• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax rates based on state counties

BiZ

I have views some threads on tax rates and tax zones. Recently the state of Ohio has required all business to apply sales taxes according the counties the purchaser is located in, or where the product is being shipped to. This is a new state law that will go in effect in April of 2005.

I can admit this is a pain, and adds more problems, as I can?t seem to figure out if Oscommerce can do tax rates based on counties/ zip codes for the state of OHIO only.

I guess Ohio business owners are in for a treat. The state claims they will provide some sort of software to add on to current online commerce stores, but yet to see anything released.

Anyone have any input on this option being available in OsCommerce?

• 2 weeks later...
I have views some threads on tax rates and tax zones. Recently the state of Ohio has required all business to apply sales taxes according the counties the purchaser is located in, or where the product is being shipped to. This is a new state law that will go in effect in April of 2005.

I can admit this is a pain, and adds more problems, as I can?t seem to figure out if Oscommerce can do tax rates based on counties/ zip codes for the state of OHIO only.

I guess Ohio business owners are in for a treat. The state claims they will provide some sort of software to add on to current online commerce stores, but yet to see anything released.

same problem here in florida, but no software help!!

same problem here in florida, but no software help!!

Same problem here in NY... I need muliple tax fields (without multiplying or adding on to each other) and be able to tie them to different counties assocaited with the users State.

So far I have conjured up...

Making Zones with State & County mixed i.e. NY-Wayne County with a common code of NY. 2 downfalls, user has to select from drop box when he/she puts in NY for a state on their create acct screen (the selections are visable however) but it still compounds the multiple taxes in "Tax Rates" and displays such on the screen.

I would say this is a major bug! B)

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

• 3 weeks later...

Keep me in the loop... I am trying to set up our e-commerce here in

Ohio and I'm facing the same thing. Rather frustrating.

I would think if they can create something that logs onto the UPS site

and calculates zones, there must be something that will work for

county tax.

-Steve

Keep me in the loop... I am trying to set up our e-commerce here in

Ohio and I'm facing the same thing.  Rather frustrating.

I would think if they can create something that logs onto the UPS site

and calculates zones, there must be something that will work for

county tax.

-Steve

Hi Steve, I have solved the county tax thing (I have over 90 for NY State) in and is working fine. If you want to test it: Heres my site When building your account, enter NY for your state, when you click continue, it will give you a drop down box to select the states county.

Here's the thread where I explained the admin stuff: HERE

I think it's the 2nd post down. I answered my own Q, but sometimes ya gotta get your hands dirty I guess.

Cheers, Ken

Ken, Thanks alot. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

-Steve

Hi Steve, I have solved the county tax thing (I have over 90 for NY State) in and is working fine. If you want to test it: Heres my site When building your account, enter NY for your state, when you click continue, it will give you a drop down box to select the states county.

I think it's the 2nd post down. I answered my own Q, but sometimes ya gotta get your hands dirty I guess.

Cheers, Ken

• 1 month later...

Cheers, Ken

I'm in Wisconsin and I have 72 counties to work with (o.k, so it's not as bad as 90). I followed the instructions in your admin instructions just fine, but now I'm having trouble with editing the appropriate .php file to create the listbox. Well, creating a list box isn't that hard. The difficult part is getting the label to read "State/Province". I think the file is create_account.php

Any help in this area would be most appreciated.

Hi,

To a fellow KJ I would suggest this...

State/Country Selector Contrib

It should install in minutes and achieve what you want.

Cheers, KJ

It appears that the current version of osCommerce has this contribution integrated.

Could it be that I'm doing something wrong and if so, what? The listbox (dropbox) is not being generated.

---K J Lehman :(

It appears that the current version of osCommerce has this contribution integrated.

Could it be that I'm doing something wrong and if so, what?  The listbox (dropbox) is not being generated.

---K J Lehman  :(

Hmmm, well I have origianlly milestone 2.2 (newly installed 11/29/04) and the only way on my original osC that I would have a dropdown box was if it didn't match up a state correctly to the inputted data, it would give the error line and display "please select a state from the drop down box". Other than that error it was a regular text input box by default.

I'm not sure what snapshot you have compared to mine? I thought I had the latest snap.

Regards, KJ

Archived