• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Setting up UPS Module -- How do they know?

milesdavis

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've got the UPS module installed, but once someone makes a purchase and chooses their UPS option -- how/where do I

a.) print out labels and info for their shipment

b.) contact UPS? < presumably, if there is someway to print out shipping labels and information, and if the client has a daily UPS pickup -- that would work.

I'm just blank on how to obtain the shippers info and relay it to UPS.

Basically, what do I need to do other than activate the module?

thanks!

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've got the UPS module installed, but once someone makes a purchase and chooses their UPS option -- how/where do I

a.) print out labels and info for their shipment

b.) contact UPS? < presumably, if there is someway to print out shipping labels and information, and if the client has a daily UPS pickup -- that would work.

I'm just blank on how to obtain the shippers info and relay it to UPS.

Basically, what do I need to do other than activate the module?

thanks!

You don't really need much at all. All the module does is give a real time quote for how much the shipping is going to cost them based on the address they provided. It doens't notify UPS that there is going to be a package delivered to them, and it doesn't pass UPS the address of the customer for you (although there is a contribution that will do that.)

In order to print UPS labels, you need to have an account with the UPS website. Then you'd go to their website, enter your customers address, pay the shipping charge, and print your label.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

You don't really need much at all. All the module does is give a real time quote for how much the shipping is going to cost them based on the address they provided. It doens't notify UPS that there is going to be a package delivered to them, and it doesn't pass UPS the address of the customer for you (although there is a contribution that will do that.)

In order to print UPS labels, you need to have an account with the UPS website. Then you'd go to their website, enter your customers address, pay the shipping charge, and print your label.

Thanks, that makes sense. Do you recommend any specific UPS contribs?

Also, let me ask since I've got this thread started already. When you goto your oders page, and you can update the status: pending, processing and delivered. Does delivered mean 'shipped'?? Shouldn't it be shipped so the customer knows the item has shipped?

thanks!!

md

When you say this module gives a real time quote for the purchaser shipping based on their address... is this a quote directly from the store address set in the configuration section to the purchaser's address? While the store address set is just a home address, the actual items are going to be shipped from a local 'Mailboxes Etc.' and I don't want to misquote! Does this matter? What should I do?

Thanks in advance for help!

// Jantzie

Thanks, that makes sense. Do you recommend any specific UPS contribs?

Also, let me ask since I've got this thread started already. When you goto your oders page, and you can update the status: pending, processing and delivered. Does delivered mean 'shipped'?? Shouldn't it be shipped so the customer knows the item has shipped?

thanks!!

md

md,

You can modify/add/delete your order statuses under Localization > Orders Status. I changed it from delivered to shipped myself. A recent customer had ordered something, noticing it said delivered and not had their item at the time, began a Visa dispute with their financial instutiion. Not good!

Basically, as I understand it, you can set as many as you need - some for your private backend use and some for user notification by the copy customer email function! I am pretty much a newbie at oscommerce but hope that helps!

// Jantzie

Archived