• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email varification!

WiseWombat

Hi just a question about email varification:

If a customer creates an account is there any way to verify that is is infact a logitimate email address they entering before the account is created.

I am having alot of returned emails stating that this email address has permanent fatal errors. and warnings from isp.

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Hi just a question about email varification:

If a customer creates an account is there any way to verify that is is infact a logitimate email address they entering before the account is created.

I am having alot of returned emails stating that this email address has permanent fatal errors. and warnings from isp.

Yes that would be a great feature.

There is a feature to verify email using DNS.

This does a reverse lookup on the email domain to make sure the domain actually has a mail record to deliver mail.

The only way to *garuantee* an email address is correct is to send them an email which they need to click on to continue.. I wouldnt recommend this for an ecommerce application however as many users will give up and go somewhere else when a step like that is added to the process.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

There is a feature to verify email using DNS.

This does a reverse lookup on the email domain to make sure the domain actually has a mail record to deliver mail.

The only way to *garuantee* an email address is correct is to send them an email which they need to click on to continue.. I wouldnt recommend this for an ecommerce application however as many users will give up and go somewhere else when a step like that is added to the process.

Sorry about the late relpy Mark and yes It would be a concern to loose customers be sending them to another page to verify email.

Is there a way to log customers ip addresses that create an account??

Reasons when a customer provides faulse and misleading information when they create an account

This account user can then get blocked from further access to your web site for future Visits

( WARNING )

There is a contribution to record the IP address for orders etc in the contributions section.

This will be done as standard in MS-3.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

There is a contribution to record the IP address for orders etc in the contributions section.

This will be done as standard in MS-3.

Thanks sparky is there one in particular that you might suggest?

( WARNING )

• 2 months later...

WiseWombat, Were you able to accomplish this? I looked through the contributions, and saw a couple, but none were at the time of account creation. What I want to be able to do is record the IP and a date/time stamp when the account was created.

I looked at the database, and see a timestamp is recorded in one table already... but I'd like the info also in the customers table, along with the IP.

Anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish this? :blush:

Thanks.

Thanks sparky is there one in particular that you might suggest?

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

I would presume that on the account_signup.php? page has an array of data to input into the database, just add a colonm in the table customers and add a line that adds the ip address, when the signup page adds the rest of the data.

Kind Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave... I looked through the code, and a couple of the other contributions that track the IP on orders. I may give trying this a shot in the next day or so.

Looks like I need to edit Create_Account.php by adding a line something like echoing

$ip = $HTTP_SERVER_VARS["REMOTE_ADDR"];

and placing it into the new database field in the customers table when the form is posted.

I see that in the customers_info table there is a field that is called "customers_info_date_account_created" which has a date and time stamp. I'm gonna have to find where this is passed, and see if I can also get it to pass into the customers table to do what I want to accomplish. or maybe there is just a way to have this show up in the customers admin view.

Ultimately what I want to be able to do is export a customer list which includes the date/time stamp and IP address of when a customer signed up. (not when they ordered)

Since I'm a PHP/osCommerce rookie could anyone give some additional tips or advice, before I get started, or post a possible example?

Thanks again.

I would presume that on the account_signup.php? page has an array of data to input into the database, just add a colonm in the table customers and add a line that adds the ip address, when the signup page adds the rest of the data.

Kind Regards

Dave

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Archived