• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customers not able to get to site??

Hi everyone

I just made the switch from Cubecart to Oscommerce (3 days ago) and I must say it?s bloody brilliant what a difference. I am also amazed by the amount of support offered and I think you all are doing a great job. I have a question I hope someone can answer silly as it may be?

Q: Can you think of any reasons why some of my international customers can?t get to my site anymore while others have no problems? (It seems that it might branch out to most of the US)

I have one lady who?d I?d say is my best customer who was able to order once a week and now can?t even get to the site even when using a friends computer, she travels all over the States every few months and says she has tried on many a computer?? Hummm puzzling I have even called her whilst on the computer sending her links etc.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, my brain has chosen to pause lol.

Cheers Everyone

My guess is that the site is timing out. You have saved all of your images as large files. A 100x80 image is over 21K in size, and you have 25 of them on the homepage. That's a half a megabyte for the images alone, and if someone has a normal 56k connection, which probably downloads at about 5-7 k - well you work the maths out.

Vger

I'm not Vger, but his avatar is of Sean Young in Blade Runner.

There are a few contributions that are automatic "Thumbnailers" (do a search) to shrink the pictures. Personally, I couldn't get them to work because of my PHP version, so I just manually resized all the pictures by hand using imaging software. Time consuiming, but essential. I try to keep the images down around 10K each.

- osCommerce is fun! -

I'm not Vger, but his avatar is of Sean Young in Blade Runner

HER avatar is of Sean Young in Blade Runner! Except Vger is a whole lot older!

To reduce the amount of kilobytes used by images, just use Photoshop. Open existing JPG images, select 'Save a copy', and you'll see a ticked box which says 'exclude non-image data'. Save the file in the same name, but you'll have to save it to a different folder (can't save it to the same folder if it's already open). The thing is that jpegs contain a lot of data to do with jpegs and not to do with the actual image. You can look at the properties of two images, one gif, one jpeg, and they may say they're both 10K, but this is not true, as it doesn't report the non-image data, and so the jpeg file can actually be up to 40k or more in size. Using the 'Save a copy' option with the 'exclude non-image data' selected reduces the file size dramatically.

Also, save the images in thumbnail size to begin with, and let the program enlarge from that original thumbnail. Don't save the image as the large size and get the programme to downsize it, because this only downsizes the displayed image and not the file size.

Vger

Thanks Vger!!

use Photoshop. Open existing JPG images, select 'Save a copy', and you'll see a ticked box which says 'exclude non-image data'.

I don't see a ticked box which says 'exclude non-image data' am I doing something wrong?

Once again thanks

Archived