• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Edited english.php, undid it, still broke!

bluzplayer

I edited the english.php file using the editor in the tools section, and I've been editing files long enough (20 years now) to know I put it back like it was. Howcum I get a parse error now, and my online catalog won't even load, I just get a parse error on line 79 of english.php???

I was following instructions from another post on how to change Top and Catalog so clicking Top took you back to Home rather than your main root page. Geez! All I did was change 'Top' to '' and back to 'Top' !!

Thx for pointers how to get a new file or whatever will fix this!

All I did was change 'Top' to '' and back to 'Top'

If this is exactly what you done then you have a parse error.

YOu should have typed 'and back to \'Top ');

Regards

PhilipH

bluzplayer,

If I understand you correctly you used the filemanger located in admin-tools, correct?

Right there is your problem. I have heard horrible stories about using that for an editor. If you have a backup of the files you editied then restore them and all should work. Then download the files to your local machine and edit them there, then upload..DO NOT USE the admin-tools-editor. (I believe one of it's problems is that it strips our the "\" from coding. So if you have something like it\'s a wonderful day, it will strip it out to it's a wonderful day..this is causing the parse errors.

If you don't have a backup of the files, then download the files you edited and go thru them line by line (sucks I know) and look for the missing code.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but I do believe that it is the use of the editor that is causing your problem.

RavenWulf

I edited the english.php file using the editor in the tools section, and I've been editing files long enough (20 years now) to know I put it back like it was.? Howcum I get a parse error now, and my online catalog won't even load, I just get a parse error on line 79 of english.php???

I was following instructions from another post on how to change Top and Catalog so clicking Top took you back to Home rather than your main root page.? Geez!? All I did was change 'Top' to '' and back to 'Top' !!

Thx for pointers how to get a new file or whatever will fix this!

Archived