• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How important is W3C compliance to PR?

There is lively discussion on the importance of W3C compliant code bases on other forums. Personally, I've noticed that each validation page shows a PR6 in IE. If this PR is passed that would certainly mean at least a PR4 for that particular page and from an authority site.

So, the question is how important do you think a W3C compliant code base is to website performance, SERP's, and Google PageRank?

Why would it be when Google's own pages do not validate with the standards?

Good point...but why would a validation from W3C page display PR if it is not being passed? There is no dispute that a link from a PR6 page will pass significant rank.

Also, if you notice on the W3C site Google is listed as a Gold Sponsor...which indicates to me that the Big G recognizes the value in interoperable webpages even if it's own pages are not standard.

From a personal POV I think W3C validation and compliance is a must for any site designed. That's what the W3C stands for.

Validation is the first step to an acceptable site across all browsers, reaching out to as many potential users as possible.

My next step is to validate my current project to W3C standards, hopefully XHTML, but a minimum of HTML 4.01.

Having recently read Zeldmans book - Designing with Web Standards - tables are still acceptable when used in conjunction with CSS, but NOT to the the extremes that they used to be.

Ok, so an online shop is different and currently the tabled design for OSC is great. I look forward to a no tables version when it arrives.

Surely any designer/developer should be designing to a minimum of XHTML transitional and CSS1 and WAI A for minimum accessability.

Having recently read Zeldmans book - Designing with Web Standards - tables are still acceptable when used in conjunction with CSS, but NOT to the the extremes that they used to be.

Surely any designer/developer should be designing to a minimum of XHTML transitional and CSS1 and WAI A for minimum accessability.

I agree...and my site uses tables for layout. However, it is still HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS valid code PLUS WAI-AA compliant :)

I agree...and my site uses tables for layout.  However, it is still HTML 4.01 Transitional and CSS valid code PLUS WAI-AA compliant :)

Good for you. Tables are not as bad as people make out and IMHO if used in the right way can do wonders.

Zeldmans book was a eyeopener and the next one on my list is Eric Meyer on CSS.

I have a site that I manage that I want to validate, (it doesn't yet), and it only uses tables for displaying images, eg an image map with no active links. It is a sliced image of a poster advertising an event.

Good point...but why would a validation from W3C page display PR if it is not being passed?  There is no dispute that a link from a PR6 page will pass significant rank.

The Validation Page doesn't pass pagerank to your site. Your site would pass pagerank to it, if you have a validation button. Pagerank is based on pages linked to you as indexed by Googlebot. There would be no reason for Googlebot to find a link to your site from the W3C's. The reason the W3C has the page rank they do is because so many people link to them.

Pagerank is based on incoming links not outgoing links. Outgoing links actually decrease your pagerank value.

The Validation Page doesn't pass pagerank to your site. Your site would pass pagerank to it, if you have a validation button.  Pagerank is based on pages linked to you as indexed by Googlebot. There would be no reason for Googlebot to find a link to your site from the W3C's. The reason the W3C has the page rank they do is because so many people link to them.

Pagerank is based on incoming links not outgoing links. Outgoing links actually decrease your pagerank value.

Why, then, does my site have a PR4 yet when validating the page it has a PR6 on the W3C site? Obviously, a PR4 single link to a page will not result in a PR6 of that page.

See my logic?

The W3C validatin page has a PR6 which is exponentially higher than my PR4. How can this be? IMO, Google gives high rank to the authority site that is W3C...

As an example look at this link: W3C validation page for my homepage

Notice, it has a PR6 and a link to my homepage in the HTML.  Why would this validation page NOT pass rank?

Because Googlebot would not see it in its normal travels. It will see a blank validation page. The way it would help your site is if the W3C listed every page that validates on their site on a standard links page.

If your site links to the validation page and Googlebot follows it, then the link back will be given little relevance in the link back. Sure it may help a little but having links to your site from other sites in the same topical area will have a lot more relevance and hence better enhance your pagerank. Googlebot doesn't care if it validates if it can read the code. Having a pagerank of 4 isn't hard to get. I can get that to any new sites with less than 10 links back to it.

However, don't take my word for it. I started this same discussion on SitePoint in their community forums and people there agree with me. Go check it out. You can even look at Sergey & Brin's thesis which can be found through Google and has the pagerank formula in it.

On further discussion over at SitePoint. It would seem that the W3C disallows well behaved spiders, like googlebot, from even indexing the /check folder of the validator.

http://validator.w3.org/robots.txt

#
# robots.txt for validator.w3.org
#
# $Id: robots.txt,v 1.3 2000/12/13 13:04:09 gerald Exp $
#

User-agent: *
Disallow: /check

Archived