleration technology that anticipates the user's next click or something else altogether.

--Glen

Gee... thanks mate I'm sure that was it (not tested yet) as the file size where different. Thanks and did not mean to waste your time.

Gee... thanks mate I'm sure that was it (not tested yet) as the file size where different. Thanks and did not mean to waste your time.

It's not a waste of my time. These questions come up from time to time, and for every question posted, there are probably several who can benefit from the response. It's easy to miss a file when doing an installation, or to lose track of which directory one is working in and put the language file over the main file. I've done that (more than once).

If that wasn't the problem, let us know and we'll come up with some other ideas.

--Glen

--Glen

I also cannot see any IP addresses listed, same for Referer comlumn. I did install catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php.

I hope something can be done soon.

I also cannot see any IP addresses listed, same for Referer comlumn. I did install catalog/includes/functions/whos_online.php.

I hope something can be done soon.

To troubleshoot this problem, you will need to browse the whos_online table in your database using your database admin tool, such as phpmyadmin. Are the hostname and http_referer fields being populated? If not, the problem lies in the data collection end. Note that not all entries will have an http_referer entry. Users who access your site by typing your URL into their browser will not have a referer. Bots typically don't, either.

--Glen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed this on our shop (3.5.4) we're using MS2 and it works perfectly ... i tried installing it on another site using RC2 ... however when someone adds something to their cart it wont show up ... i checked the configure files and they both have the same STORE_SESSIONS location (mysql) ... is there anything else I can check?

I just checked the database - the user agent is not being recorded either :|

Cheers

Edited by sLaV-