• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

In Shock

Me & my partner invested some of our life saving to start our own business but naively enough we didnt realise the guy ( shark) who set our site up had used os to set our e shop up....im a bit embaressed as i should have realised earlier and now we are a year down the libe with no sales to speak of...i need to change images and text to attract more customers but am not sure where to start..

achilleas

Me & my partner invested some of our life saving to start our own business but naively enough we didnt realise the guy ( shark) who set our site up had used os to set our e shop up....im a bit embaressed as i should have realised earlier and now we are a year down the libe with no sales to speak of...i need to change images and text to attract more customers but am not sure where to start..

achilleas

Well there is nothing wrong with using osC for your shop unless he told you he was using something else. What images and what text are you wanting to change? You can get help here but you need to ask specific questions.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

It sounds more likely that you need to get your website properly optimised for search engines, so that it gets noticed. Some very basic osCommerce sites do good business because

1. They get noticed on search engines

2. They're selling products people want, and at a price they are prepared to pay

If your sales are that bad, as a temporary measure, why don't you try jump-starting sales by selling on E-bay? You can't openly advertise your own site on E-bay, but when someone either uses Instant Buy or wins an auction on one of your items you get to send them details of your site and your stock with the item they've purchased.

Vger

In the past few months, I've met folks that previously set up websites with Miva Merchant or other e-commerce software. After learning about osC, they all wanted to start using it rather than the packages that they were used to.

Whoever set up osC for you did well to choose it.

I agree with Rhea, though, about eBay (worked for me), SEO, etc. Marketing is everything. If nobody knows about your site, how can they buy from you?

There are a lot of threads here on SEO and increasing sales. You can also submit product feeds to Froogle, BizRate, shopping.com, etc.

There are a lot of things you can do - - you're not down and out until you decide that you are.

-jared

The site looks great although I think the header uses too much space and the graphics load slow.

Search Engine Optimization is really necessary here. There are NO meta tags anywhere on the site. Did the developer actually submit the site to any search engines?

ed

• 5 months later...

how do i add meta tags and what is the best way to optimise this site in your opinion?

many thanks for your comments..

A :'(

The site looks great although I think the header uses too much space and the graphics load slow.

Search Engine Optimization is really necessary here.  There are NO meta tags anywhere on the site.  Did the developer actually submit the site to any search engines?

ed

how do i add meta tags and what is the best way to optimise this site in your opinion?

many thanks for your comments..

A  :'(

The best way is to add the header-tags controller

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...l/search,header

It will add category and product info to the meta tags and titles.

A stop gap though is to get into index.php and add them statically.

Beyond that just make sure you have relative content (good descriptions) on your product pages and you should rank pretty high on relevance.

Sites super-cool BTW.

Good luck!

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Oh, here's a tip. Do some hands on marketing. Head to forums that make sense for your prods and post. Use your url in the sig line. If you can get people visiting your site and posting links and such in their blogs you'll shoot right up the Google ladder as well. Difficult to generate that kind of buzz but might work.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Here's my 2 cents:

I agree with Iggy about finding forums/communities/blogs. You have to market your business for customers to find you. You may also need to 'submit your site' directly to as many search engines as you can if you aren't showing up anywhere.

You'd be surprised how many blog sites there are and how many people rely on others options of merchandise & goods.

When I was first starting out I had someone try out my stuff and mention it at a community at livejournal.com (unknown to me). My business all of a sudden increased by like 500% SERIOUSLY. Now I have most people mention "I heard about you through X site/community/blog". So it's great advertising!

I know they have a lot of punk & skater communities around too thay may help you.

You may also think about shipping outside of Europe. I know it creates problems with shipping costs and tracking and whatnot- but in my personal experience I never wanted to hear "I'd buy from you - BUT you don't ship to my country". So I ship everywhere and I'd say a good 30% of my sales are outside of the USA.

I think you site looks pretty good, it is a bit slow loading (I have dial up) with the pics but not so slow where I left.

Anyway- don't give up- and remember

Things don't always just happen - sometimes you need to make them happen.

Good luck!

Oh and by the way- I'd buy a tshirt from you- but you don't ship to the USA! :P

Archived