• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy pricing system by feeding your costs

siavash

hi,

i need to be able to make product pricing more efficient and more effcective.

concept:

our suppliers, like perhaps many of yours, provide us with comprehensive csv data feeds including product name and model, manufacturer, images, short and long product descriptions, cost and list prices, stock availability, etc.

if you use easypopulate or any similar data feeder to upload your products and relevant data onto your osc and database. the information obtained from supplier can easily be fed onto your database using easypopulate except your PRICE! We need to separately calculate prices and put them in the easypopulate before upload. this is time consuming and not a very interesting job!

However if i could setup simple rules for oscommerce to determine prices for me based on a few variables such as my dealer price/product cost and cost of transaction and perhaps overheads input life would be a lot easier. pricing would be consolidated and osc would become a more powrful admin, sales, and management tool.

to do:

i would like to create extra fields in product entry page in admin. these fields are:

- product cost $

- RRP/List Price (including and excluding VAT?) $

- CC Transaction charges (i.e. % you pay your bank for trasactions or your own creit card surcharges for example)

- CC Processing cost %

(- mark-up) % or the desired gross marin %

- other costs $

- credits or bonus $

using these data we will be able to calculate the "product net price" based on the mark-up or desired gross margin we'd like to produce; rather than the curent situation that you have to calculate the net price separately somewhere else and then enter it in admin or feed it in using easypopulate.

On top of these i would like to show for every product a summary like this:

- product gross margin in $ and %

- total costs (of transaction to bank and PSP or other entities)

- customer saving on product relative to list price

to set the prices i would like to be able to see a list of all products (model-name) with the cost price (inclusive of transaction charges), List/RRP price, Net Price and a box in which i can enter %margin i would like to make.

can anyone help and give any insight into this? is this such a good idea at all?

if so can you help? please add your comments to this thread.

cheers.

Did you try? Did you fail? No matter! Try again. Fail again! But fail better!

Why not do this in the spreadsheet from the supplier? I would do it as part of the conversion of their spreadsheet to the EasyPopulate spreadsheet. That way, it's easier to tweak the formula and upload new prices.

ed

Why not do this in the spreadsheet from the supplier?  I would do it as part of the conversion of their spreadsheet to the EasyPopulate spreadsheet.  That way, it's easier to tweak the formula and upload new prices.

ed

yes, this is what i'm doing right now. the problem with this metod is that the current osc admin interface does not show me my cost price, List price and the relative price difference to the costumer and my margins per product. these things i believe are some of the important information you may need to manage a more effective store. the idea is to make admin activities a bit more automated and integrated rather than having to work separately on your excel etc. maybe i'm mistaken and this is not relevant at all!

what i'm going to do with such data (and even more information and integration in the future) is to enhance management reporting of the admin. this is just a mini kickoff idea! for example some of the things i'd like to eable my osc to do/report:

- i'd like to be able to dynamically plot (graphically) my products performance on a Boston or McKinsey Matrix (portfolio analysis of SBUs/Product Categories and top 20 single products in a given category)

- dynamic ratio analysis such as ROCE, NPV

- sales against target in figures and % diviation (budget variance?)

- dynamic competitor price comparison (top 10) to see how our prces rank and with what difference $ and %

- New Product ROI

- customer satisfaction (% returning cusomes, % positive reviews, % sales per customer, etc.)

being able to have access to up-to-date analytics like these will be a great support for running a more successful e-business.

what i think oscommerce and for that matter most e-commerce solutions need to improve is this sort of strategic managment analysis and reporting.

a contribution covering some or all of these will create real value.

any thoughts?

Did you try? Did you fail? No matter! Try again. Fail again! But fail better!

I think those would be excellent tools and abilities. But, is osCommerce the best place for it. Right now, it is an on-line catalog and shopping cart. I think it would be better to pull the data you need into another app to do those functions.

ed

• 8 months later...
I think those would be excellent tools and abilities.  But, is osCommerce the best place for it.  Right now, it is an on-line catalog and shopping cart.  I think it would be better to pull the data you need into another app to do those functions.

ed

What??? Personally, I think osCommerce would be an EXCELLENT place to manage this. It would make things SO much easier. Please, someone make a contribution to do this.... I couldn't figure it out. <_<

Medvid is right, while some of this, like automated price updates would be ok, an OLTP datbase is NOT the place to be doing analytical reporting.

Here's an artical I wrote talking about osCommerce and Analitical reporting that you might find interesting.

http://wizardsandwars-oscommerce.blogspot.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Medvid is right, while some of this, like automated price updates would be ok, an OLTP datbase is NOT the place to be doing analytical reporting.

Here's an artical I wrote talking about osCommerce and Analitical reporting that you might find interesting.

http://wizardsandwars-oscommerce.blogspot.com/

Although, I do see your point, I don't understand most of what you said. Please explain in terms that a person new to this (such as myself) would understand. To me, it sounds like you believe that nobody will ever be able to develop an application for osC to quickly do such things without bogging down server resources. I hope to some day see someone prove you wrong. I meant no offense by that remark, just saying "where there's a will, there's a way".

Archived