• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basic Installation

danmagicman7

Hi

I have my own webspace that supports mySQL.

I have absolutly no idea how to get osCommerce or Interchange up and running. I understand you have to make a mySQL database but how do i do this? Is there some basic tutorial? Also, when i go on the interchange website, it says "in the server console" or whatever... How do i access my server's console? I need a basic tutorial that will walk me through. I really want to get interchange up and running but the documentation is poor and the support forum has no people on it. The osCommerce seems alot more user friendly, but the template of the website is predefined. I am a web designer and would like to design the whole website to my bidding.

Thanks!

I can upload and download files -- been doing it for many years.  I can "create" a database. In my control panel and so on...no idea what to do with it.  More useful help would be appreciated.

As an example, my hosts control panel already has the db installed with a specific name. So my details would be:

database name = dbname

user name = whatever

password = whatever

When you install osc, if your db is there, you just add this info in the required fields at install and osc does the rest.

HTH

As an example, my hosts control panel already has the db installed with a specific name.  So my details would be:

database name = dbname

user name = whatever

password = whatever

When you install osc, if your db is there, you just add this info in the required fields at install and osc does the rest.

HTH

How do i tell it to install?

I answered the way I did because of this from you:

I have absolutly no idea how to get osCommerce or Interchange up and running. I understand you have to make a mySQL database but how do i do this?

to me that means you do not know how to set[up a database. then later in the thread you say you know how to. so please be truthful in your original post and that helps us all.

the knowledge base is for installing osCommerce, not how to setup a mysql database. the knowledge base will show you how to connect to a database you have already created. osCommerce does not create the database, it only populates it.

I answered the way I did because of this from you:

to me that means you do not know how to set[up a database.  then later in the thread you say you know how to.  so please be truthful in your original post and that helps us all.

the knowledge base is for installing osCommerce, not how to setup a mysql database.  the knowledge base will show you how to connect to a database you have already created.  osCommerce does not create the database, it only populates it.

Well, i can click a few buttons and click the "make new database" button but i have no idea what it does or how i can create it. I dont know how to "set up" a database.

Thank you for the help Delicata and Mibble

On the other hand... does anyone know if interchange works the same way?

I need to be able to customize the store completely. From my current knowledge oscommerce has a predefined template and interchange you can make your own. Am i wrong?

Well, i can click a few buttons and click the "make new database" button but i have no idea what it does or how i can create it.  I dont know how to "set up" a database.

Thank you for the help Delicata and Mibble

On the other hand... does anyone know if interchange works the same way?

I need to be able to customize the store completely.  From my current knowledge oscommerce has a predefined template and interchange you can make your own.  Am i wrong?

Can you ask your host to install the db for you?

I know mine came with 1 db and I just clicked 'install' and bingo. It gave me all the database info etc. It was then just a case of running the osc intall and away it went.

BTW what is Interchange?

Can you ask your host to install the db for you?

I know mine came with 1 db and I just clicked 'install' and bingo.  It gave me all the database info etc.  It was then just a case of running the osc intall and away it went.

BTW what is Interchange?

Interchange is osCommerce on steroids.

Hmm...I created a database with a username and everything and can't seem to get it working. >_<

Archived