• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

memory limit exceed on server

Has anybody ever exceeded the memory limit of their server with OS commerce? we just installed this and we've exceeded our limit a couple of times - i'd be surprised it's os commerce -but i'm just asking this question to be able to focus on what's causing it.

thanks

frank

most likely your host has things limited, you may want to discuss this with your host tech support, have them go over your server access/error logs. if they dont want to do that, then it is time for a new host.

most likely your host has things limited, you may want to discuss this with your host tech support, have them go over your server access/error logs.  if they dont want to do that, then it is time for a new host.

We looked at the log file to see what could be causing the problem and this is what our host told us (i'm having problems believing this since we had similar issues before with another shopping cart also i am logged in through ssh and i used top command and the usage is minimal like 5% and 95% idle)

"The issue with your account is probly related to osCommerce.

osCommerce is very heavy on its MySQL usage. What I would suggest is

that you order a dedicated server, and move your sites there."

did anyone have this problem before? i'm thinking of changing host if this continues.

ask your host how much memory you are supposed to have allotted to you. also monitor the top while working, to see what is going on.

it could be another shared server is eating the processor up.

ask your host how much memory you are supposed to have allotted to you.  also monitor the top while working, to see what is going on.

it could be another shared server is eating the processor up.

I am on a virtual server and I have 5 GB hard drive and 256 MB of RAM of memory.

i have many busy osCommerce sites on servers. even when the system is doing the backup to tape it isnt slow. ask your host to give you the logs where they are getting the info from so you can see what they are talking about.

perhaps time to move to a host who knows what they are doing . . .

i have many busy osCommerce sites on servers.  even when the system is doing the backup to tape it isnt slow. ask your host to give you the logs where they are getting the info from so you can see what they are talking about.

perhaps time to move to a host who knows what they are doing . . .

Thahks

thank you for this info...is there any hosts you can recommend - it's a shame to change hosts as they are usually extremely helpful but they've been passing the buck lately on this issue. They keep saying it's us...they point at one thing..we change it and still the problem is there so then they try to find something else we are doing wrong and so on...

Mibble is probably right about your hosting company - and they are probably giving you a load of horse manure - but there are a few things you can check.

1`. Make sure that in your configure.php files that use persistent connection is not set to 'true', as in

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');

2. Did you mean that you have your own Virtual Dedicated Server? If so, check your httpd.conf file and find where it lists the maximum number of concurrent connections, and try limiting this to around 20 at any one time.

Vger

Frank,

When you say "memory", do you really mean memory or disk storage or bandwidth? I've never heard of a hosting package that limited you to a certain amount of RAM. Disk Storage and Bandwidth, yes. Memory, no. Of course, I've only looked at a couple of dozen packages.

Thanks,

Ed

Frank,

When you say "memory", do you really mean memory or disk storage or bandwidth?  I've never heard of a hosting package that limited you to a certain amount of RAM.  Disk Storage and Bandwidth, yes.  Memory, no.  Of course, I've only looked at a couple of dozen packages.

Thanks,

Ed

Soory I have 250MB of RAM and I check at my config file and it was set to true

Archived