• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modifications - Following Instructions??

I have noticed on almost all modifications that there are several revisions. Meaning an original was posted then some modification was made to either fix a bug or text, etc. Then possibly another mod at a later date to fix this or that, etc etc etc.

My question is...

When I want to use a specific modification. Do I have to install the first (lowest) download and then the next one up and follow instructions, then the next (third from bottom) and then (fourth from bottom), etc?

Or can I just install the furthest top modification and it will include the full files and corrections as the most up-to-date full version? Many don't say what to do. Thus, I am asking. I'm sure it's confused allot of newbies. Some experienced users out here may be able to assist in answering this.

If it depends on which mod I am downloading, then that doesn't help me (or anyone) unless it tells the person downloading to install the most up-to-date file and it has the full version with all corrections. That would be a self explainatory one. But most don't do that. Am I to assume that you have to manually install each from the bottom up? Whew! That's a booger of a project on some of them that have over ten changes. he he he

Your constructive input and suggestions are appreciated. One example that i've looked at tonight is:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,535

This is an example of which file do you download? The most current (top) one or download all of them starting and installing them each one by one from the bottom up and follow directions on each before installing the next?

Again, thanks!

:thumbsup:

ahhhhhh, the million dollar question. not all follow what is supposed to be done with contributions. some make a small change then post just that change. thus you need to read thru the contributions one at a time to see which one is complete, then install the individual updates listed after that.

Install the newest one. All versions oa a contrib *should* have all of the necessary files. Regrettably, some don't, and only include a few of the "fixed" files.

Pay attention to the descriptions of the files you're downloading, and make sure that there is a readme or installation guide that specifies all of the necessary files.

HTH

-jared

In the specific example, it looks like the latest version is complete. I draw this from the number of files in the .zip, not from personal experience.

As for the larger question, it varies. Some people post the whole contrib with the changes included. Others post just the changed file(s). Others use the contrib site to post questions or complaints. :angry:

When in doubt, download a couple of versions, read the contents, see if they seem complete. If still in doubt, come ask here. Actually, go post in the Contributions Support forum. Actually, check to see if there's already a support thread there first, then post if necessary.

ed

Hey all, thanks a bunch! I was kind of figuring this would be that 'million dollar question'. he he he

Anyways, thanks for the prompt responses. I will have to pay particular attention to what is posted. I wasn't sure if there were rules that contributioneers follow or not. So, I wanted to ask. Again, much appreciated!

Hey all, thanks a bunch! I was kind of figuring this would be that 'million dollar question'. he he he

Anyways, thanks for the prompt responses. I will have to pay particular attention to what is posted. I wasn't sure if there were rules that contributioneers follow or not. So, I wanted to ask. Again, much appreciated!

Well they are supposed to post complete versions instead of just a couple of updated files but as everywhere else no everyone follows the rules.

One thing you should do before installing a contribution is check out the support thread for that particular contribution before installing it. This will save you time and energy as it will give you quite a bit of info you will probably need to know. I never install a contribution without checking to see what kind of experience others have had first.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

I second Richard's comments. I nearly installed the autologin contrib, only to find out that the author wasn't paying much attention to the support thread, and that most comments there were not positive.

-jared

Archived