• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help Newbie Trying To Set up UK Spec Site

G@tanningcreams.net

Thank you for your Help

I am very new to this and need help and direction I am willing to learn but am self taught .

I am trying to set up 2 new websites one wholesale and one retail.

I have started altering the config to uk and have come accross some problems already .

I have just downloaded 2 os commerce templates from Lycos.

I have tried to change the index php to show a welcome from my website eg Welcome to Tan-us and errors occured .

Is there something I need to do to the admin section before I can start to alter the configuration to UK format.

I know I seem a little dumb but if someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

I am not a techy so simple is best many thanks

Graham

Ok best thing to do when you want to alter files is to get a php editor. It will count your lines and colour code alot. Just search for free php editor and you will be able to find some.

When you done that, explain what you mean with editing to UK config. My store is from Uk to only UK so i might be able to help if you are specific in what you need.

Giovanna

This is one error that has come up in catergories and products

Error Error: Catalog images directory does not exist: /data/members/paid/t/a/tan-us.co.uk/htdocs/www/images/

also in tools -: Error: Backup directory does not exist. Please set this in configure.php.

in cache control -:Error Error: Cache directory does not exist. Please set this Configuration->Cache.

I am just lost which way to go forward I am having information overload .

I am backing up to my PC at the moment is this right or wrong?

How do I create a bacup when back up directory doe not exist.

All help will be apreciated many thanks again

Graham

Are you using Lycos as a web hosting company? If you are then you seriously need to rethink that decision. Their servers get so overloaded that you'll have to get used to your site being offline.

To create a backup directory just ftp to your website and create a directory called 'backup' and make sure that you have the correct pathway to it in configure.php.

If you are not going to be using a cache (I'd recommend you not to use one) then in your osCommerce Control Panel just make sure that under Configuration, where it says Use Cache set this to false.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...
Are you using Lycos as a web hosting company?  If you are then you seriously need to rethink that decision.  Their servers get so overloaded that you'll have to get used to your site being offline.

Vger

Is this a recent problem? I have just upgraded my Lycos account to install oscommerce. Is it against forum rules to recommend hosts?

No, it's not against Forum Rules to recommend hosts (unless you happen to be the host you're recommending). But it's not against the rules to criticise hosts either - provided it's not criticism for the sake of it, and provided it's not libelous.

Vger

I had an e-mail reply from Lycos 3 weeks after I sent the question which was password related, also I tried accessing the MySql Admin to upload a file for a contribution but it denies me access. They do have a phone line which is not too expensive ?0.12 but it is only open in the week when I work.

Archived