• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Saving a "Master" installation w/ contributions?

hebert01

Hi-

I just completed a customization of osC, setting it up with all of the contributions I'll use, etc. I not only modified many files, but also the mySQL database, etc. Everything's working well.

Now I'd like to archive this new configuration as my "master" for future installations of osC that I may need.

What's the proper way to save everything just as I have it set up now to my local computer, and make it easier for me to install this configuration to another server in the future? If I follow the default installation procedure (following the prompts), I'd be forced to redo all my work. Not sure of the best way to do this..

Thanks in advance for your help!

backup the database first, storing it in the admin/backups directory, then zip the whole site to a file. then all you have to do is unzip to another directory each time you want to use it. just never overwrite anything in this file at all anymore.

Hi-

I just completed a customization of osC, setting it up with all of the contributions I'll use, etc.  I not only modified many files, but also the mySQL database, etc. Everything's working well.

Now I'd like to archive this new configuration as my "master" for future installations of osC that I may need. 

What's the proper way to save everything just as I have it set up now to my local computer, and make it easier for me to install this configuration to another server in the future?  If I follow the default installation procedure (following the prompts), I'd be forced to redo all my work. Not sure of the best way to do this..

Thanks in advance for your help!

If this is on your local pc, why not back up the db and then create a zip archive of everything EXCEPT the two configure.php files.

When you next install onto a server, install the stock osc and then FTP all the files in the zip to the new server and restore the db.

Have I missed anything? Does this sound alright?

you would still want the configure.php files, then all you have to do is modify them.  if you dont have the configure.php files you are scr....

But if you do a stock install first to get it done, these files would be setup with all the necessary info. It's just a case of copying the new files across.

so... for an install that's not on my local pc, I'd first need to copy everything to local via FTP, then backup my database to the admin/backups directory on my local machine, then zip it all up?

Just making sure I've got it. I'm just a simple caveman.

what ed was talking about, is after the modifications, etc to the database and such, that he now has a custom installation. so if he were to do a stock installation, all the database changes are gone. the installation could also fail if he uses the modified code, as the database would not be complete, with all the new fields, etc.

thus it is easier to ftp the site to where it is to be installed, use phpmyadmin or mysql connector to setup the database and manually change the parameters for the configure.php files and you are up and going in about 5 minutes.