• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mail Limitations on OSC?

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anybody tested the mail classes up to its limits.

I'm just curious to know how many emails we can send before getting a time out?

I need to make sure this won't be a problem with say 5000 customers to send a newsletter.

Thanks!

Vincent

As John has said some hosts limit the number of emails a domain can generate an hour. If yours does then this number will be your limit.

I've had clients send well over 10K newsletters in one click...

Some hosts will have no problem with 5000 per hour, some will take exception to that and shut down your account. You need to check with your host. My host prefers that clients sent out no more than 500 per hour on shared servers. So, I uses PHPList and throttled it to 400 per hour, just to be on the safe side.

Using PHPList also helped me since it has a double opt-in system, which helped eliminate those rotten AOL users that click "spam" for newsletters that they signed up for during account creation.

-jared

• 7 months later...

I use PHPlist as well, but to let those of you who want to stay in osCommerce, I found a contrib called Advanced Bulk Mailer

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...all/search,bulk

I know this message was over a year ago, but hopefully someone will find it while doing a search. I wish more people would reply to old messages with an answer that they have found.

I use PHPlist as well, but to let those of you who want to stay in osCommerce, I found a contrib called Advanced Bulk Mailer

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...all/search,bulk

I know this message was over a year ago, but hopefully someone will find it while doing a search.  I wish more people would reply to old messages with an answer that they have found.

Interesting, how did you intergrate PHPList into osCommerce?

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Interesting, how did you intergrate PHPList into osCommerce?

Well I'll be making a contribution sooner or later when I'm done with the client I'm working for now.

the way I did it though was pretty easy. Right now I'm using STS though, so that might of made it a little easier.

first, setup PHPlist the way you want it....I would re-skin it to look like your site so that people don't think they got sent somewhere else. Make sure it's all ready to go!

Then using STS you create a custom box (instructions are in the .txt's and easily found in the forum). I named this box 'emailbox' so that STS can call to it easily ($emailbox).

I am sure the same can be done without STS.

Next go back to PHPlist and go to 'subscribe'. when your at the page where it asks which lists to signup for and any other options, make sure you do a get source on the page. Save the source so that you can pick out the elements you need.

in the box code I made it EXTREMLY simple.....in fact there is no PHP (if you don't want error correction, etc). Only the form elements are there.

find the form called 'subscribeform', should be the only one BTW. Now your going to have to take all of the form elements, including hidden fields and stick them into your emailbox.

the rest is straight HTML and I'm not going to explain in this thread how to write a FORM, just make sure though, that your form method is "post", the name="subscribeform" and the action="www.yoursite.com/listlocation/index.php?p=subscribe"

when you go to test it out and it dosn't immediatly jump to the "Thanks for subscribing page, please wait for confirmation email", then you have forgotten to include a form element that selects a certain option (for instance, country, or whether you want your emails in HTML format). EVERY form element must be present to get it to work! make sure you setup your list preferences correctly as well.

lastly, i forgot to mention the whole double entry of the email address. Your going to have to make TWO text fields to compare emails.

in the case of my client, they only wanted ONE text field and once you enter in your email, it send you to the PHPlist menu and it then takes over validation, etc. I initally had the compare email entries in the box code, but it took up alot of space.

I'll make a thread and contrib dedicated to the instructions of this in case I havn't been clear.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Shaun,

did you finally did the contrib? :rolleyes:

I am wondering about doing this... :D

Hey,

I was just searching on this, and found this page which has source code to integrate phplist into OsCommerce. You can get it here: http://www.phplist.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...ight=oscommerce

Get the downloadable package at the bottom and read the other comments throughout that page.

I haven't tried it myself, but plan on trying it over the next few days.

Let me know how you all go with it.

Cheers,

Chris :)

Archived