• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

first steps

ephraim613

Hi,

We are new to the osCommerce scene and after making very small steps in customizing the demo store we have started, there are few questions that I am having difficulties with. Until we become familiar with the store administration and the details of customizing it to our purpose ( lingerie and Jewelry buisness) we want to run the shop within our intranet only. I am currently have issues in setting the DNS on my linux box to achieve this. Like I would like to resolve

mylingeriestore.com or my jewelrystore.com to my test machine within the intranet without affecting the outside. I understand that this may be a bit off topic since it is beyond the osCommerce proper. However if anyone of you have done similar things I would appreciate your assistance. The other aspect that I am currently debating is the one of hosting the store on my servers ( very small home based LAN of 7 or 8 machines) or to host at some ISP. I am not sure about the type of control I have in either case. Your experience and advise would also be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Ephraim

resolve it to an ip address within the organization. then everyone accesses it via http://192.168.1.125 or something like that.

this isnt an oscommerce question but more of a network question. many other forums for doing this instead of here. do you have an MIS department or are you it?

I am the MIS department the Hardware manufacturers and the software guru :D

For now I have to rely on my own strengths or wicknesses. I have done the http://192.168.1.125 trick but would like to have a name resolved by my own DNS server.

I have other questions concerning the store itself but I would like to resovle issues stepwise.

Regards

Ephraim

It would be easier to set up a local DNS subdomain under your organizations domain. so if you are ephraim.com, make it shop.ephraim.com. That's what my company does with Intranet and Extranet sites.

ed

It would be easier to set up a local DNS subdomain under your organizations domain.  so if you are ephraim.com, make it shop.ephraim.com.  That's what my company does with Intranet and Extranet sites.

ed

Medvid,

Thank you for this pointer. I have started to study DNS under linux but I am lacking in knowledge. Could you recommand a book or site that gives some help on the subject.

Best regards

Ephraim Schoenfeld

Archived