• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cache Problem

PcMaTriX

Hi,

When i define the Cache folder as /tmp and goes in as admin to Cache control the error message is:

Error: Cache directory does not exist. Please set this Configuration->Cache.

although the folder exist at root/tmp

Please Help. :'(

When you enter the folder address in your osCommerce control panel and it is in the root of your website, then the address is tmp/

If this is a live website on a shared server I wouldn't enable cache anyway.

Vger

• 4 weeks later...

i had this same problem! this is a second install and it still dont work i have defined my cache folder every where at it is still not finding it

When you enter the folder address in your osCommerce control panel and it is in the root of your website, then the address is tmp/

Vger

Vger

Why wouldnt you enable cache if it is a live website on a shared server? I was just reading about the benefits....and was about to start the whole process...and then I saw your comment..

btw..I enabled GZIP Compression as well.... I cant tell until I can access the site using dialup...but I read it dramatically increases the sites speed...

The cache facility uses the same 'tmp' folder (be default) that is used when sessions are stored in files. With some hosting companies, even if you place the 'tmp' folder somewhere it should not be able to be accessed by other sites you will find that it actually links into a common tmp folder set up by the hosting company. I have seen it happen time and time again that caches, even when 'tmp' folders are correctly set up, out of the web root directory, result in other websites 'categories' boxes (and other info boxes) appearing in place of your own boxes on your own website. Technically I can't explain why this happens - I just know that it does. It seems that the problem is worse when the hosting company is a low cost hosting company that absolutele packs its servers with web sites. (1000+ per server)

Vger

Archived