• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Generate html pages?

This article came into my email this morning and I'm wondering if it could be adapted for my full catalog:

http://devnewz.com/devnewz-3-20041109Gener...ServerLoad.html

I don't mind hosting a second set of pages (as long as the images aren't duplicated into another folder, of course) and the search engine friendly url's don't work with some of my installed contribs so this might be more feasible for me.

Not sure why you'd want to do that.

I can understand the very *slight* boost in search engines you *might* get from a url without a query string, but you can do that with one of the several mod re-write contributions out there.

Completly creating a static html page for each of your products and all of your main pages seems to be redundant, and without justification.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Not sure why you'd want to do that.

I can understand the very *slight* boost in search engines you *might* get from a url without a query string, but you can do that with one of the several mod re-write contributions out there.

Completly creating a static html page for each of your products and all of your main pages seems to be redundant, and without justification.

I have to disagree about the slight boost- before I started using the OSC catalog I could throw in particular search terms to Google and have my site pop right up- now, I'm not even on the list. If there's a contrib out there that will help and not interfere with the rest of the mods though- point me to it and I'd be more than happy to try it, I'd be thrilled! :P

I have to disagree about the slight boost- before I started using the OSC catalog I could throw in particular search terms to Google and have my site pop right up- now, I'm not even on the list. If there's a contrib out there that will help and not interfere with the rest of the mods though- point me to it and I'd be more than happy to try it, I'd be thrilled!  :P

Well, I could show you millions of sites out there that rank just as well with query string URLs as sites that don't have them, including several of our own. And we've tried it both ways, and there is no discernable difference, as long as the query strings are short, and there are less than 3 parameters.

Anytime you make a major change to your site, your are likely to impact your rankings. And if you new site isn't very well optimized, then it's possible to be a negative impact. Losing your rankings has nothing to do with the fact that your site is now in php, or that the urls have a query string in them.

There are dozens of threads in this forum concerning SEO, and even a few contributions. There's also an entry in the knowledge base specifically designed to help people get their OSC stores, query strings and all, into the major search engines.

I'd suggest reviewing all of these resources before proceeding.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived