• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

13 Meg Download Limit?

::sigh:: Just when I thought I had everything working great... For some reason when people buy downloadable products it cuts the file off at 13 megs. Anybody know what's up with that? Is there a setting somewhere for a max download amount?

This will be a limit set by your hosting company in php.ini.? Actually 13Mbs is quite high for a shared server.

Vger

My hosting company insists that this is not an issue with the server, and that they tested the store and were able to download the entire file. I can't however, from multiple computers. Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

Try setting

Administration->Configuration->Download->Download by redirect

to true.

It might work....

Tom

It's already is set to redirect. I'm running on a windows server so it wouldn't even work it it was set to false.

From what I have read, the maximum execution time of a PHP script (default 30 s) might also be the culprit.

I'm not sure that's the case. It seems to be happening at 13 megs each time. If it were 30 seconds then it would be a different file size each time before it cuts out. On a side note, is there a way to offer multiple files on one purchase as a workaround?

My hosting company insists that this is not an issue with the server

I don't know of any hosting company offering people websites on shared servers who do not put a limit on the size of downloads allowed, either via php.ini or in httpd conf. I think your hosting company are telling you whoppers!

Vger

• 1 month later...

The problem is a memory limit with PHP in your host server. By default, PHP script memory is 8MB, which is not enough for downloads > 3MB

Try getting a copy of your host's php.ini file, then put a copy of it in the OsCommerce catalog/ folder, and change the setting:

memory_limit = 8M    ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

to something like

memory_limit = 20M    ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB).

You might want to contact your host company because this will take considerable resources. You will want to change the last part of your download.php file from

readfile(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD . $downloads['orders_products_filename']);

to

$fp = fopen(DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD . $downloads['orders_products_filename'],'r');
while(!feof($fp)) {
   $buffer = fread($fp, 4096);
print $buffer;
}
fclose($fp);

to prevent using too many resources and your host company getting pissed off at you. :P

Hope this helps!

~Jorge

Archived