• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Remove Backup from Store? Very important??

EbizCraftsman

Hello,

Well this is my first time to these forums.. I have been using oscommerce for a while now.. This what I need :

How do I remove the Backup Feature from the admin area. I am putting alot of money into building these product filled sites and dont want anyone to be able to steal them and duplicate them once they purchase..

Please let me know.. I remove the backup directory, but anyone with any knowledge can just log in and create another one.. I need this feature completely removed..

Thanks a bunch :)

Someone with more knowledge may correct me but I believe what you are wanting to do is against the GPL. If you sell someone a store based on osC they have the right to do whatever they want with it, including copy it and you are not allowed to do anything that interfreres with that right.

If you sell the stores to them and give them access to the files then it is theirs and you do not have the legal right to put any conditions on what they do. If you are not comforatble with this you should use another program.

On another note the backup in the admin only backs up the database not the files. There is a lot of non-product info in the database such as orders and customer info and if you remove that ability from the store what happens if your clients lose that information. Are you going to keep backups for them or just tell them they are screwed.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

On another note after looking at your site and sites you are selling I notice that they are stock osC sites in that you have not changed anything except the logo yet you have removed the osCommerce copyright information from the footer. That is also not allowed. To qualify for removal of the copyright you need to make changes to the site such as replacing the images used, buttons, color etc and you have not done this.

You even replaced the powered by in the footer of your store with your company info in a completely stock osC install and you are worrying about someone stealing your work??

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

Archived