• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

is there any other ways to redirect my domain ????

mazhar

Hi everybody, can you please help me with this thingy..

OK. My domain points to Public_html folder and my OSC created in side another folder, as my web hosting comapany told me that they only install it in seperate folder , so as most of you know that i need to redirect mt domain to this folder like what its setup at the moment.

what Im looking for , Is there anyway of going a round this thing with out creating script or HTML page as front page ...etc .

Because all what its doing at the moment when you go to my website .. If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds..bla bla .!!!, ive set it to 0 seconds but still comes up .

The bottom line is . is there anyway that i can do it as OSC published in Public_HTML where my domain points.. as it needs the Index Page ..etc

Please help.

Thanks .

Maz

Why don't you have your host point it for you.

instead of public_html

public_html/catalog (or wherever it lives)

It will be live immediately, too.

That's what you pay them for :)

Hi everybody, can you please help me with this thingy..

OK. My domain points to Public_html folder  and my OSC  created in side another folder, as my web hosting comapany told me that they only install it in seperate folder , so  as most of you know that i need to redirect mt domain to this folder like what its setup at the moment.

what Im looking for ,  Is there anyway of going a round this  thing with out creating script or HTML page  as  front page ...etc .

Because all what its doing at the moment when you go to my website .. If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds..bla bla .!!!, ive set it to 0 seconds but still comes up .

The bottom line is . is there anyway that i can do it as OSC published in Public_HTML where my domain points..  as it needs the Index Page ..etc

Please help.

Thanks .

Maz

Why don't you have your host point  it for you.

instead of public_html

public_html/catalog (or wherever it lives)

It will be live immediately, too.

That's what you pay them for  :)

They told me we dont do that ... for some reason which i dont know.. but this is what they told me.. and all their servers are set up like that fore everyboady and my email system might not work .. bla bla bla ,, who knows and i wonder If i can get search engines...etc

Thanks dude for tha advice .. if there is no other way , i guess ill have to change them..

Cheers

maz

Move the catalog from public_html\catalog to public_html\.

I don't think search engines like script redirects.

ed

I did that before , it didnt work . thats why i called them to see if they can point it to store folder where the OSC lives.. stuffed up few things when i did that .. emails stoped working .. i had to login many times ,and even after i put it back where it was , had the same problems ... I was lucky i had backed it up ...before i did that..

cheers

Maz

There are several options to redirect. First, you can setup an .htaccess redirect which is my preferred method.

In .htaccess located in /public_html/ add this line to the bottom:

Redirect permanent /index.php http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog/index.php

This will automatically redirect and also send a 301 header which will transfer any accumulated Google PageRank along with it.

Alternately, you can add this code to your index.php file located in public_html/

<?
$goto = "http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog/";
header ("Location: $goto");
?>

There are several options to redirect.  First, you can setup an .htaccess redirect which is my preferred method.

This will automatically redirect and also send a 301 header which will transfer any accumulated Google PageRank along with it.

Alternately, you can add this code to your index.php file located in public_html/

<?
?>

You guys are just wonderful, just ur prefered option worked with no problems..

thanks alot guys for your help.

but would this still work for search engines and ....etc. ?

Thank you again.

The .htaccess is desireable since it will also transfer all Google PageRank and also refresh the URL's in their index. So, in short...the .htaccess method is designed just for spiders.

What I do on my site is have a link (a unix version of a shortcut in windows) to my images directory, one to my includes directory and I copied index.php to my main folder. If you visit my site (The Brass Bell), you'll notice the URL is thebrassbell.net until you click something, then it's still thebrassbell.net/oscommerce.

I have 3 different installs of OSCommerce actually running and just link the main mage this way to the install I need at the moment. One to run, one as a nightly backup, and one as a sandbox to install new modules, db hacks, whatever.

Of course, my site is still small enough that duping the db and data once a day is more than often enough for backup and change purposes. I'm always careful not to change URLS to keep the google links to my products intact (I have a couple, not many) :)

What I do on my site is have a link (a unix version of a shortcut in windows) to my images directory, one to my includes directory and I copied index.php to my main folder. If you visit my site (The Brass Bell), you'll notice the URL is thebrassbell.net until you click something, then it's still thebrassbell.net/oscommerce.

I have 3 different installs of OSCommerce actualy running and just link the main mage this way to the install I need at the moment. One to run, one as a nightly backup, and one as a sandbox to install new modules, db hacks, whatever.

Of course, my site is still small enough that duping the db and data once a day is more than often enough for backup and change purposes. I'm always careful not to change URLS to keep the google links to my products intact (I have a couple, not many)  :)

Thats cool,

I visited ur site and notices the change ., yes its great idea , i will give a try in the fure and see how it goes , as im planing to creat diffrent website(additional).

Thanks for your help dude.

Maz

Just a question, I used to have the Html re-direction in the index.php

If now I want to change to re-direct by the .htaccess

Can I delete the public_html/index.php?

Yes, I deleted my index.php or html I was using for redirection ..etc its cool.. once uve done it through htaccess u dont need it. just do it exactly like ED explained: u wont go wrong.

cheers

Maz

I have 3 different installs of OSCommerce actually running and just link the main mage this way to the install I need at the moment. One to run, one as a nightly backup, and one as a sandbox to install new modules, db hacks, whatever.

Of course, my site is still small enough that duping the db and data once a day is more than often enough for backup and change purposes. I'm always careful not to change URLS to keep the google links to my products intact (I have a couple, not many)  :)

...remember, for a high volume site that will most likely get tagged for duplicate content with Google. However, the soft link idea is pretty good. Now, you have to release the code per the forum rules and of course offer support :) How many people are going to understand "SSH in and ln -s ... " if they can't change the welcome text? :)

Delete it if you want...

Yes, I deleted my index.php or html I was using for redirection ..etc  its cool.. once uve done it through  htaccess u dont need it. just do it exactly like ED explained: u wont go wrong.

cheers

Maz

Who is ED?

...remember, for a high volume site that will most likely get tagged for duplicate content with Google.  However, the soft link idea is pretty good.  Now, you have to release the code per the forum rules and of course offer support :)  How many people are going to understand "SSH in and ln -s ... " if they can't change the welcome text? :)

Delete it if you want...

Who is ED?

sorry about that , i didnt know that i said ED,, i meant Chemo , sorry man.. forgive me man..

cheers

sorry about that .

Maz

sorry man , i didnt give you the code before ..

hope this will help

<?
?>

Actually, the above code can be replaced with:

<?
header("HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently");
?>

This will obviously send the 301 headers just like the .htaccess redirect. So, if a person is hosted on a server that is IIS based or uses...gasp...FrontPage to webmaster they can still achieve the same effect.

• 1 month later...
...remember, for a high volume site that will most likely get tagged for duplicate content with Google.  However, the soft link idea is pretty good.  Now, you have to release the code per the forum rules and of course offer support :)  How many people are going to understand "SSH in and ln -s ... " if they can't change the welcome text? :)

Delete it if you want...

Who is ED?

Yeah, how the heck DO you change the welcome text? ;)

Archived