We can answer that here. :thumbsup:

The topic was

how to make thte /zencart not show up

Answer: Uninstall it and install osCommerce instead :D

ed

Ok, my question still applies for oscommerce

I also have oscommerce installed in another location:

http://www.shekhtman.com/webstore

How do I make the /webstore not show up?

I don't want people to see a /webstore at the end.

Just for them to type http://www.shekhtman.com and it goes right away to

the index.php under the /webstore.

Thank you,

--Alex

p.s. I am testing two shopping carts to see what I like better and so far oscommerce

is winning (at least when Netscape is used) because the refresh is fast and smooth).

Alex,

It never hurts to shop around. :P

You need to move all of the code from the /webstore directory up one level. If you have telnet/shell access (assuming Unix/Linux) you can do a mv * .. -r. Otherwise, it's ftp /webstore down to your local PC and ftp the files up to / (root of web site or /public_html or whatever). Then, modify includes/configure.php and remove "webstore/" wherever you find it.

ed

Alex,

It never hurts to shop around.  :P 

You need to move all of the code from the /webstore directory up one level.  If you have telnet/shell access (assuming Unix/Linux) you can do a mv * .. -r.  Otherwise, it's ftp /webstore down to your local PC and ftp the files up to / (root of web site or /public_html or whatever).  Then, modify includes/configure.php and remove "webstore/" wherever you find it. 

ed

What does it mean to modify the includes/configure.php. And why can't I move everything right away in ftp one level? It can't be done. I do have ssh access for my accont though. So what, just do the command "mov * .. -r" and it will move the whole thing up one level?

Also, what about the index.html; what happens it to; how do I have users to to my site or my store all with the same: www.shekhtman.com or that is not possible.

If not, then I would like for a subdomain: webstore.shekhtman.com pointing to

www.shekhtman.com/index.php and when it goes to it, that www.shekhtman.com should show up instead of webstore.shekhtman.com. Is that my best option given that I would like both index.hmtl and index.php to work at the same time under the root dir?

By the way, thank you very much for your help.

---Alex

Alex,

You need to move the files from /webstore to your root web folder. I offered some generic suggestions. Ignore them if they were confusing or inaccurate or you nkow hot to do that step yourself. It's sometimes hard to judge peoples' tech comfort level and/or what tools they have available.

If you have ssh, you can do the mv command. Test it first. Instead of mv * .. -r, just mv index.php .. and check that it worked.

ftp transfers files from one computer to another, not between folders on a single computer. That's why I suggested the download/upload scenario.

There are 2 files called configure.php. One is currently in /webstore/includes/. The other is in /webstore/admin/ or in /admin/. You will see code in there that defines your catalog and admin directory structures. Some will say /webstore. If you move to the web site root, it will be "/", not "/webstore". Edit those files and make the changes.

As for your web page. What is index.html used for? iF it will be your home page, you can put a link in there for the WebStore and have it link to index.php.

You're welcome.

ed

Archived