• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Viable Hosting Solutions

flurrball

I have read the forums a bit, so forgive me if this question has been answered.

I am making a site using OSC, and have successfully installed and configured it on my computer, for testing purposes. I would now like to find a host that will be able to handle a medium amount of traffic.

Since I'm doing this for a large company, I am thinking I need a dedicated server, but I have never dealt with any OS's besides Windows.

Would it be better to get a server with MySQL, PHP, and Apache already installed?

Should I get a dedicated server? Should it be a Windows server?

Is there some other hosting solution that would more fit my needs?

Which hosts are known in the OSC community to be reliable?

Thanks for help with any of these questions. This is my first venture into hosting for a large company so any help is appreciated.

I have read the forums a bit, so forgive me if this question has been answered.

I am making a site using OSC, and have successfully installed and configured it on my computer, for testing purposes. I would now like to find a host that will be able to handle a medium amount of traffic.

Since I'm doing this for a large company, I am thinking I need a dedicated server, but I have never dealt with any OS's besides Windows.

Would it be better to get a server with MySQL, PHP, and Apache already installed?

Should I get a dedicated server? Should it be a Windows server?

Is there some other hosting solution that would more fit my needs?

Which hosts are known in the OSC community to be reliable?

Thanks for help with any of these questions. This is my first venture into hosting for a large company so any help is appreciated.

IMHO you need a host that offers MySQL and PHP as standard. FWIW, Apache would be better than Windows. You also need a good amount of bandwidth, unlimited is better and a shared SSL certificate, (your own is more desirable).

shared certs should come with your hosting plan if you don't go dedicated.

Althought unlimited sounds great on the forefront, consider asking their support bandwidth questions and you will find that there are limits, they call them system resources, and claim that if you use too much of them, they will terminate your service. It happens all the time with many sites who think they were getting enough.

Need Hosting? Just ask!

Althought unlimited sounds great on the forefront, consider asking their support bandwidth questions and you will find that there are limits, they call them system resources, and claim that if you use too much of them, they will terminate your service.  It happens all the time with many sites who think they were getting enough.

Now here's interesting.

I administer/maintain a site that's been going for nearly four years now, (it started as a personal site and I sold it to my local council), and the host imposes restrictions on certain filetypes and sizes, (eg: no .exe, .cmd, mp3s and such like especially if over 1MB) due to the plan it is on.

We currently have a few .pdfs hosted and one is over 4MB in size. AS YET I have had no comment from the host. I pre-empted it by asking the support if .pdfs were an issue as it was not in the T&Cs or other docs. No response, so I assume it is a grey area.

Archived